PDA

View Full Version : Paint brushes?

Rain_Maker
09-05-2015, 04:59 PM
I`ve been thinking about getting some brushes to help with agitating smaller areas such as jams and wheels. I bought a brush for wheels from advanced auto that sold for use on paint. No way I plan on using it for that but I though it might work for wheels since it has feathered bristles. I`m wondering though if I can go down to the hardware store and buy some paint brushes to really get into the lug nuts and crevices of the vehicle. Are the bristles going to do more harm than good though?

Mudman
09-05-2015, 05:20 PM
I did the same thing. Between the "dedicated" brushes from AG and a cheap chip brush from a hardware store- I can`t tell a difference. Other than shape and amount of bristles per brush. You can also buy cheap nylon bristle brushes, Walmart has a 7pc kit for just under $7. Granted these were shaped for painting- so it might not be as convenient as a large round brush.

Stokdgs
09-05-2015, 05:20 PM
I dont think they will make a paint brush shaped like this one here at this store - 1-inch Round Natural Detail Brush (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mbm-br-15.html)
This will get in between those lug nuts and in the wells where they go pretty good..

There are other brushes like this with long wooden handles and longer bristles of different media that will work well too..
A good cleaner sprayed in there first or a pressure washer after the cleaner spray will always work great too..
DanF

Rain_Maker
09-05-2015, 05:25 PM
The one you linked is the only one I`ve considered buying because of its shape. I`m not sure on what bristle material is best or if it really makes a difference. I just can`t seem to justify paying large amounts of money for a single brush when I can go to the hardware store and potentially grab something easier and cheaper

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mudman
09-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Get two 1`` brushes and tape them together. If your not wanting to pay the price difference, then your only choice is being creative.

Stokdgs
09-05-2015, 05:59 PM
The Natural bristle brushes are softer bristles but will not scratch as easily if at all..
There are also the same round brush with black synthetic bristles that will hold their shape better and clean better, but might scratch..
In all the years I have cleaned wheels, cannot remember scratching those areas between the lug nut holes or around there anyway..
Just be sure to have already pre-rinsed the wheel, perhaps sprayed a cleaner all over those areas, let it dwell and it may do all the work for you, as it has for me.

The other brushes for cleaning the areas between the spaces of the wheel or even in the smaller areas are called wheel woolies and they come in 3 sizes, sold here..

Or, the SpeedMaster brushes, a long version that really holds a soap mixture and cleans the entire inner wheel really well.. You just have to be sure that when you pull it back toward you, you get out of the way because the bristles will want to splash the dirty soap back towards you, so pull it slowly and away from you if possible..
Dan F

Accumulator
09-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Natural bristles also generally clean up well.

If you use a paint brush with a metal ferrule, I`d tape it up or something so it can`t cause scratches.

Whatever you use, CD-test it to make sure it won`t mar autopaint and retest frequently as bristles *do* wear. (Yeah, the finish on wheels is generally harder than regular autopaint, but still...)

And note that flagged bristles eventually wear down and then the brush is a scratch-machine. No synthetic-bristle brushes for *my* wheels, though I do use them for some undercarriage surfaces.

I like the Wheel Woolies better than I expected to, but they still leave some areas dirty so you gotta get in there with a little mitt/sponge.

I like those Speedmaster/EZ/etc. brushes for getting into some tight areas on the undercarriage, but not so much for wheel barrels. And as with the Wheel Woolies, you still gotta get in there with something small to do the backsides of the spokes anyhow.

MooreImpressive
09-06-2015, 11:09 AM
we use paint brushes a lot. especially for final dusting of dash/interior pieces. we use the round brushes for lug nuts and such, but i suppose the right sized regular paint brush would work well, too. certainly, the better (more $$) brush you buy, the MUCH longer it lasts. dont get a $1 brush, get a $10 professional brush.

rdorman
09-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I dont think they will make a paint brush shaped like this one here at this store - 1-inch Round Natural Detail Brush (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mbm-br-15.html)
This will get in between those lug nuts and in the wells where they go pretty good..

There are other brushes like this with long wooden handles and longer bristles of different media that will work well too..
A good cleaner sprayed in there first or a pressure washer after the cleaner spray will always work great too..
DanF

Stippling brushes from a local art store. Various fibers. I have a few I use on interior work to get down in the crevices.

Accumulator
09-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Long bristles are also great (I`d go so far as to say "required") for getting into deep crevices when doing a regular wash too. I simply couldn`t get to some areas without them.

Pats300zx
09-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Crafts stores like AC Moore and Michaels have a great selection of brushes. You would be amazed at the different sizes and types you can get at very reasonable prices.

JohnZ3MC
09-08-2015, 01:15 PM
A 1.5 inch bristle sash brush is always in my wheel cleaning bucket and on my tool tray. The sash brush is the angled one and it`s more versatile than the normal paintbrush. It`s the perfect brush when the wheel woolies or EZ/Daytona aren`t.