PDA

View Full Version : Cquartz Dlux peeling

Pages : [1] 2 3

usernameunknown
10-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Like the topic states, I applied Cquartz Dlux on some textured pieces on my F150 a couple months ago and now it looks to be peeling off(lil clear flakes). Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how to remove it and start over,?......I`ve tried APC/MF, Dawn/mr clean sponge and mild to aggressive polish to no avail....sorry for the crappy pic its a lil dark outside

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28888&stc=1

Paintxpert
10-11-2015, 07:50 PM
That looks to be the cowel area right? I stripped and painted these for a client at the beginning of the Summer. Used black Satin rustoleum. Worked like a charm. Clean thoroughly with alcohol. If your not handy with a spray can then don`t try it. You will make a mess. I have been painting plastic trim for around 30 years. Its a great money maker! I charge 135.00 to paint the cowel trim. Chevys have an over abundance of plastic on their trucks also. When painting plastic, its all about the prep. Several light coats to avoid runs is the rule of thumb. Good luck!

allenk4
10-11-2015, 08:09 PM
What prep was done before application of DLUX?

usernameunknown
10-11-2015, 08:49 PM
What prep was done before application of DLUX?

Cleaned with Meg APC and left to dry over night, then wiped down with IPA prior to applying Dlux. I`ve used Dlux before with great results

Mike lambert
10-11-2015, 08:57 PM
I have had this happen a few times, scrubbed with apc and a mild scuff pad, washed and wiped with Gyeon prep. Put Gyeon trim on and after almost a year no problems.

RaysWay
10-11-2015, 09:14 PM
That looks really strange and I`ve never seen that before. Was the surface perfectly clean before it was applied? It looks almost like polish residue on the triim, the rubber seal to the right, and the glass? Any way we can get more and better pics with better lighting when the trim is dry?

usernameunknown
10-11-2015, 09:24 PM
I`ll snap more pics in the am

Detail Impressions
10-11-2015, 09:53 PM
For me common sense, The coating did not bond in spots of the plastic.
I say maybe something is embedded in the plastic in certain areas that is interfering with bonding.
If the product Dlux was bad the entire surface would have lifted.

This is just my thinking, surely it does not make it correct...

Oldfordisbetter
10-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Im with Vega and Detail Impressions, the plastic looks like it has polish/wax residue on it.

Cooter
10-11-2015, 10:05 PM
He said he tried using polish to remove it. Thats probably where the residue came from.

RaysWay
10-11-2015, 10:15 PM
He said he tried using polish to remove it. Thats probably where the residue came from.

Ah right, then the title is misleading. It should say "picture of wet trim after attempting to remove coating". I hope he has a picture of the flaking trim before he polished it. Otherwise we`re working with tampered evidence.

Cooter
10-11-2015, 10:28 PM
A before pic would be real nice!

Swanicyouth
10-12-2015, 07:05 AM
Use Tuff Shine tire cleaner to clean plastics prior to DLux. It has ingredients targeted to remove solvent type dressings out of tires. It`s really the only thing I`ve found to strip plastic 100%.

Of course, you may have to use some elbow grease and a stiff brush. But, it works much better than any APC for this task.

usernameunknown
10-12-2015, 06:19 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.......ordered Tuf shine tire cleaner, gonna give that a try. I`ve used CQuartz several times in the past with great results, this is the first time I`ve seen this. here are some better pics of my problem

things I`ve tried:
-aggressive clay bar
-aggressive polish
-APC and MF
-Dawn and Mr clean sponge

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28903&stc=1
http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28904&stc=1
http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28905&stc=1

The Guz
10-12-2015, 06:36 PM
Have you tried a bristled brush to get in the texture?