PDA

View Full Version : How long does paint last?

Suzanna
05-21-2006, 09:57 AM
With proper protection, will the original, factory car paint last the life of a car?
For me, I keep cars 10-15 years.

I am gun-shy about repainting cars, after my Accord was ruined.
I bought the top of the line produce from a franchise.
Big mistake.
They did a good job on my husband`s car, but mine turned out terrible.
And worse, I developed rust spots.

With a new car, I am into the best preventative paint care possible, so the original paint will always be good.
Is that possible?

Thanks,
Suzanna

audiboy
05-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Here is a thread with a 1989 VW Golf with the original paint still shining:

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/the-detailing-showcase/18325-my-other-golf-16v-gti.html?highlight=golf

As long as you had a good quality factory paint job and you take care of it, there is no reason that a paint job shouldn`t last. Of course, rock chips will do their best to ruin your paint, but those can be combated with some touch up paint and some wet sanding if it gets bad enough.

norahcrv
05-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Suzanna,

Here are a couple of shots of my 1985 Honda Civic Wagon which has never been repainted & has survived the last seventeen years being a daily driver/"Mom`s Taxi" in the hot Arizona sun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/coolchid/DSC00040_edited.jpg

And a close up shot of the roof. . .

http://static.flickr.com/48/111512682_d7d8cf2d2e.jpg?v=0

Sorry, I can`t find the other pics right now, but this is twenty-one yeard old original factory paint.

Norah

Suzanna
05-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Those are beautiful.

Now what do you do?
Your results are wonderful!

Suzanna
who does not have a garage, has to park under a tree, lives in Florida

AutopiaAdmin
05-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Keeping the paint CLEAN and CONTAMINANT FREE will do wonders for the long-term health and longevity of your paint.

Embedded contaiminants and contamination on the paint surface will attack the finish if left on over a period of time.

To keep the paint finish looking great for 10-15 years or more you should.

1. Wash the vehicle regularly with a mild car wash shampoo. Stay away from dish soaps and commercial car washes. They will strip the wax right off of your paint and cause the rubber trim and mouldings to dry out. I`ve seen it happen. Hand wash using soft wash mitts and two buckets, one for suds and one for a clean water rinse.

2. If it comes from a bird, insect, tree or paint can, get it off your paint now!!! Love bugs, bird bombs, tree sap, tree pollen and paint overspray all need to be removed as soon as possible. Making sure that you car is clean and waxed at all times will buy you some time but even the best wax or sealant is NO MATCH for highly acidic love bugs and bird bombs. Remove the offending contaminant and rewax to replenish the protection.

3. Use detailing clay as needed to remove contamination that washing alone doesn`t remove.

4. Use a mild polish or paint cleaner once or twice a year, before waxing but after claying, to smooth the paint finish and deep clean the paint.

5. As long as you are using clean foam pads and applicators and are using a non-abrasive wax or sealant, YOU CANNOT WAX YOUR CAR TOO OFTEN. If you have time, and enjoy the process, waxing once a month in Florida is a good thing.

6. Keep some quick detail spray and a microfiber towel on hand at all times for on-the-spot touch ups.

These are the basics that anyone can use to keep paint healthy and looking great. Feel free to add to this if you have more tips to keep paint looking great.

CalgaryDetail
05-21-2006, 05:22 PM
the paint should last longer then 15 years IF you take care of it. like was mentioned by Dywane you need to do the work but it will definlty last if taken care of

joe.p
05-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Keeping the paint CLEAN and CONTAMINANT FREE will do wonders for the long-term health and longevity of your paint.

Embedded contaiminants and contamination on the paint surface will attack the finish if left on over a period of time.

To keep the paint finish looking great for 10-15 years or more you should.

1. Wash the vehicle regularly with a mild car wash shampoo. Stay away from dish soaps and commercial car washes. They will strip the wax right off of your paint and cause the rubber trim and mouldings to dry out. I`ve seen it happen. Hand wash using soft wash mitts and two buckets, one for suds and one for a clean water rinse.

2. If it comes from a bird, insect, tree or paint can, get it off your paint now!!! Love bugs, bird bombs, tree sap, tree pollen and paint overspray all need to be removed as soon as possible. Making sure that you car is clean and waxed at all times will buy you some time but even the best wax or sealant is NO MATCH for highly acidic love bugs and bird bombs. Remove the offending contaminant and rewax to replenish the protection.

3. Use detailing clay as needed to remove contamination that washing alone doesn`t remove.

4. Use a mild polish or paint cleaner once or twice a year, before waxing but after claying, to smooth the paint finish and deep clean the paint.

5. As long as you are using clean foam pads and applicators and are using a non-abrasive wax or sealant, YOU CANNOT WAX YOUR CAR TOO OFTEN. If you have time, and enjoy the process, waxing once a month in Florida is a good thing.

6. Keep some quick detail spray and a microfiber towel on hand at all times for on-the-spot touch ups.

These are the basics that anyone can use to keep paint healthy and looking great. Feel free to add to this if you have more tips to keep paint looking great.Great write up. +1 to make this a sticky. Very informative. Norah i would have never thought the V was 21+ years. Is this the same V you posted the other day after using CK products..

norahcrv
05-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Great info, Dwayne!! :bigups

Joe - no, the one I did last weekend is my 2004 Honda CR-V - it`s only two years old, but I hope that with proper care, it will look as good in another twenty years :)

Here`s a pic of the 85 Wagon reflected in the side of the 04 V:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/norahcrv/60512VDetail/DSC00063.jpg

PS - Sorry for the late reply - lost internet yesterday - couldn`t wait to come to work this morning!! :D