PDA

View Full Version : windsheild scratched from polishing dust

kenpoman1
05-22-2006, 11:57 PM
I made a mistake trying to remove polish dust, from ssr 2.5 , sprayed stoners IG and rubbed it off with mf, now my windsheild is hazy and lightly scratched.I tried claying it and more Stoners IG, made it worse. Any one have any ideas,
can i polish this out?
http://f5.putfile.com/5/14200301669.jpg

audiboy
05-23-2006, 12:29 AM
You might want to give DP`s High Performance Glass Restorer a shot. I`ve used it for heavy water spots with great results. On another note, welcome to DC. Make sure you stop by the new members forum to give yourself a proper introduction.

JohnZ3MC
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
I made a mistake trying to remove polish dust, from ssr 2.5 , sprayed stoners IG and rubbed it off with mf, now my windsheild is hazy and lightly scratched.I tried claying it and more Stoners IG, made it worse. Any one have any ideas,
can i polish this out?

Yes you can and I`ve polished out stuff much worse than that.
Cerium oxide is a fine polish made for glass products and is used in the astronomical field to polish telescope lenses so it`s safe for glass because it`s made to work with glass.
A few companies like JC Whitney sell a polishing kit for around 30 bucks that includes enough cerium oxide powder to do many windshields plus a 2 inch felt pad and mandrel for an electric drill.
Mix up a slurry of the powder and water and use the pad to polish the windshield. Don`t give up early, it may take 45 min. of polishing but you will see progress.
I removed harsh windshield wiper scratches from the wife`s windshield (Camaro) and still have lots of product left.
The only issue with it is its ever so slightly radioactive, sort of like your watch that glows in the dark but not even that radioactive. You don`t want to carry the extra cerium oxide in your pocket for the rest of your life, you want to do like I do, I store it in my neighbour`s basement. Just kidding. It`s down on a shelf in the basement.
It works very well.
-John C.

kenpoman1
05-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Was thinking about trying the cerium oxide. Was also wondering if i could
try the ssr2.5 followed by ssr1 or fpII on the pc. since the dust from pooboy`s r ssr 2.5 was abrasive enough to scratch the window in the first place , i`m guessing it might work to buff out the scratches. Just haven`t got enough nerve to try it yet.

kaos
05-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Dust from SSR2.5 should NOT be able to scratch glass. If it could scratch glass, then it would be so strong that it would go through your clearcoat in a heartbeat. As an example... slide your key across your windshield. No scratch. And it`s metal. Now slide that key across your paint. :) Any product that`s safe enough for clearcoat will not scratch glass.

How old is the car? On my 15 year old car, the windshield was full of tiny little pits from rocks and stones over the years that you couldn`t normally see, and if I got anything that left a residue (such as polish) on the glass, it would fill in those little pits, and I`d have to wash it with vinegar to get all the little specks to go away.

IG *should* have taken off any residue from the polish left on the surface. You could try a vinegar or alcohol wash just to make sure that you`re getting all the residue off.