PDA

View Full Version : So... Does this stuff make sense?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jrock645
09-16-2015, 10:36 PM
I work with a guy that has been detailing for a really long time. Like 25 years. Only uses a rotary, super old school. Literally doesn`t know what a DA is.

Hes is giving me tips about how to use my new 3403 and says always hold the pad at an angle against the paint, never hold it flat.

He will buff out and doa full interior detail with qtips in the vents and whatnot for our coworkers for like $60. Takes him like 7 hours.

One step polishes all cars with the rotary.

Swears up and down that the best thing to wash a car with is just warm water- no soap.

It all seems ludicrous to me. Meanwhile, I`m trying to get a few paid details and I can`t because this guy is doing them basically for free. For a mid size car, I won`t do a one step with HD speed, wheels, windows and basic interior wipe for less than $100. I work plenty and while I like detailing and enjoy it, it`s not easy work and I won`t do it unless it`s worth my while.

EXPDetailing
09-16-2015, 11:08 PM
It all sounded interesting until I read: " Swears up and down that the best thing to wash a car with is just warm water- no soap." I wonder if this guy applies the same logic to his showering and laundering?

allenk4
09-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Atlanta is a large city

Let him have all the $60 Details he wants

XxBoostinxX
09-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Lol. Poor guy. I would love to see what his work looked like. But tell him to keep it up. He is keeping a bunch of us in business.

I won`t EVER polish a car for $60. Nope, no way. That just makes me sore thinking about it.

jrock645
09-17-2015, 12:42 AM
Glad I`m not crazy.

The Driver
09-17-2015, 06:12 AM
He said buff at angle never flat....

Last time I checked we all want the most direct contact an coverage possible when polishing. The only time I angle aka feather is with a da to help avoid stalls. A 3403 an 3401 are both force driven so this logic is just, well... You get it.

See if he uses clay bar, an how hologrammed are the paints when he`s done destroying them. Also the fact he doesn`t know what a DA is, an he`s been doing this 25 years is quite alarming.

I won`t do a one stepper for less then 350. Not worth my time, trust me cheap you pay twice.

wdmaccord
09-17-2015, 07:58 AM
So these are co-workers? So you see their cars on a daily basis in your parking lot? What I would do is start looking for holograms on these guys cars a week or so after this guys detail. Then point it out and tell them what it causing it. Then let them know if they truly want the paint corrected so that stuff doesn`t reappear after a couple weeks, then they need to let you fix it. Start with the ones you know well, not the strangers. You might end up working yourself up a decent business as word gets around.

JVD
09-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Bring some IPA and strip the paint once he`s done.

See what it looks like.

jrock645
09-17-2015, 09:04 AM
He said buff at angle never flat....

Last time I checked we all want the most direct contact an coverage possible when polishing. The only time I angle aka feather is with a da to help avoid stalls. A 3403 an 3401 are both force driven so this logic is just, well... You get it.

See if he uses clay bar, an how hologrammed are the paints when he`s done destroying them. Also the fact he doesn`t know what a DA is, an he`s been doing this 25 years is quite alarming.

I won`t do a one stepper for less then 350. Not worth my time, trust me cheap you pay twice.

He he says crazy things about clay, too. He says it takes at least 2 hours to clay a car. I get maybe a car in really bad shape but as the norm, at least 2 hours? I was like huh...

Then get this... He says you can`t clay a whole car and then go back and wash it. Says the clay will leave some residue that you`ll never get off- "you`ll have to sandblast it off."

Migue
09-17-2015, 09:09 AM
wow!!!

JustJesus
09-17-2015, 11:05 AM
I work with a guy that has been detailing for a really long time.

He will... detail ... for our coworkers for like $60.

Question for you, jrock: Since you work with him, and the coworkers, how do those cars turn out?

I can see how people would easily pay 60$ for a detail if they are happy with the outcome.

jrock645
09-17-2015, 11:42 AM
Well the problem is their cars look better... And these people dont have a reference point or an understanding that just because its better doesnt mean it looks good by real detailing standards. The ones ive seen look ok but not impressive. He gets people with all the interior cleaning.

mnehls86
09-17-2015, 11:44 AM
As painful as all this is to read I am sadly not surprised. I was at Walmart not too long ago picking up some Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner when a lady employee came up to me on the aisle and said "there was an expert car guy in here a few days ago and told me all this car wash soap is junk and expensive and to use laundry detergent instead".

mnehls86
09-17-2015, 11:57 AM
I wonder how many people get info from articles like this?

13 Weird Tricks to Clean Your Car (http://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/13-weird-tricks-to-clean-your-car/)

Use Shampoo, Baking Soda, and Water to Fully Clean Your Car (http://lifehacker.com/5798940/use-shampoo-baking-soda-and-water-to-fully-clean-your-car)

vkXsYynhu5Y

JustJesus
09-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Well the problem is their cars look better... Yeah, that seems about right then. The cars look better at a price they are willing to pay, and just as important, a price HE is willing to accept. You and I won`t be willing to do *that* much work for 60$, but he is. So we would lose business to him, and that`s okay. We just need to focus and market ourselves to those willing to pay for what *we* offer!

I was at Walmart and [the lady] said "there was an expert car guy in here a few days ago and told me all this car wash soap is junk and expensive..." That`s surprising! I consider those car wash soaps (Megs, Mothers, Armor All (especially)) to be VERY inexpensive. 64 oz of Armor All Wash & Wax for under 5 bucks!!