PDA

View Full Version : Full Detail -- How often?

BlackAcura
05-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey guys,

Fairly new to the forum and extremely new to detailing. Recently I just did the following detail:

NXT Wash
Mother`s Claybar
SSR2.5 with PC*
PwC blue with PC*
Two layers NXT Paste Wax*

*applied with PC / removed by hand

How often can I do this? -- (the full process listed above) I love detailing, so the more often the better! Detailing relaxes me and I would do the full process monthly if possible :D -- but I know that`s not the best idea.

I have some scratches that I could not get out with my SSR2.5. These scratches are not deep. I used SSR2.5 and a yellow medium cutting pad and no luck. Either it`s my inexperience with the PC or I might have to move to SSR3.

My other question is -- if I purchase some SSR3 soon can I go back at trying to remove scratches or is it not a good idea to remove the polish and wax so soon?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks guys.

CalgaryDetail
05-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Hey guys,

Fairly new to the forum and extremely new to detailing. Recently I just did the following detail:

NXT Wash
Mother`s Claybar
SSR2.5 with PC*
PwC blue with PC*
Two layers NXT Paste Wax*

*applied with PC / removed by hand

How often can I do this? -- (the full process listed above) I love detailing, so the more often the better! Detailing relaxes me and I would do the full process monthly if possible :D -- but I know that`s not the best idea.

I have some scratches that I could not get out with my SSR2.5. These scratches are not deep. I used SSR2.5 and a yellow medium cutting pad and no luck. Either it`s my inexperience with the PC or I might have to move to SSR3.

My other question is -- if I purchase some SSR3 soon can I go back at trying to remove scratches or is it not a good idea to remove the polish and wax so soon?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks guys.
not to sound like an idiot but whenever it needs it. It all depends on the weather, climate, and the amount you drive. For example i find i have to clay every 5or so months where someone next to the ocean would have to do more becasue of the stuff inthe air form the salt water. As to the swirl removing you will find later you will need a less abrasive ssr as there will be less scartches, but again it depends on the weather conditions

cwcad
05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
I do a full detail on my Black truck three to four times a year. Mostly because of self induced marring from way to many QD treatments. Washing was another way that I use to induce marring. I had the wrong idea that with the purchase of a PC that I would be able to take care of all marring and scratches that I induced.

As I have become more knowledgeable in detailing, I realized that I had the wrong idea about the PC. Just because I am able to remove swirls does not mean that I should induce them. Knowledge of proper washing and QD techniques have greatly reduced the need to do a complete detail three to four times a year.

Using the right product with the least abbrassive pad to get the job done will allow you to use the PC when ever it is needed. With proper techniques the need will be less and less important. Unless you are obcessed as I am. Where upon you may still be doing it three or four times a year or more. Which is where I sit at the moment. The vehicle looks good but some how I feel that I may be able to get a little better look so I start at it again and a again.

GearHead_1
05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
I do a full detail on my Black truck three to four times a year.

Same here only it`s a white truck.

audiboy
05-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Like others said, it all depends on where you live and how much damage you induce. I find that twice a year works well for me.

BlackAcura
05-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys. Very helpful comments.

So is it ok to go back to removing the scratches with any SSR after full detail?

budman3
05-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Yes you can do it whenever you want (to a certain extent) but make sure that you always have the paint protected. After you are finished polishing a scratch on your door after a detail make sure you reapply your sealant and you should be fine.

groebuck
05-22-2006, 11:32 AM
every weekend and twice on sundays - if you are on this forum :lol

Maxima Lover
05-22-2006, 11:44 AM
So is it ok to go back to removing the scratches with any SSR after full detail?

Just to back up budmans comments, it`s fine. After you use the SSR, I would step down to SSR2.5 with a polishing pad, then PwC, and then your two layers of NXT. Good luck at fixing the scratches.