PDA

View Full Version : How can I fix these wheels?

rrpalma
11-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Hello,

Just got a 3/4 ton Suburban that has been in storage for close to a year. Paint seems to be in very good condition. However, the wheels have what appears to be lighter colored scratches (but they are not scratches) -- I`m attaching some pictures. Is there any way to leave the wheels looking brand new?

Thanks for reading!

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28973&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28974&stc=1

512detail
11-07-2015, 03:05 PM
subscribed. I see this on GM wheels all the time walking by and looking around

I always thought it was just some type of abrasion scar but I do recall touching one and it was elevated from the wheel.

dcjredline
11-07-2015, 03:07 PM
See the post on AG, I already answered you there

512detail
11-07-2015, 03:10 PM
See the post on AG, I already answered you there

oh man now I have to search AG :)

rrpalma
11-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone. Very humid weather here. Just talked to my close friend who owns a body shop / detailing company with a few locations. He says that probably the only way to fix this is by going through a professional polishing and perhaps re-lathing job. Opinions?

xlr8r
11-07-2015, 03:42 PM
More than likely the clear coat on the wheels is coming loose, caused by who knows what. Stripping, polishing and resealing is what`s needed in my opinion.

XxBoostinxX
11-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone. Very humid weather here. Just talked to my close friend who owns a body shop / detailing company with a few locations. He says that probably the only way to fix this is by going through a professional polishing and perhaps re-lathing job. Opinions?

Refinishing is probably your only choice. Do you have an Alloy Wheel Repair company in your area?

Another option is just buying a new wheel.

Accumulator
11-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Yeah, send `em out for refinishing and use somebody who`ll do a good job.

GearHead_1
11-08-2015, 02:42 PM
You`ll be able to have that wheel refinished cheaper than buying a NEW OE wheel. They can make it so that you`d be hard pressed not to know it isn`t new. If you`d ever considered going aftermarket, now is the time to look at a set.

Swanicyouth
11-08-2015, 03:11 PM
I`d send those wheels out to Wheel Collision Center. But, I wouldn`t get them clear coated on bare aluminum.

I`d get them powder coated hyper silver. For whatever reason, powder coating sticks better to aluminum compared to clear coat over bare aluminum IMHO. Hyper silver is a really nice color.

I have wheels they did 5 yrs ago that still look brand new. It will cost about $900 + shipping.

For $900, any aftermarket wheels you buy will be junk IMHO.

Accumulator
11-09-2015, 12:09 PM
I`d send those wheels out to Wheel Collision Center. But, I wouldn`t get them clear coated on bare aluminum.

I`d get them powder coated hyper silver..

That`s what I`d do too.