PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if my prices are to high.

Pages : [1] 2

MaestroDetailer
02-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Hello guys,
Was wondering if I was charging to much for my services. I called many shops around my area and they were charging both full interior and exterior, which includes polishing for $150. I called to get estimates from different shops and most shops were charging within that range? It takes me about 6 hours to do a interior and around 10+ hours to to a exterior for paint correction and I am charging between $400+ or more depending on the severity of the paint. If I charge $150 to do both interior and full paint correction, I don`t think its worth it. Also, most of the detailers that I called said he does not compound but only polish because compounding can be too abrasive. How do these detailers remove paint defects without compounding? I am kind of lost here and should I drop my price down as well? I charge $400+ for full paint correction which includes wet sanding, compound, polish, sealant, and wax. Is that to much? Please give me feedback and take a look at this link if the prices seem good? Please give me your honest insights and opinions!
Services :: Maestro Detailer (http://www.maestrodetailers.com/services/)
Thanks guys,
Sam

JBM
02-26-2016, 06:28 PM
They dont detail for perfection, but use something like speed and hit the interior and tires, kick it out the door.

I would think you should have different levels of correction work, plus up sells for coatings. Headlights are another up sell ect.

512detail
02-26-2016, 06:30 PM
not sure man..I definitely charge NOT Enough but this is a hobby for me at this point.

If you feel you do a $400 worth job, then don`t change your prices...have you seen those shop`s work? how do you feel yours compares?

not everyone will want the full paint correction deal..perhaps you should consider a package with an AIO (all in one) polish/sealant or something and bring the price down to compete with those other people? just a thought

Stokdgs
02-26-2016, 06:52 PM
+1 with the above --

Those other shops are NOT even coming close to correcting anything on the outside unless it came in already near perfect for $150...

No one but those guys at the car wash with the pop up tent in the corner of the parking lot charge like that and they have 4 guys knock it out while you wait..
But it`s not a Detail as you and we know it...

Perhaps you need to find a real Detail Shop and check out their pricing? It has to be more in your range or beyond, for the type of vehicle and amount of work agreed upon...

I never offer to wetsand anything - it`s just too time consuming and regular cars really dont need it... Hope you have a paint thickness meter and lots of experience.. No one but really high end or custom car people will ever want that and then after all that work, they still manage to scratch it up, right ? :)

If it was my vehicle, I would rather put up with a little orange peel rather than take all that paint off in 1 shot...

You need to charge according to you experience level measured in years, how good you really are, and what the market in that area will bear...

How many years have you been Detailing full time ?
Good Luck !
Dan F

nothingface5384
02-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Prices are always dependant on area, but with that said I think 125 is too low...that`s like a wash and wax for majority of people

I`m trying to start off and for an AIO polish..focusing just on clarity/light oxidation ..no swirl correction I plan to charge 2-250..
And start actual paint correction at 350+

512detail
02-26-2016, 08:11 PM
If i told you what i charged that plum hellcat owner i think Ray might permaban me for giving away good work, lol

Pricing is so tough when you are not well known. You may do the best work but -How does the customer know?

I have personally struggled with pricing for 3 years now.

It`s tough.

512detail
02-26-2016, 08:13 PM
I recently raised my prices to where I feel they should be (albeit they`re still a hell of a deal IMHO) but I will tell someone straight up...if you want a $60 detail (or whatever) you`ve called the wrong guy.

JBM
02-26-2016, 08:30 PM
A good website will raise your prices.

RTexasF
02-26-2016, 08:34 PM
If you`re doing that kind of work then stick to your guns.

MaestroDetailer
02-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I really want to succeed in the future and thinking about purchasing a car wash, along with detail bays. I have built the website on my own and was wondering if you guys can critique it? Also, my pricing are listed on the service section so can you guys look at it and give me a real good insight on them. Thanks again!
Sam
Maestro Detailer (http://www.maestrodetailers.com/)

JSFM35X
02-26-2016, 10:17 PM
Your competition does not lower your price you do. Do your work at a price that you feel is fair to you and your clients. Justify it and remember nobody works for free for too long.

There are people all over the world going out of business at prices too low and they will never know it until it`s to late.

Migue
02-26-2016, 11:55 PM
I`d say your price seems fair. If you haven`t found a shop around your area that puts out the quality of work you do(according to what you`re charging) then I see that as good news since you can be one of the few targeting a higher end market that shops for quality before price and that can make you above average.

MiVor
02-27-2016, 12:08 AM
First let me say that I`m not a pro and have only done details on my rides, friends and family and not for pay. I think you price what the market will bear and what you feel is fair. If you have all the business you want, then your $400 deal is fine. On the other hand, a lot of people could not and would not be able to justify the expense. I can make a case that many vehicles would look really good with a wash, clay, polish and sealant without wet sanding and compounding. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and most folks with daily drivers aren`t looking for a concourse competitive finish.
As others have mentioned, you might well consider different packages relative to how involved the detail will be.

There is a local `detail` shop that offers a wash/wax and interior steam cleaning for around $75. Oh, it`s more like a glorified car wash and not a detail like you/we think of detailing, but they have multiple employee`s, always seem busy, and have stayed in business year round for many years now.

RTexasF
02-27-2016, 12:36 PM
From your website front page:

Whether you`re looking for a simple car wash or a full package detail that can last several days, we approach each detail with the same passion in order to achieve outstanding results.

To the consumer this looks like your best work will only last a few days. I assume that you meant "that can take several days" to accomplish.

ShaneB
02-27-2016, 04:43 PM
In the detailing world you can either be the cheapest or the best. Can`t be both. You need to be able to sell your potential customers on what real paint polishing means. I have a hell of a time with potential customers because another well established shop in my area will do a full detail including 2 step compound/polish on a black car for $160, where as I would charge somewhere in the area of $500-$600 for that. You`ll come to find that the cheaper shops are just going through the motions, not actually doing the work