PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Opti-Glass Coating Review

pheerix
10-07-2015, 04:26 PM
I was fortunate enough to win the Opti-Glass kit from a forum giveaway recently so I`m giving my review. Thanks again to Paul for the giveaway.

Product description from Autopia:

Optimum Opti-Glass Coating is an advanced resin coating that forms a semi-permanent film over your windshield and exterior glass. Optimum Opti-Glass Coating was engineered by the famous Dr. David Ghodoussi to work specifically on glass, providing exceptional water beading and sheeting while preventing road film and oil from sticking. The result is clear vision in all weather conditions. The advanced resin layer is impervious to abrasion; not even repeated windshield wiper use will lessen the effectiveness of Optimum Opti-Glass Coating.

Optimum Opti-Glass Coating will cause water to bead into tiny droplets and run off the surface, even at low speeds. You will appreciate the improved visibility during adverse weather and rainstorms. Optimum Opti-Glass Coating also improves your visibility when the sun is shining. The resin coating prevents common road contamination, such as road oil and bug splatter from sticking, so your windows clean easily. Optimum Opti-Glass Coating will last a minimum of one year and the application is so easy you will have no excuse for not having perfect vision all of the time!

Directions:

Application of Optimum Opti-Glass Coating is easy! Wash your windshield and exterior glass thoroughly to remove any lose dirt or soiling. Use the Optimum Opti-Eraser with diluted Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine to deep clean the glass and remove any soiling, water spots, and road oil. If you are using a different cleaning system wipe the paint with diluted isopropyl alcohol; if you are using the Opti-Eraser system with Optimum No Rinse & Shine as a lubricant you can apply Optimum Opti-Glass directly over the surface.

Wipe a small amount of Optimum Opti-Glass Coating over the glass in overlapping passes using a poly foam applicator or Optimum Opti Dual Pro Applicator. Make sure that the coverage is even and complete. Allow to dry for 2 minutes then buff away residues using a soft microfiber towel such as a Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel. The surface can be exposed to water in as little as 30 minutes but cleaning with chemicals or pressure should be avoided for 24 hours.

Tools/Materials used:

ONR Wash and Wax
Optimum Opti-Clean
Optimum Opti-Eraser
35% IPA solution
Optimum Opti-Glass Coating
Included foam applicator
Various MF towels

Process:

I didn`t take pictures of the prep. I`m sure everyone knows what a rinseless wash and clay barring looks like.

1. Rinseless wash with ONRWW

2. Decon using Opti-Clean and Opti-Eraser. I didn`t polish the glass because the car is relatively new. I could have used ONR at QD solution but I had Opti-Clean handy already. Wiped off residue with a waffle weave MF.

3. 35% IPA wipedown. I used 35% because it was easier to do the dilution, half 70% IPA and half DI water. Did multiple passes to ensure all waxes and oils were removed. Dried with a clean waffle weave MF.

4. Time for coating. Temperature conditions: 66 degrees F. 82% humidity.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/6c52fa7ab7ddd39f5c57bda5a691d2e0.jpg

I used the included foam applicator. I spritzed the coating directly on to the applicator then applied. 2-3 spritzes per half windshield and whole side window. Application was very easy. Made small circular motions with light pressure. If I felt the pad sticking to the glass, I just added a spritz or two and kept going.

Leaving it to dry for 2 minutes. I probably used more product than necessary. I ended up a hazy film while drying.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/69eae5fc0fa13297aa661f48bd71cc58.jpg

After 2 minutes, proceeded to buff with a clean MF towel. Initially there is a little friction when buffing but with more buffing the surface gives way to a very slick feeling like just waxed. A little elbow grease was required but nothing like some of the reviews I`ve read that required a lot of buffing and elbow grease.

After buffing. Streak and residue free.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/ac7eb923396cf4eb15b0d3e716deb5b7.jpg

Other half of windshield.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/eaa0016cee40be138e92995c04bdb314.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/f97df244c03c30cdf3b77c7054647a2d.jpg

This was my first time using any kind of coating so I was a bit intimidated and really took my time to get it right but I have to say it was really easy. Pretty much just like waxing paint. Prep work took more time than the actual coating. Actual coating time was probably 30 minutes. Very happy with the results. Can`t comment on water beading and durability yet. Who knows when it`ll rain next here. Also used very little product. I probably have enough for at least 10 more applications so while it is $80 I think it is good value. Anyway I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a glass coating! Thanks for reading.

Oh I almost forgot! At the end for the heck of it I slathered the applicator on my iPhone, let it dry and buffed off with no prep work. Well it turned out pretty good! The screen has that new slick feeling and it`s been holding up today at least. So Opti-Glass also doubles as a screen coating so you don`t have to buy those gimmicky products at mall kiosks.