PDA

View Full Version : Dp tire coating kit.

PA DETAILER
02-07-2016, 10:23 AM
With the kits currently on sale, thinking of picking one up. And using it this spring in lieu of always applying standard tire dressings. Worth it? is my big question. The members that have used this tire coating, are you happy with the results? And a few questions...

1. Once applied, do you just clean the tires with car wash soap?

2. If they need touched up, i understand no need to clean/strip again. Just reapply.

3. The carrand brushes included in the kit is the best way to apply the coating.

4. The coating is one of the most user friendly.

etnops
02-07-2016, 10:58 AM
If your tires are brand new, and never been dressed with a traditional dressing - yes, it`s worth it.
If you frequently and generously apply traditional tire dressings - no, it`s not worth it. WAY too much work/time to get the tires clean for proper bonding.
If you have aggressive brake pads, which dust-a-ton - no, it`s not worth it.
If you want to screw around with new product, just because - yes, it`s worth it.

Just my opinion....

I stick with traditional dressings after purchasing the kit. It was cool. Fun. But not my thing in retrospect....

pmnewton
02-07-2016, 11:28 AM
I have never, ever had good results with tire coatings. I have used all the prep chemicals and tried all the techniques including airbrushing. Every product has started peeling within the first few drives. The only way to remove most coatings is with acetone and it is very messy and potentially damaging to your wheels. I can honestly say that I will never use tire coatings again. Just keep `em clean and dress every few washes. It will save you a lot of time.

- Patrick

The Guz
02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
With the kits currently on sale, thinking of picking one up. And using it this spring in lieu of always applying standard tire dressings. Worth it? is my big question. The members that have used this tire coating, are you happy with the results?

Yes I am happy with the tire coating. I just made an update to my review thread. One caveat is to follow Nick`s (from Autogeek) recommendation on not using any type of tire dressings for a few weeks prior to application of the tire coating. I went 2 months and cleaned the tires weekly.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/182150-review-dp-tire-coating-3.html#post2030583

1. Once applied, do you just clean the tires with car wash soap?

My cleaning regiment consisted of Meguiar`s D114 when I do rinseless washes. On those rare occasions when I brought out the 2 buckets, I use a Mothers tire brush and car wash soap. That is all I have done.

2. If they need touched up, i understand no need to clean/strip again. Just reapply.

I have not had to retouch the tire coating in the 2 months I have had it on. DP tire coating is pretty durable and I have a write up on how to remove it if it doesn`t bond well or if one wants to start with a fresh base.

3. The carrand brushes included in the kit is the best way to apply the coating.

Yes. I squeezed the bristles together between my index finger and thumb to have them bundled together so the tire coating stays on the bristles and not trickle down them. Of course I had to depress my fingers once I applied it.

4. The coating is one of the most user friendly.

I would say it is.

Another recommendation I have is to first clean the tires with another tire cleaner. When the cleaner is no longer turning brown go over the tires once or twice with the DP tire cleaner in the kit. This will save you from using up the entire contents of the DP tire cleaner. For example I used Meguiar`s D143 at 2:1 until the suds showed up as white. After that I gave it another couple passes with DP tire cleaner. DP tire cleaner still brought out a little more stuff from the tire. This method saved me a lot of DP tire cleaner.

mjlinane
02-08-2016, 05:58 AM
I`ve really liked it so far. It does take a few rounds of tire cleaning to prep. I ueed DP Tire Restore and Megs APC. I used a small shoe polish brush to apply with excellent results. Only 3 & 4 weeks in but no sign of fading yet.

DBAILEY
02-09-2016, 05:19 AM
The DP Tire Coating absolutely works and is a lot easier to use than the TW coating. I didn`t like the black tint to the TW. There is none in DP. It is bluish white and then dries clear in about 5 minutes. Very easy to brush on with the Carrand brush. I have had the DP Tire Coating on my own car for about 14 months now. I have only redone them 1 time so far back in August. I personally use a different cleaner at first then follow up with the DP Tire cleaner to make sure it is clean.

The comments about just putting a normal tire dressing on every few washes saving you time is just silly. I have had to coat my tires 2 times in 14 months. Are you trying to tell me that you have spent less time on your tires than I have in the past 14 months?

No the DP Tire coating will not look like freshly dressed tires for more than a week or two, but then only a freshly dressed tire is going to look like a freshly dress tire. The appearance the coating after a 2-3 weeks reminds me of what PERL looks like after you have been driving on PERL treated tires for a week without any rain and the sheen has worn down a bit. Still a nice sheen and the tires look clean. And regular car shampoo cleans them up easily.

DBAILEY
02-09-2016, 05:26 AM
I do agree that if you`ve been using silicone laden solvent base tire dressings on your tires up to this point ( ie. Megs Endurance) then you will probably have a very difficult time getting the tires clean enough.

And form personal trial and error, do not apply the DP Tire Coating when the ambient temps are below 60 degrees F. It does not like being applied to cold rubber.