PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled washing recommendations for non-daily driver Black car??

Pages : [1] 2

Prana
03-03-2016, 10:26 PM
I`m a newbie when it comes to the world of detailing and am looking for some advice on keeping a black car exterior clean throughout the year. First off, it`s a non-daily driver that I use on the weekends only for running errands. When not in use, it stays parked on the street since I live in an large urban city with tight parking. I live in the mid-Atlantic so we get the occasional foot of snow and hot humid summers.

One thing I must mention is that my cleaning regime has to be a rinseless wash (I`m almost sold on the optimum no rinse wash and shine). I`ve already figured out that I should be buying that product along with some MF towels. Not sure what towels would work for drying though (should I get a waffle weave MF for drying only or does it matter?). I can drive to a self-serve car wash to rinse any accumulated dirt beforehand but would rather not since it`s about a 30 minute drive.

So my questions are:

1. how often to plan on washing the car (rinseless wash) considering I don`t drive it M-F?
2. how often should I clay and wax the car?.

Also, I`m considering getting a paint correction done on the car but not sure if it would be worth the money. From 10-20 feet away it looks nice. It`s not until you stand closer and got the sun shining on it do the swirls and occasional scratch become visible. I just bought it used and it would be nice to restore it to like new condition even though I feel it likes decent already. I`m wondering if most of the one-step paint correction on black cars have obvious paint defects that are noticeable even from far away?? Should I just keep it maintained on a regular basis and call it good or do you think getting a paint correction would be a good starting point as a new owner for the car?

ViperGuy21
03-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Firstly, welcome to the forum!
As for how often to wash your car, it really depends on how dirty it gets. I only have a DD and wash it every week if I can(sometimes it`s 2 or 3 weeks depending on how busy I am). I enjoy washing my car so I never think of it as a chore personally, so if you aren`t a big fan of detailing/washing your car then you may end up washing less frequently, which is fine as long as you have a good LSP(last step product)on the car to protect it like a wax, sealant, or coating. As for RW, I`ve never actually done one, but I`ve heard great things about the new Wolfgang Uber rinseless, but ONR seems to be a staple in the world of detailing so I`m sure either will be great. Only thing is I`ve heard that ONR stains wash media...maybe someone else can confirm or debunk this?
I would recommend claying twice a year. How often you wax or seal your car depends on the product you choose and its durability. If you use a beauty wax then you may need to wax every couple of weeks. But if you use something like Collinite 845 or another sealant you may only end up applying it every 6 months or so. It really depends on the LSP itself and how it`s cared for and what conditions it is exposed to.
When it comes to the paint correction, that is all up to you based on how much you are willing to spend to make it look great. A full paint correction will be awesome, but finding someone who`s reputable and good at what they do who can do a one-step can give very impressive results. If you choose to not do any correction, you could always use a glaze to fill in some of the light to moderate imperfections and reduce the appearance of the damage in the paint.
Hope that helps!

rlmccarty2000
03-03-2016, 11:41 PM
Welcome! Really can`t say how often to wash your car, it really depends on how clean you like to keep it. I would go ahead and have the car professionally corrected and coated, this will help your car stay cleaner than using a traditional wax. The Optimum No Rinse product is a good one to start with. Watch some videos on using no rinse products and check out the information provided on this forum. I think you will find the folks here very willing to pass along good information. Most of all enjoy the process!

Prana
03-03-2016, 11:53 PM
thanks for the advice Viper, rlmc

any advice on how to find a reputable detailer? I`ve checked the regional subs on this forum for detailers in my area but there doesn`t seem to be much activity. I`d rather go with a one-man shop to try to get the best deal rather than a place with a high overhead.

ViperGuy21
03-04-2016, 09:24 AM
What you may try is to make a thread:
"Looking for detailer in (insert location here) area"
And put a little description of what you are trying to get done in the thread and see if anyone on here knows of anyone that can help

Poorboy
03-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Welcome to Autopia ... I would suggest Spray and Wipe instead of a rinseless wash ... no hose, no buckets and you can do it where ever you are parked and as often as you want or need.

You will need a good collection of microfiber to use and if you get heavy grime you can always go down to the self serve and give it a good rinsing first.

Black is a tough color to just leave alone ... I would suggest a one step like Polish w/ Carnauba blue which you again can do where it sits, sun or shade, and will clean the vehicle well and again this can be done as often as needed, or every 3-6 months depending on how you do wash .. I`d throw a coat of Black Hole and top it with EX and you now have a 5-10 foot car without a full correction.

If the car is doomed to sit in the street a full correction might be a very short lived expense. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions :)

512detail
03-04-2016, 11:53 AM
welcome!

plus one on the Spray and Wipe and Anything Poorboys for that matter (black hole WILL be your friend if you don`t get coated)... for rinselss you might consider a wash/wax type product to maximize the effect of the RW (I really like Pinnacle`s Liquid Gold Rinseless Wash for that)

black hole, exp, and then later maybe some nattys black (once its out)--that would be killer!

dcjredline
03-04-2016, 11:58 AM
The very simple answer to your questions is....when ever it needs it. You shouldnt have to schedule either a clay or washes. When its too dirty for you then wash it. When you feel above surface contaminants, clay it.

512detail
03-04-2016, 12:07 PM
The very simple answer to your questions is....when ever it needs it. You shouldnt have to schedule either a clay or washes. When its too dirty for you then wash it. When you feel above surface contaminants, clay it.

agreed....also might want to consider buying a synthetic clay sponge/mitt (will save you a lot of hassle and time)

Ronkh
03-04-2016, 01:30 PM

That makes toooooo much sense. There has to be another way.

Accumulator
03-04-2016, 02:42 PM
prana- Welcome to Autopia!

Two things come to mind...but they`re kinda flip-sides to the argument!
1) the more often you wash, the more gentle you can be since the car`s not so dirty and the dirt/etc. usually won`t become as bonded to the paint
2) the more often you wash, the more often you`re touching the paint and every time you touch it you risk marring

IF (and it`s one of the huge "if"s in detailing!) you can wash without marring, then I`d do it fairly often. But !oh, man! is that a challenge!

Either way, keeping a healthy coat of LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., wax/sealant) on it will help keep the dirt from adhering and will make the washing easier and less likely to result in marring. So wax more often than you think you need to, even if (!Autopian Heresy!) you don`t clay before each waxing.

Migue
03-04-2016, 04:42 PM
You could wash often and use the RW kind of the same way that one would use a foam gun for extra safety/lubricity: RW solution-soaked MF towel on one hand touching the pre-soaked panel, and a pump sprayer full of RW solution on the other hand spraying ahead of the trajectory of your towel as you wipe.

Might be overkill, but worth a shot and see if it helps.

Prana
03-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Welcome to Autopia ... I would suggest Spray and Wipe instead of a rinseless wash ... no hose, no buckets and you can do it where ever you are parked and as often as you want or need.

You will need a good collection of microfiber to use and if you get heavy grime you can always go down to the self serve and give it a good rinsing first.

Black is a tough color to just leave alone ... I would suggest a one step like Polish w/ Carnauba blue which you again can do where it sits, sun or shade, and will clean the vehicle well and again this can be done as often as needed, or every 3-6 months depending on how you do wash .. I`d throw a coat of Black Hole and top it with EX and you now have a 5-10 foot car without a full correction.

If the car is doomed to sit in the street a full correction might be a very short lived expense. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions :)

Do you think a one-step polish (or maybe a glaze that Viper mentioned above) can take car of this scratch (imgur dot com/Zanca2r) and swirls (imgur dot com/LUbcRdX) I can`t feel it when I put my hand on it but it`s visible without that much sun on it.

Also, I`m hesitant about spending the money on a full correction if as you say that parking it on the street full time is just going to bring the imperfections back. Just curious, why is this? It`s a residential road so it does get cars going though it regularly but nothing at high speed. Also, I have no idea if the paint is soft but it`s a toyota prius if that makes any difference.

I`ll check into the Spray and Wipe method. I was actually planning on doing a modified version of the rinseless wash where you just use one bucket and a bunch of MF towels presoaked in it. Instead of cleaning a used towel, you just grab a fresh one from the bucket.

Poorboy
03-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Do you think a one-step polish (or maybe a glaze that Viper mentioned above) can take car of this scratch (Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet (http://imgur.com/Zanca2r)) and swirls (Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet (http://imgur.com/LUbcRdX)) I can`t feel it when I put my hand on it but it`s visible without that much sun on it.

Also, I`m hesitant about spending the money on a full correction if as you say that parking it on the street full time is just going to bring the imperfections back. Just curious, why is this? It`s a residential road so it does get cars going though it regularly but nothing at high speed. Also, I have no idea if the paint is soft but it`s a toyota prius if that makes any difference.

I`ll check into the Spray and Wipe method. I was actually planning on doing a modified version of the rinseless wash where you just use one bucket and a bunch of MF towels presoaked in it. Instead of cleaning a used towel, you just grab a fresh one from the bucket.

One step products usually clean the paint more than repairing .. Black Hole Glaze has about the best hiding ability that there is ... Sealing it in with a wax or sealant is the way to go especially if you are not driving it much ... Basically as it it sits out at the curb and gathers dust, dirt and gets rained upon and there is wind , the abrasion process is always at work unless you put the car in a bubble. When you wash it, bucket, no bucket ,,,, it`s all abrasion .. no way out of it .. that`s why most of us here are OCD and work so hard to keep our vehicles in the best condition possible.
If you told me it sat in a climate controlled garage it would be a different story. Spray and Wipe was designed initially for show cars, garage queens , and people who live where water is not an option such as apartments, city living , and water shortages. You can do a panel or a whole car of that size in 15-20 minutes and walk away with no clean up other than towels.

here`s Mike Phillips at work ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYqhL6DrAPo

Prana
03-04-2016, 06:07 PM
thanks, checked out the video and looks like it would do the job.

thanks for the comments all. As 512detail pointed out, I was looking into nanoskin as an alternative to claying. Seems like it would be a lot faster than using clay.

Either way, I`d be doing all this by hand since I don`t have a polisher and don`t have a garage space to work with one if I did.