PDA

View Full Version : White wax applicator pads...

Pages : [1] 2

Concourswanna b
02-24-2016, 03:11 PM
One Griot`s product I really would like to see offered again are the "White Wax Applicator Pads."
They were just high quality foam, good oval-like shape, and worked great for wax and sealants, and you could cut them apart into different shapes for rubber protectant applications, etc. I would also cut them apart for wheel cleaning. They lasted for years, and held up to any type of chemical you could throw at them.
I`m down to my last one now...

Not sure what this site is, but they still have an image -

https://www.google.com/search?q=griots+white+wax+pads&rlz=1T4WQIB_enUS592US630&biw=1113&bih=735&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw-LeilZHLAhXHk4MKHbWXDakQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=cWwl9VcnGgwY sM%3A

Accumulator
02-24-2016, 03:17 PM
I still have a few of those from back when they were labelled "Wax Removal Pads". They did work well for that until they got loaded up, saved my [bacon] one time when I had issues with my LSP reacting to the underlying product.

Concourswanna b
02-24-2016, 03:37 PM
I still have a few of those from back when they were labelled "Wax Removal Pads". They did work well for that until they got loaded up, saved my [bacon] one time when I had issues with my LSP reacting to the underlying product.

I wonder, are those the "bonnets" they still have listed?
Wax Removal Bonnets, Set of 3 - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/three+wax+removal+bonnets.do)

The Wax Applicators were actually a really dense white foam. I would tend to add a pack onto my Griot`s order every time I called `em.
My last one sits in a ziplock labeled "OS-APP."

Maybe the foam was too expensive to source or something, since it was such good quality.

Accumulator
02-24-2016, 05:27 PM
I wonder, are those the "bonnets" they still have listed?
Wax Removal Bonnets, Set of 3 - Griot`s Garage (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/three+wax+removal+bonnets.do)

Those appear to be regular MF bonnets similar to the ones I got from Meguiar`s.

The Wax Applicators were actually a really dense white foam. I would tend to add a pack onto my Griot`s order every time I called `em...

Right. We`re both talking about the same oblong dense white foam pads, just a different description (in the catalog and on the bag`s label) that refers to buffing the wax off instead of putting the wax on.

I suspect that the idea of removing wax with a foam pad struck customers as too weird so they changed it. See, it *IS* weird, huh?...you must`ve thought so, hence your assumption that I was talking about something else!

If I did the digital-imaging thing I`d post a pic (I still have one or two in that original "..removal.."-label package)...but I`m quite certain that we`re talking about the same item.

..Maybe the foam was too expensive to source or something, since it was such good quality.

Yes indeed, those *were* very good foam pads and I too wish they`d bring `em back (for whatever job we want `em for).

Concourswanna b
02-25-2016, 09:18 AM
Accumulator, yep, it looks like we are talking about the same item. They were so dense, I could see how they could be used for wax removal.

Sometimes I would cut `em into different shapes to wash certain wheels as well. They had a little more bite which would grab some of the contamination on wheel "barrels" (separate one used just for that).

That was one item where I could have paid a price increase, if needed.

Accumulator
02-25-2016, 11:35 AM
Accumulator, yep, it looks like we are talking about the same item...That was one item where I could have paid a price increase, if needed.

Same here, it`s like those "double-ended swabs" they used to sell- I`d pay through the nose for these products but they just don`t offer them any more.

Concourswanna b
02-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Same here, it`s like those "double-ended swabs" they used to sell- I`d pay through the nose for these products but they just don`t offer them any more.

Oh yeah, that`s right... those were nice! I went through my last ones about two years ago. I have actually been folding the other ones I use at right angles for certain interior/engine cleaning jobs. My Wife thinks it`s pretty weird when I get excited about a bag o` foam swabs showing up in the mail. She likes having a clean car though.

Accumulator
02-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Accumulatorette is so used to such stuff that it doesn`t even register as weird with her any more ;) And yeah, she too genuinely appreciates our vehicles being well-detailed, especially as she wants the A8 to be her last car ever (she simply *LOVES* it).

Concourswanna b
02-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Accumulatorette is so used to such stuff that it doesn`t even register as weird with her any more ;) And yeah, she too genuinely appreciates our vehicles being well-detailed, especially as she wants the A8 to be her last car ever (she simply *LOVES* it).

Nice. We are looking for a long-term car for my Wife, now that she works from home. No more crazy stone chips and new winshields, and no more two hours a day spent on commuting. Plan to look at a VW GLI this weekend. Should be a fun vehicle for our annual Keeneland trip.

Accumulator
02-26-2016, 12:31 PM
.. Plan to look at a VW GLI this weekend. Should be a fun vehicle for our annual Keeneland trip.

IMO those are simply *great* cars, let alone for the $.

Concourswanna b
02-27-2016, 09:58 PM
IMO those are simply *great* cars, let alone for the $.

Absolutely. Well... it was a nice sunny day for car shopping. Left at 5 this morning and headed to Peoria for a leftover new 2014 GLI with 100 miles on it. About $9K less than the original price on the window sticker. Had a great time driving it home, but I`m waiting for 1000 miles to really "test" it. It was on the lot for quite a while, but the paint looks great.

ca.detailchick
02-28-2016, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=Accumulator;2034439]Same here, it`s like those "double-ended swabs" they used to sell- I`d pay through the nose for these products but they just don`t offer them any more.[/QUO

What did they look like?

Concourswanna b
02-28-2016, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=Accumulator;2034439]Same here, it`s like those "double-ended swabs" they used to sell- I`d pay through the nose for these products but they just don`t offer them any more.[/QUO

What did they look like?

They were part of G`s #15709. Might still have images somewhere online. They were nice since they held up to chemicals without the ends falling off.

ca.detailchick
02-29-2016, 09:34 PM
I couldnt find any images. Just in case you guys dont know they have some q- tip like sticks with one end being flat and the other puffy in the beauty / make up section I have found at CVS.

Sometimes just regular q tips are too big and these come in handy . Very inexpensive also.

GearHead_1
02-29-2016, 09:52 PM
I used to get double ended foam swabs from Meguiars, I believe. I hadn`t been able to find them for years but stumbled across some from Midway (gun stuff), they stopped selling them but I found some that were similar on Amazon. Were these anything like what you`re talking about?

Amazon.com : Gun-tipsTM Double-ended Workhorse Firearm Cleaning Swabs: 81-5527 : Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L1JTLZE?keywords=Double%20ended%20swabs&qid=1456800525&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4)