PDA

View Full Version : An Overhaulin` type of detail

Scott P
05-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Tonight, the wife had a Southern Living Party. Since Dundee (Trained Killer Ninja Attack Guard Dog and Packing Assistant) was being a little too energetic, I got to take him outside for a bit. In our driveway was the car belonging to the girl who was helping my wife with the party. It was a rather dirty Altima with a good brake dust collection on the wheels and a few scuffs. Since I needed something to do, I thought I`d be nice and wash her car. It was almost 6:45 or so and my driveway was fully shaded.

The wheels got some good ol` Spray and Rinse. The tires and wheel wells got cleaned with tire cleaner and a brush. They were quite nasty actually. I washed the car and had to change my rinse bucket twice. The water just sat there on the surface. There was no wax at all left on the car. You know I couldn`t leave it like that.

Since I was working with a limited time frame, I just wanted to do a quick once-over. I grabbed some regular Moose Wax from the arsenal and a white polishing pad with the PC. I forgot how nicely MW works as a one step product. The paint really didn`t have a lot of oxidation, but it was a little rough. I did two panels at a time and then buffed off the residue. I changed the pad half-way through the job. There was a paint scuff on the front bumper, so I took care of that with some Optimum Polish before hitting it with Moose Wax. I even hit the side and rear windows with the stuff.
The tires got some Four Star Tire Gel (I really like that stuff). While I was letting the gel sit, I hit the front window valence or whatever with some Trim Restorer. I buffed both off with a cotton towel.

Just as I was buffing off the last tire, the owner came outside. She had no idea what I had been doing outside all night. She was floored. She said "I can`t believe you did all this! I have to go inside and tell your wife how wonderful her husband is!" Yes, she was one of those perky cheery types.

To me, it was a very quick wash and wax. To her, it meant the world. She still couldn`t believe that someone would do something like that. I was just bored and needed something outside to do. I completely made her night. I never knew that the way to a woman`s heart was through washing her car. Where was that info when I was single? The other women at the party (mostly neighbors) said they were going to start parking their dirty cars in our driveway. :)

Sorry, no pics. I was doing this on the sly and my camera was inside. Plus, it was getting darker outside and shade pics always make paint look better than it actually is.

audiboy
05-20-2006, 10:57 PM
That was very nice of you and I`m glad the owner was happy. It probably earned you some brownie points with the wife which is a good thing too.

cwcad
05-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Random acts of kindness are rare. Usually appreciated. They are always something that we should aspire to.

Just the thought has brightened my day, Scott.

Pic`s or no pic`s....GOOD JOB!!

CalgaryDetail
05-20-2006, 11:13 PM
That`s a cool story. I`m sure she loved it, maybe she`ll bring u some business lol

Katieee
05-22-2006, 05:36 PM
That was really nice of you.