PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Corolla LE Makeover.... by novice

Pages : [1] 2

BlkToy14
03-05-2016, 03:24 PM
I`ve never used a DA polisher before. Never used any compound polish either.
Got a good deal on this car. Toyota Certified. This was a lease car. I don`t think one bit of any kind of wax was ever applied. Plenty of car washes though.
Just doing my best to keep it up.

I had nothing to begin with. Spent easily $700 on everything to do the detail.
Won`t be getting it done quickly. I only have one day a week off work.
I understand that detailers find examples like this on the interesting side.
I`m just posting the `Before` pictures for now.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30008&stc=1 http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30009&stc=1 http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30010&stc=1 http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30011&stc=1

Poorboy
03-05-2016, 04:57 PM
good luck with your new ride ..

briarpatch
03-05-2016, 06:00 PM
Best of luck...whats your game plan?

BlkToy14
03-05-2016, 06:38 PM
What I have to work with:
Griot`s Garage Da.
Orange and light blue pads.
Menzerna`s; 1000 and 3500. Also menzerna`s sealer/polish.
Meguiar`s; Ultimate Paste Wax, X-press wax, degreaser, and cleaner... last three gallon size.
A bunch of various microfiber towels, and brushes.
Rinse Free Wash.
A few other regularly used things. Like sticker remover. Tape.

This weekend. I`m claying. Touching up paint. Go over interior.

Next weekend: Do a test spot first. Try to get results with the least. If I have to go with the 1000.
I`ll do the 1000 compound.
The 3500 compound.
Hopefully, get the sealer/polish down.

Following weekend.
Apply the Ultimate Paste Wax.
Finish up things like the wheels.
Hopefully will have plates by then. Remove the tape residue inside windows from temp license.

I have a monthly membership at a touchless car was. Want that especially for the undercarriage wash. Especially during winter. Hoping to use the X-press wax frequently after wash.
At times, drive the car home from the car wash. Do it over with the rinseless wash. Then...?

I am hoping the wax in the Ultimate Wax will be enough to bring out some depth. Especially over a dedicated sealer/polish. I`m not looking for a show car. Just look it`s best. Keep it well protected and clean.

I actually like the wheels and hubcaps better than alloy wheels. Call me rebellious? It`s a no BS look to me. They look good. But.. It`s much more hassle than alloy wheels. Will be pulling those hub caps off a bunch and cleaning the wheel underneath alot.

I actually have come to like this Black better than other colors on this car. The grill doesn`t stick out. It blends in with the rest of the car. I like that. Unpretentious look.

jimmie jam
03-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Well then, keep us posted!

Stokdgs
03-13-2016, 01:59 PM
BlkToy14 -

Pretty car ! Like that shape and color..
Yeah, its swirled up from car washing and such, but all that can be removed and leave you a nice level, clear, finish that will really pop the black color..

Just take your time, always work on a clean surface, claybar or rubberized towel the car, make sure its smooth everywhere, and then use your machine and compound with the appropriate pads.. You will need a few of each to be able to finish and a good pad cleaner to clean them out after that correcting session so they can dry and be ready for the next one..

You have some pretty good products and a machine all lined up... Now, you just have to go try it out!

As you get closer and have more questions or whenever, just ask us - we are ready to help..

Have fun with this ! :)
Dan F

BlkToy14
03-13-2016, 02:28 PM
I got shut out this weekend. Wind is 20mph. Always includes gusts. I`m stuck working outside. At least I do have a place with power. I`m having to wait.
I did get the claying done last weekend. Did a few other little detail things that were needed.
This year, SD changed license plates. They are really nice looking. Blue, silver, white, and a real light beige. I got license plate frames. The edges of the plates are white. Don`t look good. The front holder on the car won`t take a license plate frame. So I got some sand paper, and black paint. Just gonna paint that outside edge black. The plate looks far better on a black car without that white edge. Am working on this today.

Here`s a dumb question for ya. Actually I`m sure I know, just wanna make sure. The front and back of the car are both one big piece of plastic. It has the same paint as the rest of the car, which is metal. When buffing. I really don`t treat those plastic pieces any different. Right?

I would like to ask about the pad cleaners? I have a few pads. Figured I would just get to where one is saturated. Then use the next. When I`m done. Clean the pads as well as I can. Use a brush on them? Then throw them in a washing machine. Isn`t a pad cleaner for while I`m working the pad? To use it a bit longer?

I do have to admit. My attitude on this has changed considerably since I bought it, and knew I`d have to buff it. I was in a hurry up and get it done mentality. Waiting on stuff to come in. Owning it a month. I have changed more to...What the heck...I don`t have to do anything... I want to do it...want to have fun doing it...if it takes a while....so what?.... I want to enjoy my time with the car. It`s actually a really nice car and gets great mileage. It has surprised me. Rides beautiful.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Thank you all for the welcomes. I`ll be sure to keep posting on how it`s coming along.
I am considering getting rid of the touchless car wash. Just do it in at a car wash. I can control the spray. Even though I know it didn`t have any decent finish..the touchless knocked touch up paint off the hood. I redid it. Thinking I might just be better off spraying in a car wash myself. Maybe use the touchless during winter when it snows only?

Ron

kevincwelch
03-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Looks like a nice challenge! Subscribed.

Stokdgs
03-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Ron,

Yes, the front end and back end of your car, (and actually almost all cars today) are plastic and they are painted with the same paint as the rest of the car..
There may not be as much paint on the plastic parts as the metal parts, but I dont have a thickness gauge expensive enough to tell me that is true, but from what I have seen and learned from decades, I think there is less paint on those parts, unless it is repainted by a body shop after the fact..

So with those parts being plastic, you need to know and remember that they will Not conduct heat worth a darn compared to the metal parts of the vehicle, so you have to watch how long you stay on one spot and get it too hot, because, as already said, the heat wont conduct/transfer from that spot to the rest of the panel as in the way metal does, ok ?

The plastic parts will correct to whatever level you want them too, and will take a good wax or sealant, or coating just fine and look as beautiful as the rest of the paintwork...

There are specific pad cleaners available here at the Store on this website, and the one that I have used for over 10 years is Snappy Clean - Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder 3 Pack (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/snappy-clean-powder.html#.VuXhBPkrK00) - Link

This product works great for cleaning the pads and getting all the gunk out of them easily while not hurting the foam or the backing.. These come 3 to a pack, I only use half a pack at a time in say 3 gallons of water, so that would be 6 times you can wash your pads if you want to experiment with my method..
Just be sure to wear some nitrile, etc., gloves when doing this because Snappy Clean will remove all the oils out of your skin and could leave it really dry..

While Using the pads, I like to keep a nice clean white detailing cotton towel handy, and just wipe off all the product on the pad, about every pass so that the pad is free of spent compound and gunk from the paint pores, before I go over that spot again, or go to a new spot on the panel...
You can also use a plastic brush to help clean them off but be careful that you don`t tear the pad up doing that..

I like to use a dedicated Pad Conditioner on my pads so they dont dry up and wear faster, and it also has the benefit of helping the compound/product work longer and more completely..
The one here at this store is this --- BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Conditioner (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/blackfire-advanced-pad-conditioner.html#.VuXo7PkrK00)
I have never used this one, but I am sure it is great..

The one I use and have used for years is Chemical Guys Pad Conditioner.. It also works great and I see no need to change it.

Link to retail site removed

You know, I actually Love the challenge, Love the work, and most of all Love seeing a vehicle come from dirty everything to perfectly clean everything, and then lastly, seeing that beautiful car in that beautiful color drive away reflecting the sun so perfectly, the Interior, the engine, the trunk all spotless, no dirt to be found, all conditioned and clean...

And having the mindset and attitude you have come to have, Ron, I say you are going to have an absolute great time, learning, experimenting, and in stages, increasing your knowledge and making that beautiful car even more beautiful..

Great job !
You got this !!
Dan F

mjlinane
03-13-2016, 07:06 PM
We all started that way. Just remember: slow arm speed. No, slower.

Ronkh
03-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Nice ride, enjoy it and be safe.

As far as detailing is concerned.......... Welcome to the addiction.

BlkToy14
03-13-2016, 10:15 PM
I confess.... I couldn`t sit here today.... wind died down this afternoon. So I went out to the car.
Since I washed it at the car wash this morning.
I did a rinseless wash. I am impressed at how well that works.
Then sprayed on X-press wax. I know that isn`t much. It`s just for maintaining. I felt like getting at least something on the paint.
Put the Xwax on the dash and steering wheel. Like how it feels. Works good.
Then it got dark. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice. Am looking into those.

BlkToy14
03-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Just a little update. Haven`t lost heart on this. Weather not cooperating. Having to keep putting off the buffing.
I do admit. Even just the X-press wax applied twice. The glitter in the clear coat is showing more. Am impressed. Got me thinking how much the polishing is gonna do. A bunch.

pwaug
03-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the forum!!! You haven`t even started yet and you`re hooked. Keep in mind the Megs Ultimate Wax is not a wax at all--it it a pure sealant that last for a good 4-6 months depending on conditions. Also, the paste version (unlike the liquid version) can stain trim and rubber so make sure you clean it off right away if you get any on these parts.

Good luck!!

LEDetailng
03-27-2016, 06:39 PM
Sounds like you`re "all in" as far as detailing. I think your mentality of taking your time is the correct mentality.

I am a Toyota fan and have alway thought the Corolla is one of the best values in transportation. And finally it has some style.

You will be happy that you saved that tunnel wash mess of a clear coat. I`m guessing if it`s just wash damage you might get close to 95% or higher of those scratches out. Make sure to do a 50/50 shot of that left rear door.
I thought the paint was a dark gray/graphite due to the effect of the crazy bad refraction of light.

best of luck