PDA

View Full Version : Help with the layering of products...

Julius_911
12-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Hello,

It`s been a while!
I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima that I take care of..washing, claying, polishing, waxing over the years with my PC. The car is in great shape, but it`s been 2 years that the car has been in storage and I wanted to give it a great detailing. I have some products, but I forgot what does what and in what sequence I apply them.....if someone can guide me, into which order I should be doing this, it would be of great help!

I have a PC (porter cable?) with all the pad colors
I have:
HDUNO
HDProxy
HDPolish
WolfGang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Collinate #845 (spelling?)
Red Moose Machine Glaze by Clearkote
Meguire Gold class wax

My car is black clearcoat that is in great paint shape (and I want to keep it that way). I already washed it and clayed it. The swirls are very minor, but I do have a few deep scratches.

Can someone tell me in what sequence I should be layering these products to give it a great shine?

Thank you!

EzyBrzy
12-18-2015, 06:13 PM
You can use HD Polish to remove the light swirls, then top it off with HD Poxy(Makes dark colors look nice especially if you have metallic flakes). You can also use Wolfgangs instead of HD Poxy which will last longer then top that with a carnuaba wax (gold class) if you want.

Accumulator
12-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Julius_911- As noted, use the abrasive products to correct/improve the marring.

As for layering the glazes/sealants/waxes, I`d have to have a very specific, and well thought-out reason for doing *any* layering. IMO most layering is just navel-gazing BS that sells a lot of products and wastes a lot of time and effort. But I *do* layer products when I have a reason to do so, and you might want to try something like using that Red Moose Glaze under the Collinite 845. But I doubt that I`d bother.

Doesn`t the Gold Class tend to mess up underlying products? I haven`t used it for decades but IIRC at one time it had enough (very gentle) cleaners that it wasn`t all that glaze-friendly.

silverfox
12-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Why why why why why? Not necessary. It is indeed BS which is only useful if you`re selling the stuff.

Julius_911
12-19-2015, 02:39 PM
I`m not sure which I should start with....HDUNO , HDPoxy and HDPolish, Red Moose Glaze,#845

From what I`m hearing and researching...
1. HDuno (wool pad)
2. HDPoxy(orange pad)
3. RedMoose Glaze
4. Collinite 845

Sounds good?

tropicsteve
12-20-2015, 09:06 AM
I would just polish with hd polish and layer several coats of wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant. the first couple coats of wg can be applied one after the other to ensure full coverage, then wait at least 12 hrs to recoat with wg. you`ll be pleasantly surprised at how great it looks, and it`s probably the longest lasting of your products. later, I usually use a good spray wax after washes just because it`s so easy and speeds drying. I personally still like bfms over bfwd for layering because they seem to bond together better and last longer with similar ingredients. (though I challenge anyone to do a side by side with the layered look and just a couple coats of bfwd and try to tell the difference. I did so and honestly couldn`t tell any difference as to one looking better than the other. both looked great)

Accumulator
12-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Julius_911- I wouldn`t use the Uno on a wool pad (and I don`t think you should use a wool pad at all) and if you use it at all you`ll probably need to use HD Polish afterwards. I wouldn`t want to finish the polishing with an orange pad, but rather with something milder.

The Poxy is a non-abrasive Last Step Product so I wouldn`t use it and then glaze and then another LSP.

Very Short Version of what you could try IMO:
HD polish on orange- does this correct the marring? If not, repeat until satisfied. If so, go on to:
HD Polish on milder pad- this gives the final finish. Be sure this step leaves things looking the way you want them. If not, repeat until satisfied.
HD Poxy- this is a LSP. Do one coat now and another after the next wash. (You could use the 845 or the Wolfgang sealant or the Meguiar`s Gold Class instead if you have a reason to prefer one of those)
Done.

You need to figure out whether the HD Polish will do the correction you want and if not use the slightly stronger Uno. Be sure you know *exactly* why you`re using which product(s) and what to expect at each step of the process. I`m a little worried that you might not have a completely clear understanding of what you`ll be doing and why. I don`t want you to waste time/effort, let alone have an "oops!" where the results are displeasing.

craigdt
12-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Why why why why why? Not necessary. It is indeed BS which is only useful if you`re selling the stuff.Did you ready the study that the guy on the UK website did? Basically, layering does sometimes work, just not to the extent that the Zaino guys think.Now, does that necessarily make a sealant or wax more effective?Who knows.....

Accumulator
12-20-2015, 11:21 AM
When it comes to layering, there are just *so* many variables that can come into play. If somebody wants to play around with the concept (hey, I did, with the products I use anyhow) for some specific reason, and is willing to be methodical enough to really find out what works/doesn`t for *him* that`s one thing; but otherwise, eh...beware the temptation to confuse motion with progress.

But in any case, people oughta know what they`re trying to accomplish, how/why a given approach might facilitate that, and how they`re gonna determine whether they were successful or not.