PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba Question

dschribs
03-04-2016, 12:06 PM
Last Summer I used a carnauba wax on my red Trans Am. Clearkote Carauba Moose wax. This product was really popular on here awhile back (Scotwax was a big proponent of it) and I`m sort of an old school guy that just loved the buttery wet look of carnauba. I STILL love thier quick detailer and wouldn`t use anything else.

Anyway, problem was - when I was done - I saw lot of oily swirls all over the car. You could actually see the buffer swirls where the wax was put on. Almost looked like a bad dealership buff job. This all came off with a wash so I know it was residue from the wax and not any imperfections in the paint. I polished the car with HD polish before waxing.

What could have caused this? Applying too much wax? Didn`t let it dry long enough? I used a LC black pad w a low speed on my Groits DA.

Just as an fyi - this wax is VERY oily. You can see the oil at the top of the bottle if it sits for any length of time.

I love the look of this wax on my red car just don`t want to go through the trouble of using again only to have to wash the car right after waxing it!!!

Thanks
Dan

Ronkh
03-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Stick it in sun for an hour or two. Might just be marks in the wax from buff off.

If not, get some white diamond under it.

Accumulator
03-04-2016, 02:35 PM
dschribs- Some sorta-random thoughts follow:
- I don`t like the LC Black pad for machine waxing, maybe that contributed to the issue. FWIW, I simply *love* the Griot`s Red Waxing pad, and others here swear by the LC Gold waxing pad
- IMO most people use *WAY* too much wax and I`d bet that contributed to the issue
- I like to "work" the LSP for a while when I apply, seems to help get a *thin* and even application
- Fogging the surface with my breath while buffing it off seems to be beneficial, I do this with most all of my LSPs
- Even with waxes that are wipe-on-wipe-off like Souveran, I like to let them set up for a while before buffing, but that calls for a *thin* and uniform application or issues like yours will usually be worse

heisenberg
03-04-2016, 02:45 PM
dschribs- Some sorta-random thoughts follow:
- I don`t like the LC Black pad for machine waxing, maybe that contributed to the issue. FWIW, I simply *love* the Griot`s Red Waxing pad, and others here swear by the LC Gold waxing pad
- IMO most people use *WAY* too much wax and I`d bet that contributed to the issue
- I like to "work" the LSP for a while when I apply, seems to help get a *thin* and even application
- Fogging the surface with my breath while buffing it off seems to be beneficial, I do this with most all of my LSPs
- Even with waxes that are wipe-on-wipe-off like Souveran, I like to let them set up for a while before buffing, but that calls for a *thin* and uniform application or issues like yours will usually be worse

Count me in on not liking application of LSP with black pads. Another vote for Griot`s Red Waxing Pads too - I have the smaller ones with Griot`s pad holder and I truly enjoy applying LSP products using that combination. It takes longer but it`s relaxing.

JustJesus
03-04-2016, 04:11 PM
Yes... I, too, like using the GG red pads. I use the 3" version with their Palm Grip Pad Holder. I *still* haven`t stepped up to machine waxing. But will...someday

briarpatch
03-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Tack on another vote for the GG red waxing pad......use the 5.5" version....love them

JBM
03-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Oh wow , I remember using red moose glaze for about a year way back when. Good times.

ca.detailchick
03-05-2016, 12:53 AM
Try spritzing with distilled water and buff by hand.

psynx
03-05-2016, 03:54 PM
sounds like you might of applied it too heavy. some QD or distilled water and a plush MF towel should do the trick