PDA

View Full Version : FLEX PE8 rotary reviews

Pages : [1] 2

Mary B
01-29-2016, 08:18 AM
I will be purchasing a Flex Pe8 and would love to hear some input from anyone using this pocket polisher ? I`ve been lurkin` & learnin` for 8 months or so, here`s your chance to help a newby.

donbeezy
01-29-2016, 11:39 AM
im curious on the PE8 too. subscribed.

what would be some advantages and disadvantages of using the PE8 over a dedicated 3" PC?

would a PE8 have less power then a full size rotary converted to a 3"?

Ccrew
01-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Best $ I`ve ever spent. This from a guy that has Flex, Rupes, Griots, and Porter Cable units. Highly advise getting at a minimum 2 or three of the extensions to get behind mirrors and in tight spots.

Buff and Shine Rotary Backing Plate Extension (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/buff-and-shine-rotary-backing-plate-extension.html#.VquZA8eBJdA)

heisenberg
01-29-2016, 12:53 PM
Sorry to derail the topic but I am holding off on the Kompakt in favor of the Rupes Nano. Tough decision because Connect makes the Kompakt extremely affordable and the Nano will be >2x the cost... but battery powered and the option of using DA function

Anyone want to weigh in?

Justins00ss
01-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Love my PE8. Very versatile tool. I use it pretty much on every correction job.

Rsurfer
01-29-2016, 01:53 PM
Sorry to derail the topic but I am holding off on the Kompakt in favor of the Rupes Nano. Tough decision because Connect makes the Kompakt extremely affordable and the Nano will be >2x the cost... but battery powered and the option of using DA function

Anyone want to weigh in?

Hard to weigh in when no one has one yet.

heisenberg
01-29-2016, 02:09 PM
Hard to weigh in when no one has one yet.

Yeah, of course. I guess my question was more "Do you foresee there being a marked improvement over what the Kompakt already offers when considering the two?"

Wanted to see if anyone out there was considering the two options as well and what they may have thought of that I haven`t.

ShaneB
01-29-2016, 02:23 PM
LOVE my PE8, cant live without it.

My other option for using a rotary for small pads is my Makita, and itll work, it just isn`t the easiest to maneuver around due to its size. I keep them both going at the same time and work around the car, grab the PE8 for the small stuff, then do the rest of a panel with the Makita or even my rupes 21 then move on to the next

Stokdgs
01-29-2016, 03:34 PM
It starts at 1300 rpm and goes to 2700 rpm..

I dont want anything starting that fast... Certainly don`t need that speed to correct anyway...

This from the Ad - "While it’s true you can equip a full size rotary polisher with a smaller backing plate, the physical size and weight of the tool makes it difficult to see exactly where you’re polishing. "

My feedback - Not if you put a spacer on the Rotary, then you can see everything, and the Rotary is not in the way...

Where are these little tiny spots you need to put a spinning pad into ???? I dont have that need..

For things like the door cups - that round space underneath a door handle on a BMW for example - all you need is your finger with a white towel, and a little Meguiars 105 and you can quickly take out all those fingernail scratches...

Being made by Flex who makes machines to polish stone, I am sure it will be very well built and all, so that is a very good point..

And for sure, it will be eons better than that little Griot`s toy thing...:)
Dan F

donbeezy
01-29-2016, 04:25 PM
but that griots toy is so fun!

Ccrew
01-29-2016, 04:50 PM
but that griots toy is so fun!

That`s what she said :P

The Driver
01-29-2016, 05:00 PM
I agree with Dan,

Rotary an newbie is not the best idea, let alone a rotor with no soft start or an rpm not under 1k. A machine like that is nice to have but I definitely wouldn`t have it as a primary tool. I have had every single flex except that model because it`s use is just too limiting or it`s cannibalized by the pe-14. If you want something small and compact, get a rupes 75E, if you want a rotary small enough to run extensions, get a pe-14. If your just learning the rotary, definitely get a hitachi sp18va or a dewalt 849x. Slow speeds and heavier for better control.

Just my take but I will NOT buy any rotary that doesn`t have a trigger, far too much risk.

RaskyR1
01-29-2016, 06:34 PM

Anyone want to weigh in?

I have to agree on this even without using the nano. My Flex PE14 does the same work of the PE8 and more, but with a proper variable speed trigger, which IMO any tool used to do delicate 1" - 3" work should have.

wendell jarvis
01-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Its a great tool , my biggest complaint is the dial speed control and the On and Off switch.....only reason I purchased it was Open Box Special and got it next to nothing, but if you are just starting off in Detailing I would pass on this.

donbeezy
01-29-2016, 08:31 PM
thank you everyone for chiming in, will be passing on a pe8.