PDA

View Full Version : Carpet extractor recommendations (for detailing and home use)

4u2nvinmtl
02-23-2016, 03:01 PM
So my birthday is coming up soon (March 10th) and my wife wants to get me something detailing related. I really want/need a carpet extractor but have no clue what`s good and what’s junk.

Any recommendations? I need an extractor I can use in our home (we have pets and wall to wall carpeting) and for car detailing. Ideally something under $500...

Thanks guys & gals!

Poorboy
02-23-2016, 03:15 PM
I would look at what is carried in Canada .. shipping and tax would be a killer .. and then make a choice

4u2nvinmtl
02-23-2016, 03:55 PM
US recommendations welcome, as I live near the US boarder and have US income :)

512detail
02-23-2016, 04:19 PM

I can see it now "sir are you bringing anything illegal across the border"
- No sir, just a hot water carpet extractor

"A what extractor?"

:)

good question though. interested in seeing the recommendations as I would like one of these on about a year or so myself

Tpr1634
02-23-2016, 04:21 PM
More than 5 bills but I like my mytee lite, and the newer version is better.

ShawnF350
02-23-2016, 04:24 PM
Do you already have a steamer?

Poorboy
02-23-2016, 05:01 PM

if you work on this side of the border, have it delivered to work and use it a couple times and leave the box behind .. they won`t say anything at the border about a used machine in your trunk .. just forgot to remove it sir before i went to work this morning :)

Stokdgs
02-23-2016, 10:51 PM
I dont think you will be able to get a good enough machine for Detailing AND the house with wall to wall carpeting for $500...

I have had a Mytee HP60 Spyder for almost 10 years and it can kill automotive carpets really well, but inside, (after you have to purchase a big stainless steel wand) on medium pile carpets, it takes a long time to get all the stuff out...

It has the highest water lift nbr for its size but you really need way more water lift to effectively clean and extract the dirty water out of house carpeting.. And a 20amp circuit...

It CAN be done but it will be a slow process.. You will also want to get some of these to help it dry faster after you have done the work- Amazon.com: Contair® EDGE 2.9 Amp Air Mover Carpet Dryer Blower Floor Fan with GFCI Daisy Chain Capability Gray Color: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Contair%C2%AE-Mover-Carpet-Blower-Capability/dp/B01557WYYC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1456285386&sr=8-8&keywords=floor+drying+fan)

There is a reason why good carpet cleaning professionals have a huge extractor machine in a big van... :)

If its a lower pile carpet, then a less powerful machine like mine would probably be ok as long as you dont inject too much hot water down there - the Learning Curve - :)
Dan F

nothingface5384
02-24-2016, 12:46 AM
Tuffy jr
Or aztec hotrod

MiVor
02-24-2016, 09:28 AM
I already had a Bissell ProHeat upright carpet cleaner for bigger jobs in the house. Some time ago I got a Bissell Spot Bot. It works well for pet `spots` and I`ll be using it for the vehicles and boat. Perhaps not a machine for a commercial detailer, but the two machines work well for me and do all I need them to. Having written the above, I will confess that for the house, every once in a blue moon, we`ll have Stanley Steamer come in for a three room special.

richy
02-25-2016, 05:50 PM
I bought the Mytee lite 2 years ago for the same dual purpose. I also ordered the long handled carpet wand for the house. I.love it. No problems whatsoever. I did a review on AG and L2D.

4u2nvinmtl
02-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Do you already have a steamer?

No, but I need it mainly to clean salt stains from the carpets in my car and my mothers car and to spot clean around the house (pet/kids mess).

4u2nvinmtl
02-25-2016, 06:22 PM
if you work on this side of the border, have it delivered to work and use it a couple times and leave the box behind .. they won`t say anything at the border about a used machine in your trunk .. just forgot to remove it sir before i went to work this morning :)

Yeah, I have a mailing address just across the border (40min drive round trip). Last time I forgot a Boss G21 in the trunk.

The border agents are much cooler up here in Canada than down at the Mexican border (I`m from southern AZ). Last time the guy asked me to rev my SRT (I was hoping the car parts wouldn`t start to rattle).

With the exchange rate so strong, it might make sense to save myself the gas and time and pick something up local ($200 USD is almost $300 CAN)

Accumulator
02-26-2016, 11:39 AM
I already had a Bissell ProHeat upright carpet cleaner for bigger jobs in the house..

I have one of those, and to my great surprise it works *better* overall in the house than my Century Ninja. IIRC it was pretty cheap too (cheap enough that I forget the price).

I`d get one (small) unit for the vehicles and something like the Bissell upright for the house.