PDA

View Full Version : Why isnt there a spray

JBM
03-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Why isnt there a spray for polishing pads made of some magic that keeps polishes from dusting? Made from glycerin or jello, or even cotton candy, whatever it takes, but it must be fairly simple to create?

Poorboy
03-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Why isnt there a spray for polishing pads made of some magic that keeps polishes from dusting? Made from glycerin or jello, or even cotton candy, whatever it takes, but it must be fairly simple to create?

Good polishes shouldn`t dust or need the spray for the pads ;)

Lonnie
03-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Dust is produced when the polish dries out. This happenes when the liquidity agent (usually water) evaporates from too high a temperature because 1) there is too much speed of the pad, producing excessive heat; 2) too much pressure of the pad on the surface being polished, again producing heat; or 3) a combination of both.
I have an early version of Megs M105. It dusts like crazy, even using an older PC DA and small 3" pads. I HATE it! It will micro-marr (very faint-and-fine swirls visible in bright sunlight) after wiping the painted surface with a microfiber towel to remove the residue. The formula was changed in subsequent production runs to mitigate this "problem". One work-around was to mist the pad with cold water during the polishing process in attempt add more water to keep the polish from drying out.

That said, it`s obvious that there are four factors in reducing the duct produced during compounding/polishing:
1) Using the right compound or polish (and there are a plethora of excellent choices that can be reviewed from experts within this forum);
2) Using the correct pad for the task at hand;
3) Using the correct operating speed for the type of machine being used;
4) Applying the correct pressure on the paint surface with machine and pad in use.

The last three are can only be done by hands-on experience. I can guarantee that there are detailers who can use early-production M105 that I have and NOT get it to dust, just because of the techniques or or tricks that they employ in working with it. I am also sure that many of them have moved on to "newer-and-better" compounds that do not have this dusting characteristic. HD has some new shop-oriented AAT compound and polish. CarPro has Reflect and Essence. Menzerna has upgraded their compounds and polish lines. Sonus is another manufacturer to consider. And Griot`s Garage new BOSS line of polishes and compounds has gotten excellent reviews in tandem with their new long-throw polishing machines.

dcjredline
03-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Why arent you making one then? If is sounds simple and would be a good money maker why not you!!! Go for it man

Poorboy
03-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Why aren`t you making one then? If is sounds simple and would be a good money maker why not you!!! Go for it man

if you mean me, we have had one since the beginning of Poorboy`s World called Professional Polish a heavy duty version called Pro Polish 2 ... Professional Polish is completely pad dependent and can be used from rotary and wool to remove 1200 sanding marks to a finishing pad and a random orbital to be a paint cleanser and gloss enhancing polish (also can be used by hand) all in the sun or shade.

If this was not for me the above post does have some validity by experience and better chemicals available today .. :)

JBM
03-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the responses, I made this post in jest but im working outside and with a slight breeze, compound is dusting. Figured hey, there must be a spray that could help this out.

The Guz
03-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Keep a spray bottle of water next to you as you work to keep the product wet.

Stokdgs
03-10-2016, 03:03 PM
NO compound/product, etc., will ever dust if you keep it just moist enough to work through its process from the initial cut to breaking down and finishing the work..

I use a Makita 9227C all day and never get dusting, because I don`t allow it to happen...

Perhaps pay better attention to what the surface looks like while you are working on it and when it starts to change color and looks drier, then you spray it with something to get it back..

In the olden days of acrylic lacquers and enamels, it was just going to be a dusty compounding, and then if you really wanted it dusty again, you used cornstarch as the last step to clear up the paint more...

And I always said to myself, I hate all this dust !!! :) Now I have to get the airchuck and blow it all off, it then gets all over the floor, and then get it all out of all the jambs, again, and again...

You need great lighting, so you can see what is happening, you have to absolutely watch the work and not get distracted, and you need to mind how you started off that part of the panel -

Did you prime the pad?
Did you moisten the pad with something like C/G Pad Conditioner?
What speed are you using, and how much pressure are you using ?

Im of the opinion that you create your own dusting - if you want it - and you can also not create dusting - if you want it...
Dan F

JBM
03-10-2016, 04:29 PM
A long time ago, maybe in 05-06, people were talking about getting products not to dust by spraying water or QD on them. It may have been on MOL, I am almost certain MF said not to spray water to prime pads or to fight the dust because it dilutes the product and can cause micromarring. This may have been in regards to DACP which was hit or miss with a lot of people. People would spray the panel cause it was gumming on the paint ect.

Anyways, I remember someone saying not to use a spray to fight the dust. So since thats when I was new I never used a spray.