PDA

View Full Version : For those that watch "Street Outlaws"

skibik
11-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Street Outlaw’s Justin “Big Chief” Shearer and Brian “Chucky” Davis Crash During TV Filming (http://www.hotrod.com/news/street-outlaws-justin-big-chief-shearer-and-brian-chucky-davis-crash-during-tv-filming/)

Noticed this news just popped up on my facebook page. I am not exactly for street racing and think it should be done at the track but I will say I do like the show to see the cars with the crazy horsepower. And no, I don`t watch it is anticipation of seeing an accident. But it is bound to happen with the kind of horsepwoer those cars are putting down.

512detail
11-16-2015, 01:03 PM
I wouldn`t call it "street racing" as it`s obviously sanctioned to some extent otherwise they would not be able to film the show...but either way as a fellow car guy I never like to see this kind of vehicle carnage.

Billy Jack
11-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately, that`s the risk you take when you have way too much power, going way too fast on a less than ideal surface. I raced Winged Outlaw Sprint Cars for a number of years and we maintained that a good night of racing was when you could load it on the trailer without assistance from a tow truck. Discovery Channel`s influence, or more likely Discovery Channel`s insurance carrier`s influence minimizes danger by keeping some safety equipment standards in effect. I`ve done some street racing in the past and never saw anyone zipping up a firesuit or strapping on a helmet on the streets. Thankfully, Big Chief and Daddy Dave (who destroyed his newly built Nova at the track) will live to battle again.

Bill

The Driver
11-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Bottom line, racing on streets dumb. You have 10x the variables from cracked asphalt, uneven surface, different kinds of asphalt, dirt, debris, oil etc all unforeseen and completely unmapped. At a track you have a perfect surface made for grip and safety personnel on standby + no high curbs to flip you either...