PDA

View Full Version : Prep before applying LSP

sk55
11-17-2015, 07:15 PM
So I finished cleaning the car with meguiar cleaner wax? Do I have to wash or do something else before applying fk1000p?

Ronkh
11-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Get rid of the megs wax, so the fk goes directly on the paint, not over something else.

KBsToy
11-18-2015, 05:57 AM
Get rid of the megs wax, so the fk goes directly on the paint, not over something else.

There are other items to use maybe a paint cleaner or a polish then apply FK 1000 very lightly.

This is what I used

Prima Amigo Pre-Wax Cleanser & Gloss Enhancer 16 oz.

Accumulator
11-18-2015, 12:26 PM
FK1000P can bond fine to quite a few products (I hardly ever put it on bare paint and look how I rave about the durability), but I would *NOT* put it over Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax. But since I wouldn`t do it, I don`t know if the combo would work OK or not either! Maybe it`ll work fine.

Try a test-spot and see if the FK1000P bonds OK as opposed to smearing and/or otherwise just not working OK. And report back if/when it works/doesn`t :D

If I had to put money on it, I`d actually bet that it`ll work OK. Hey, Fk1000P worked fine for me over 1Z WPS.

Eh, there are just so many paint-cleaning products I`d rather use over the Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax...no I`m not a product-snob, but it`s just not something I was favorably impressd by. Their old, discontinued Pro Mirror Glaze Cleaner Waxes were a different story, those had some pretty potent chemical cleaners in `em.

EDIT: but why did I have to slam the Meguiar`s when sk55 seems perfectly happy with it?!? Sheesh, my bad :o

EXPDetailing
11-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Why shouldn`t he apply over Megs cleaned wax?

Accumulator
11-18-2015, 06:28 PM

I think the (potential) issue was with the Fk1000P bonding. Though it`s generally considered a "paste sealant", and sealants can be finnicky in this regard, the FK1000P seems to bond to most things just fine.

I also think that many of us here kind of knee-jerk-flame the use of the Meguiar`s Cleaner Wax.

Ronkh
11-18-2015, 06:50 PM
IMHO
instead of a cleaner wax, something like poorboys pro polish, then fk1000.

An AIO is sorta like an all season tire, it`s ok for summer, it`s ok for winter, but does it do anything really good?

Ccrew
11-18-2015, 10:40 PM
An AIO is sorta like an all season tire, it`s ok for summer, it`s ok for winter, but does it do anything really good?

Have to lol. Ever get caught in the snow on a set of Eagle F1 Supercars? Happened to me and the wife on Valentines Day. Day trip ended up overnight in a hotel I tell ya. You`ll want those all seasons`s!

Ronkh
11-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Have to lol. Ever get caught in the snow on a set of Eagle F1 Supercars? Happened to me and the wife on Valentines Day. Day trip ended up overnight in a hotel I tell ya. You`ll want those all seasons`s!

Don`t like driving on hockey pucks ?

Ccrew
11-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Don`t like driving on hockey pucks ?

Ha! Let`s just say the traction control system went a bit nuts!

MDRX8
11-19-2015, 07:15 AM
Wash with Dawn orginal soap. That will remove any oils or waxes.

MiVor
12-09-2015, 08:58 AM

A cleaner wax is "WAX" (maybe synthetic / maybe carnuba) with a chemical cleaner. Applying another wax over a cleaner wax may bond well or may not. In my thinking, the best bonding for an LSP is always over clean paint. Having `said` that, in some cases, we recognize that to a point, layering compatible products works quite well.