PDA

View Full Version : VX-5000 still a preferred steamer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

bennylava
01-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Hi all, new here. Just wanted to stop by and ask about what the preferred detailing steamer is these days. I did some looking around and a bit of research, and it seems that the VX5000 steamer is, or was for a long time the sort of go-to steamer for a great many detailers. Is that still the case? I certainly like the price, as its around $750. I was expecting to have to spend about double that for a quality commercial grade steamer. I run a small car business from my house, buying broken stuff and fixing it and selling it. But presentation is key, and I need to be able to get all that old grease, oil, and dirt off of the engines. As well as being able to make cleaning an interior a heck of a lot easier.

I`ll be wanting to use a steamer on engines, as well as interiors. And of course I need it to perform very well. So I guess I`m just asking if the VX5000 has been replaced by something better by now. I know there are a ton of steamers to choose from, but I like its compact size. Is there any reason I shouldn`t get the VX5000? Is it still pretty up to date?

nothingface5384
01-11-2016, 01:01 PM
I just purchased a Vaporxbief single pro
Outspecs the vx5000/VM3000 while being cheaper
But if you prefer the vx I know a site that sells it for 680

nothingface5384
01-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Vapor chief

nothingface5384
01-11-2016, 01:14 PM
From my research allot of machines that were over speced in the 1500 and under price ranged arnt true commercial grade and its iffy if they`d really last in our line of work..

The ones that are built solid that`d I`d consider are the
Vx5000/VM3000 single boiler
Vaporchief single
And dupray Tosca

Vaporcheifs single pro out specs the vx5000/vm3000 while being cheaper
The vapor chief continuous outspecs the Dupray Tosca bit is 200 to 300 more

Anything else besides the ones mentioned I wouldn`t invest in

65chevy
01-11-2016, 07:46 PM
the vx 5000 will take to long for engine cleaning

Detailology Oz
01-11-2016, 09:59 PM
VX is a fine unit, takes a beating over here in Australia with a 240 volt aussie transformer in it and 15 amp socket, but Its the hose thats the problem. they`ve just gone to brass fitting inside hose as the plastic bit inside fails eventually and steam pisses out the front of the machine then.

Stokdgs
01-11-2016, 10:41 PM
I have had the VX5000 for over a decade and its a fine machine, but I dont think (like 65Chevy does) it will be that great on a full on engine cleaning...
The bigger machines with a bigger, longer hose and more psi would perhaps be better...

For that reason I just use my smaller pressure washer with a wide fan nozzle and never have an issue cleaning the engine, compartment, underside of the hood, all the places down the sides of the engine, blowing out the radiator from the back side, and all those nooks and crannies inside the front fenders, the back of the grills if accessible, etc...

Good Luck !
Dan F

bennylava
01-13-2016, 12:13 PM
So 2 votes for vapor chief, and 2 saying the VX-5000 would take too long to clean engines. So I`ll scrap my VX-5000 idea.

But will the Vapor chief clean engines fast enough?

bennylava
01-13-2016, 04:22 PM
An afterthought:

Also, which particular model of vapor chief are you guys recommending? They seem to have several, with a ranging from $450 to $2,000

65chevy
01-13-2016, 05:01 PM
if I was steam cleaning engines I would probally get 2100.00 unit

bennylava
01-13-2016, 05:26 PM
What is the reason? Just more PSI blowing out? Or higher temperatures?

What are we really talking about here? Why is one steamer better than another for detailing engines, specifically. Lets get it all out.

nothingface5384
01-13-2016, 07:23 PM
What is the reason? Just more PSI blowing out? Or higher temperatures?

What are we really talking about here? Why is one steamer better than another for detailing engines, specifically. Lets get it all out.

More PSI = hotter temp, which equates to more cleaning power which speeds up process

Me personally.. for engine detailing, I`ll be using BF waterless wash and trim/tire AIO

nothingface5384
01-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Besides cheaper price and extra PSI I chose Vaporchief over the vx5000/vm3000 due to the following
External heater element.. Replaceable and less dependant in needing distilled only water
More powerful wattage heater element = quicker initial water heatup..
3liter boiler vs 3.5 of vx..with that in conjunction with higher wattage heater element means quicker PSI recovery and possibly higher continuous use PSI.

I got the 75 psi model.. If I let it sit it initially reached just shy of 85psi
Continuous use I never noticed it drop past 50psi

bennylava
01-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Seems like this really isn`t an exact science, and different people have different opinions on it. I`ll probably just buy the Vaporchief $1200 unit just to be on the safe side. No way that thing is somehow bad at detailing engines.

kesmit
01-13-2016, 10:18 PM
More PSI = hotter temp, which equates to more cleaning power which speeds up process

Me personally.. for engine detailing, I`ll be using BF waterless wash and trim/tire AIO

I`d second this. I just got a VX5000 and also just started doing engine detailing on my own cars. The BF trim/tire AIO is quite good for this (tires too, but I didn`t like it on exterior plastic trim). I plan on doing as much as I can with waterless wash, then hit the tight areas with the steamer. Then I`ll follow that up with the BF trim/tire AIO and some aerosol dressing.