PDA

View Full Version : APCs & New Black Asphalt Driveway

Swanicyouth
03-28-2016, 11:21 AM
New house. Driveway couldn`t be done over the winter. My driveway was poured about 2 weeks ago, dunno exactly what it is, but it looks like asphalt or "blacktop" to me.

Knowing that anything I touch I have the possibility to screw up - does anyone have any experience with detailing chemicals (specifically APCs) staining an asphalt driveway?

Do these driveways have a "cure" time? I know silicone tire shines stain.

It doesn`t matter, but driveway looks like this:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160328/18c1bdeaf1ebb19726b802fc07c13213.jpg

I usually use Grime Reaper or LA Totally Awesome for wheel wells. But, I have Megs D103 and super degreaser on hand - I`m thinking they might be "safer"???

GearHead_1
03-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Many tire products will leave their mark on concrete and blacktop.

PA DETAILER
03-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Beautiful new home and driveway! For sure silicone tire shine products will leave their marks! Water based are ok. I have used megs degreaser and wheel/tire cleaner with no bad results on the driveway. Same with DP engine degreaser.

briarpatch
03-28-2016, 12:03 PM
Have gotten the `smiles` on my asphalt from sprayed-on tire dressings. Solved that issue with 4 large sheets of cardboard....just slide them under the back edge of the tire and back the vehicle up....no more `smiles`

Pats300zx
03-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Have gotten the `smiles` on my asphalt from sprayed-on tire dressings. Solved that issue with 4 large sheets of cardboard....just slide them under the back edge of the tire and back the vehicle up....no more `smiles`

Great idea !!!!

Swanicyouth
03-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Thanks all. So the consensus is APCs should be OK.

gtpaul
04-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Not sure if chemical composition of Asphalt is different in the States then it is in Canada but I have issues with degreasers and some APCs turning the driveway brown. Once its rinsed you can clearly see where it has run off and down the driveway. I know Asphalts are oil/tar based so it is obvious that the degreaser will have some sort of effect on a new driveway that is drying and emitting chemicals.

Best advice is to spray some in a tiny area and rub it with your finger to see if it`s pulling any colour. I ruined my new driveway`s `new` black look by washing my truck in the garage and the water ran down the driveway to the street. Once it dried it was brown where the water ran. :-(

Jaddie
04-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Steve, I have an asphalt driveway and I haven`t seen any chemical hurt it. I`ve used Meg`s 101, Meg`s other APC, Sonax wheel cleaner, Meg`s degreaser, Tuf Shine tire cleaner (pulls dirt out of driveway), and it`s had its share of gasoline spills, oil spills, and lots of pressure washing.

One thing I didn`t know about our asphalt driveway is that it should have been sealed every two years. We`ve never sealed it and there are parts of it that need replacing, but not the part where the chemicals hit.