PDA

View Full Version : Less maring with a foam gun

Pages : [1] 2

jdoria
05-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Are those with foam guns noticing less paint marring since they started using them?

GregCavi
05-14-2006, 08:25 PM
I will say yes. However, there is more to it than just spraying the foam and spreading it with your mitt. For me its just another tool I use in a very extensive wash regimen. Here is how I do it.

-Pressure Wash entire car
-Foam entire car (Presoak)
-Soak mitt in soap bucket
-Foam up up half of door or half of hood, use soapy mitt to wash while shooting foam at the mitt, or slightly above if doing a vertical panel.
-After doing a small portion, thoroughly agitate mitt, with grit guard in rinse bucket.
-Go back to wash bucket and repeat.

Thats how I do it, and I have found it gives me less marring that a plain bucket wash, also my dedication to 2 buckets, small areas of washing, and use or pressure washer, limits the marring I receive.

Is it worth it? I would say absolutly, and hey, it looks cool!

Greg

jdoria
05-14-2006, 08:54 PM
I am noticing marring on my black car. The type that will require polishing a bit stronger than say SSR 1. I use the 2 bucket method and genuine sheepskins. I am not picking up debris from anywhere, I do however think my waffle weaves are getting a little coarse.

GregCavi
05-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Things to try

- I use at least 3 mitts per wash. Work from the top down.

- Dab with you WW towels, not drag.

- Add some QD to your drying process, Spray on the panel, then dab.

Greg

mgm2003
05-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Are those with foam guns noticing less paint marring since they started using them?

I didn`t even scroll down to see what others said....

I`ve noticed a big difference, and a few months later, I`m still using it. I held off on a foam gun for several months to see if it was `hype`, but IMO it`s not. It has been a very effective tool.

JaredPointer
05-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Yes, I feel that adding the use of a foam gun to my wash regimen decreased the amount of marring I see. That said, a foam gun alone won`t magically reduce marring on it`s own. It is one part of an ever-evolving process.

joyriide1113
05-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Which is why it takes me 60 minutes to simply finsih washing my car, let alone drying and the following OCD rituals.

jdoria
05-15-2006, 01:41 PM
I ended up using the PC and Menzerna FPII to get the marring out and restore the paint to the condition I prefer. I just ordered a Foam Gun, will be here Wednesday. I look forward to using it.

Mr. Clean
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Looks like I`m the one swimming against the current :) I have not experienced any less (or more) marring while using the foam gun. It also hasn`t reduced my washing time. That said, I continue to use it with each wash as I believe it to be a worthwhile tool and don`t regret my purchase.

I use a similar procedure as noted by other users, that is integrating the use of the foam gun with a multi bucket wash; pre-soaking panels with the foam gun.

ronmart
05-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Okay, newbie alert - I know nothing about foam guns. Which ones are you guys using? Where can they be purchased? What product do you use to make the foam?

jdoria
05-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Foam gun 1st wash.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/justindoria/06%20Saab/driver-fender.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/justindoria/06%20Saab/pass14close.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j246/justindoria/06%20Saab/ddoor.jpg

I`m sold. The wash was easy. I soaped up the rear of the car and then moved the sheepskin mitt with the foam gun over the paint. Looks good to me.

Deanski
05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Nice pics!

I also dry with a hand held leaf blower to whip-off water before it has a chance to spot on my black finish. Final wipe with MF towels. Sure does get all the water out of the cracks! It`s always after you move the car and more water finds its way out. WIth the blower and MF, very little is left to creep out.

I may have to get a foam gun as black is such a pain to wash. With all this pollen, I have to wash it often. Porsche paint is also soft as hell to make matters worse.

Deanski

ronmart
05-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Nice pics!

I also dry with a hand held leaf blower to whip-off water before it has a chance to spot on my black finish. Final wipe with MF towels. Sure does get all the water out of the cracks! It`s always after you move the car and more water finds its way out. WIth the blower and MF, very little is left to creep out.

I may have to get a foam gun as black is such a pain to wash. With all this pollen, I have to wash it often. Porsche paint is also soft as hell to make matters worse.

Deanski

Hey Deanski :D

Let me know if you end up getting one and what you decide on. I`ll probably do the same because I`m in the same boat as you with two dark vehicle that seem to be covered in pollen about the time I`m done with them.

Deanski
05-25-2006, 05:43 AM
Hey Deanski :D

Let me know if you end up getting one and what you decide on. I`ll probably do the same because I`m in the same boat as you with two dark vehicle that seem to be covered in pollen about the time I`m done with them.

Doesn`t it just piss you off? :mad: After all the work, pollen just leaps back on it within minutes. I just washed the car and after blow drying it and wiping it dry more pollen started to drop on it right then! It was a rush to get it dry, clean and into the garage before it turned green from all this pollen.

I`ll most likely get one of the foam guns. Sure can`t hurt. Wonder which soap will work best in "floating" off any dirt/dust, pollen etc?

As soon as I get it, I`ll update the thread. It`s been busy. Geez I even have Z5 Pro and never got a changce to test it on the Porsche.

Deanski

ronmart
05-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Doesn`t it just piss you off? :mad: After all the work, pollen just leaps back on it within minutes. I just washed the car and after blow drying it and wiping it dry more pollen started to drop on it right then! It was a rush to get it dry, clean and into the garage before it turned green from all this pollen.

Hell yes, although the last time it happened I remembered your power blower suggestion for the water and tried it for the pollen. It helped get rid of most of it.

The other day I was putting the final touches on my car when I went in my garage to get something. During that time the neighbors landscaper fired up the power blower and blew fresh grass clippings all over my car. I would have cursed him out, but I knew it was useless beacuse he doesn`t understand English! Once again, the power blower saved the day, but that still urks me even now.

I`ll most likely get one of the foam guns. Sure can`t hurt. Wonder which soap will work best in "floating" off any dirt/dust, pollen etc?

As soon as I get it, I`ll update the thread. It`s been busy. Geez I even have Z5 Pro and never got a changce to test it on the Porsche.
Deanski

Some people have said SSS, but I`m going to use try it with Groits Car Wash. That stuff is the best I`ve ever used and it smells good too.