PDA

View Full Version : swirl and scratch removal product

Timbo
10-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone,

If I want to remove some swirls and scratches from my sons Toyota Tacoma truck would Menzerna FG 400 be a good product to start off with? I would be a using a Griotts machine and I assume an orange pad from lake country?

Thanks,

jrock645
10-05-2015, 05:46 PM
You might not need something that heavy duty. FG400 is as about as aggressive as it gets. How heavy are these swirls?

Detail Impressions
10-05-2015, 05:55 PM
Toyota`s paint is a bit on the soft side.
What is the truck`s color?
Here`s link to give you an idea of the different polish/cut:
Menzerna Polishing Compounds automotive polish and swirl free solutions (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/menzerna-polishes.html)

A few pictures would help us get a better idea, for suggestions to help you.

Timbo
10-05-2015, 06:06 PM
The swirls aren`t that heavy....its a grey Toyota Tacoma 2011.....so you think the FG400 is on the aggressive side?

Thanks

Timbo
10-05-2015, 06:08 PM
So if looking at that scale the PF 2500 would be a medium cut....better fit? If so which pad would you use?

jrock645
10-05-2015, 06:21 PM
I had great results with WG total swirl remover- which I think is very similar to 2500- with the cyan hydro tech pad, which is a heavy polishing pad but not a really deep cutting pad.

Justins00ss
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Pf2500 is a great choice with a orange pad.

Stokdgs
10-05-2015, 11:10 PM
Timbo,
Whatever you decide to use, you will need several pads, and a good pad cleaner to start..

How much experience do you have using the machine ?

I would opt for the 5" backing plate and 5-1/4" pads - they are much easier to control and they will work out better, I promise..
Bigger pads take much more control and its just not worth it if you are new to all of this..

The Menzerna line of compounds is proven and have been around for decades..
There are newer compounds from newer companies out also, that are apparently doing very well in terms of use and results too..

The Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads in Cyan color are unbeatable in correcting and finishing down really, really, good... I have been using them and wearing them out for years on a Makita 9227C rotary..

After you get the truck corrected and looking great, what are your plans to keep it that way ? What are you going to put on the paint to protect it and keep it looking good ?

Dan F

Timbo
10-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Hi Dan,

ok stupid question. I have the Griotts polisher. Do I need to get a backing plate?? I also plan to use the blackfire Polish and then wax it using the poorboys wax. I also just used the Hydro 02 this weekend as a finisher. Live in Seattle so we will see how it works.

Detail Impressions
10-06-2015, 06:44 AM
5" backing plate and 5-1/4" pads if you change from the factory backing plate that uses 6" pads. So yes if you go the 5.25/5.5 pads.

trashmanssd
10-06-2015, 06:52 AM
Hi Dan,

ok stupid question. I have the Griotts polisher. Do I need to get a backing plate?? I also plan to use the blackfire Polish and then wax it using the poorboys wax. I also just used the Hydro 02 this weekend as a finisher. Live in Seattle so we will see how it works.

Your Groits (if its GG6) came with a 6" backing plate as Stokdgs said you want take that off and go to a 5" plate to use 5.5" pads they work easier and faster.
Link: Dual Action Flexible 5 inch Backing Plate (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/da-5in-backing-plate.html#.VhO1RvlViko)

jrock645
10-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Not her suggestion: consider trying the HD polishes. Very user friendly- no dust, no sling, long work time, and wipes away very easily. Doesn`t require using very much and there is no need to prime the pad. I`m fairly new to this, but HD is now my go to for compound and polish, just because of how easy they are to use- no fuss at all. There`s some far more experienced guys around here that have said the same sorta thing.

Stokdgs
10-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Hi Dan,

Yes as has already been said, it would be easier to get the smaller backing plate and then the correct sized pads for it...
The Griots machine is great and has been around for at least a decade or more and the warranty if they still have it is the best..
You have great products to finish it, just know that the wax will not be lasting very long before it will need to be re-applied if you want to keep the finish protected..

I just moved from your neck of the woods, (Bellevue, and Issaquah), so I know what you are getting weather-wise.. :)
There are still some good days between rain, and you will be fine...
Good luck - you got this...
Dan F

Timbo
10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks Dan.....we have had a good run weather wise...getting ready for the wet.

rlmccarty2000
10-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Make sure you do a test spot with whatever polish you decide on. Since it is grey and a 2011 the Menz 400 with a Menz 4000 (3800) combination works well.