PDA

View Full Version : Fender wells

Pages : [1] 2 3

Don Porter
10-07-2015, 11:47 AM
After I`ve finished detailing a vehicle, the last thing I try and do is spray and wipe down inside the fender wells. The product I`ve been using for several years is Griot`s Garage undercarriage spray. I spray it on then wipe it down to eliminate streaks. Works very well and classes up the vehicle. I`m wondering if there is other products that do the same? I haven`t seen any!

ShawnF350
10-07-2015, 11:52 AM
After I used up my GG undercarriage spray, I started using my Black Magic Tire Wet.
I use water based tire dressings now so reassigned it to the wheel wells.
Cheap at BJs.

Ronkh
10-07-2015, 12:00 PM
I use Poorboys world bold n brite spray

EXPDetailing
10-07-2015, 12:25 PM
CG`s Bare Bones, but one day, I would like to coat mine in Dlux like Swanicyouth did.

RaysWay
10-07-2015, 12:28 PM
CG`s Bare Bones, but one day, I would like to coat mine in Dlux like Swanicyouth did.

+1 on Bare Bones. That`s what I use.

PA DETAILER
10-07-2015, 12:38 PM
MEGS HYPER DRESSING 4:1 All i use. Spray it on and walk away. Leaves a perfect finish under there. No applicators or wiping it.

donbeezy
10-07-2015, 12:51 PM
MEGS HYPER DRESSING 4:1 All i use. Spray it on and walk away. Leaves a perfect finish under there. No applicators or wiping it.

what type of sprayer are you using? ive tried different kinds but nothing puts out a nice even spray mist for me

bswombaugh
10-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Thats exactly what I use. Cheap and looks great when it dries.

Accumulator
10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
I quit using the GG Undercarriage Spray as it`s just too slimy/messy for me and I suspect it has a lot of silicones in it. I can`t imagine spraying stuff that doesn`t get buffed into areas like that lest it find its way to places where I don`t want it and/or there be areas that are unevenly treated. So I just clean/dry and prep/LSP them the labor-intensive way like the rest of the vehicle, though on the Tahoe I usually only do it to the same standard as the rest of the undercarriage.

Twice each year I pull the wheels off and do things properly. The rest of the time I just use floorjacks (and stands) to raise things up for access. Once these areas are properly cleaned up (painted and metal bits polished and sealed, trim/plastic clean and perhaps sealed) it`s easy to keep them nice; shampoo mix with BHBs/mitts to clean and a spraywax as drying aid will usually suffice for a quick maintenance wash. Hey, it`s up on stands to do the undercarriage anyhow.

The only big PIA is the initial cleanup if a vehicle has been neglected for a while. I spent *many* hours per well cleaning up the `93 Audi, which had twenty-some years of neglect to take care of, but now it`s easy to keep it nice. Just part of that "first and last hours of the wash are spent on the undercarriage and engine compartment".

Stokdgs
10-07-2015, 01:02 PM
I want something to look good and last...
A lot of the products listed absolutely look great - but they are only going to last until it gets wet under there...
Then the Client has the ugly fender liner look again..

In the C/G line, their Bare Bones does work easily, quickly, yes, its oily, but it will go longer than the water based products..

The only other product that C/G makes that really works well and lasts a long time is their big spray can of Back to Black, formerly Fade to Black..

And of course, the much higher priced products mentioned, that would require the wheels to be removed to apply perfectly...
DanF

Accumulator
10-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Stokdgs- That whole "how long it lasts under those conditions" factor is why I just go ahead and polish (or AIO) and then FK1000P the painted bits and at least use something like UQW or FastFinish on the black plastic. My wife once observed how nice those areas stay on the Tahoe even after driving in bad weather, that was a clue that I was on the right track :D Sorta surprises me how well that FastFinish holds up, especially after numerous uses of the stuff (it must build up/"layer"/something..)..I mean, it`s "just a QD" so I never expected that things would stay so nice.

Oh..and doing some such plastic areas on the `93 Audi today, I discovered that you can top KAIO with UTTG+. The KAIO was a good way to clean the areas in question and I`m hoping the UTTG+ provides a little durability.

jmsc
10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
I use CD-2 Engine Detailer. I bought 6 cans 1 year ago before it went (I think) DISC. It may be under the Turtle Wax name. Its a non-messy, no wiping SOWA product. Just prep it. Lasts a few months, gives the WW`s a black look and if you keep up with it, the cleanup and re-application becomes easy.

Pats300zx
10-07-2015, 03:43 PM

Love this stuff for wheel wells. So economical.

davidc
10-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Just to be different I used Collinite 476S 4 Months ago. A wipe with a cloth and they are clean and black again.

Dave

Ronkh
10-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I use CD-2 Engine Detailer. I bought 6 cans 1 year ago before it went (I think) DISC. It may be under the Turtle Wax name. Its a non-messy, no wiping SOWA product. Just prep it. Lasts a few months, gives the WW`s a black look and if you keep up with it, the cleanup and re-application becomes easy.

I found some cans of cd2 at the auto parts store next to ballys on new britian ave (not the one across the street the one on same side)