PDA

View Full Version : CR Spotless - First use

Pages : [1] 2

AuAltima3.5
02-29-2016, 10:26 PM
I got a cr spotless water deionizer before Christmas. It was a deal on eBay, a dual 10" unit. I purchased new crspotless resin and refilled. I used it for the first time yesterday. Amazing. It was warm enough in TN to actually make paint surfaces feel hot, so the christening of my new to me system began.

This has changed my washing forever. I used to despise washing for two reasons: 1) I could never dry fast enough and 2) I didn`t like the that drying was a "useless" need: possibly making more marring while required to prevent etching.

After buying a black car with very soft paint, I knew I had to change my drying method. In comes the crspotless. I washed and then rinsed with my electric 1.5gpm pressure washer.

I realize how I don`t wash everything like I thought I did. I`ve left a few places unwashed, but I would "clean" those places in traditional drying. This becomes obvious when you don`t have to physically dry the car.

It`s was a big investment, but all said and done, even a new system is 250. I spent 40 bucks last year in drying towels. After getting over the sticker shock you won`t be too disappointed. If I can get ten rinses from this I would be happy, and hope much more will come out of this thing. I used to spend way too much time trying to get water off paint. Now I can spend the time drying (and later laundering towels) to do more productive things.

Buy a ball valve and quick disconnects for your hoses, and swapping around will be easy.

Accumulator
03-01-2016, 12:29 PM
AuAltima3.5- Glad you like the CRS so much! Keep an eye peeled for sale prices/coupon codes for the resin, sometimes you can save a bundle.

IMO how well the CRS works for somebody will have a lot to do with the vehicle. Some of mine retain a *LOT* of water, and using the deionized water to flush out all the "regular" water is a huge chore in itself, and one some of my vehicles the whole "no drying needed!" approach simply doesn`t work out.

BUT overall, yeah- the CRS/pressure washer combo can really have it`s place. Sounds like it`s perfect for you, and given how some of the water is down in TN (Accululatorette is from Memphis), I bet it`ll be a good investment.

512detail
03-01-2016, 12:32 PM
glad to hear you are liking that unit..i wish I could pull the trigger on that purchase

FWIW I read someone else in the past ran their CR kit through a dedicated RO system and saved lots of resin use.

Accumulator
03-01-2016, 02:26 PM
..FWIW I read someone else in the past ran their CR kit through a dedicated RO system and saved lots of resin use.

That combo of RO and DI systems sounds like overkill to me, but I guess it depends on what the (untreated) water is like. By the time it gets through the RO I wonder what`s left for the CRS to deal with (when I rinse glassware with RO water it usually comes out spot-free). I do filter/soften mine upstream of the CRS (and my RO drinking water units too), and I suspect that makes a little difference.

512detail
03-01-2016, 02:32 PM
That combo of RO and DI systems sounds like overkill to me, but I guess it depends on what the (untreated) water is like. By the time it gets through the RO I wonder what`s left for the CRS to deal with (when I rinse glassware with RO water it usually comes out spot-free). I do filter/soften mine upstream of the CRS (and my RO drinking water units too), and I suspect that makes a little difference.
I have no idea about any of that stuff, but I recall the thread on here..I`ll see if I can find it when I get a chance...I remember the person said it helped them.
But of course all water is not the same...I know I take my own tap water to some places in buckets already bc their water is much harder than mine (which runs through a small water softener)

RaskyR1
03-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Best place I`ve found for resin. 1 cubic foot of resin will fill the large CRS 3 times.
Windows101 LLC (http://windows101.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=74_176&products_id=1465)

AuAltima3.5
03-03-2016, 02:46 PM
AuAltima3.5- Glad you like the CRS so much! Keep an eye peeled for sale prices/coupon codes for the resin, sometimes you can save a bundle.

IMO how well the CRS works for somebody will have a lot to do with the vehicle. Some of mine retain a *LOT* of water, and using the deionized water to flush out all the "regular" water is a huge chore in itself, and one some of my vehicles the whole "no drying needed!" approach simply doesn`t work out.

BUT overall, yeah- the CRS/pressure washer combo can really have it`s place. Sounds like it`s perfect for you, and given how some of the water is down in TN (Accululatorette is from Memphis), I bet it`ll be a good investment.

I had no idea about the coupons. Even if I only get a few washes, I`m okay with $4-5/wash.

I`m seeing the retained water is diluted, which was a big reason I bought a cr. The door sills retaining water would spot horribly before.

I heard the TDS in my area is 200-300 ppm. I looked into ro but decided it wasn`t worth the added investment for my situation. I wash once a month.

NLove
03-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Best place I`ve found for resin. 1 cubic foot of resin will fill the large CRS 3 times.
Windows101 LLC (http://windows101.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=74_176&products_id=1465)

Shakopee has super hard water. I am a little north of you in Plymouth and my water is 24gpg\411 ppm. Do you wash your whole car using cr spotless or just use it for your final rinse? I only wash my car early in the morning or in the evening, this really limits me to when I can wash my car. I feel like if I used it to wash my whole car I would be buying a lot of resin.

RaskyR1
03-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Shakopee has super hard water. I am a little north of you in Plymouth and my water is 24gpg\411 ppm. Do you wash your whole car using cr spotless or just use it for your final rinse? I only wash my car early in the morning or in the evening, this really limits me to when I can wash my car. I feel like if I used it to wash my whole car I would be buying a lot of resin.

That water at my place in Shakopee was in the 380 range last time I checked it. I actually live in Eden Prairie now and our water there was in the 185-220 range. If I have to wash in the sun I always use the CR for the whole wash. If I`m in the shade I`ll just use for the final rinse. A lot of the cars I see are brand new too and for those I can usually just do a rinse-less wash inside the garage. $160 for a cubic ft of resin, which fills my unit 3 times and will last me over a year. Not bad IMO. ;)

pmnewton
03-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Our water is 1600 ppm!! I have a 5 stage RO system with dual membranes just to pre treat my water BEFORE it goes into the CR unit. With two black cars in the garage it`s not really negotiable.

- Patrick

Dellinger
03-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Our water is 1600 ppm!! I have a 5 stage RO system with dual membranes just to pre treat my water BEFORE it goes into the CR unit. With two black cars in the garage it`s not really negotiable.

- Patrick

DO WHAT!?!?! 1600 ppm!?!?!? That is insane. I have 150 ppm and I thought I had water issues! I couldn`t imagine... that stuff would etch through 1" hot rolled steel plating.

pmnewton
03-03-2016, 07:56 PM
FWIW I read someone else in the past ran their CR kit through a dedicated RO system and saved lots of resin use.

I have no idea about any of that stuff, but I recall the thread on here..I`ll see if I can find it when I get a chance...I remember the person said it helped them.

That was me. The RO unit on the left feeds the CR Spotless and the 000ppm water is stored in the pressurized blue tank for use later. Total system cost was roughly $1,500 but the resin has been holding fast for 8 months now!

DO WHAT!?!?! 1600 ppm!?!?!? That is insane. I have 150 ppm and I thought I had water issues! I couldn`t imagine... that stuff would etch throw 1" hot rolled steel plating.

You aren`t kidding. Even our toilet water has to be softened first. It`s ridiculous!! This is the system I have to maintain just to wash the cars...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5766/21288678053_ae39e714ae_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/yrd3ik)IMG_0945 (https://flic.kr/p/yrd3ik)

Dellinger
03-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Unbelievable. Wow!

RaskyR1
03-04-2016, 10:08 AM

- Patrick

That`s crazy! you could probably run it through a pasta strainer and get a lower PPM! :D

Accumulator
03-04-2016, 12:32 PM
pmnewton- Thanks for explaining why your setup isn`t overkill after all!

I`m assuming you do run the water for the RO->DI system through your softener first, right? We filter and soften *all* our household/shop water other than two outdoor spigots.