PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Truck - Musty Interior

skwidd
09-05-2015, 12:09 AM
My neighbor has a Chevy full sized pickup, maybe a 2013 or 2014. He says when he first turns the A/C or heater on, it has a musty smell. He compared it to smelly feet.

According to my neighbor, water gets into, and trapped in, the fresh air intake for the HVAC. This causes mold/mildew to develop, which results in the musty smell when he firsts turns on the HVAC. This is a design defect in the vehicle (according to my neighbor`s research). Also, there is no cabin filter for him to change.

The Chevy dealership recommended a product that he spray in the fresh air intake that kills the mold/mildew and freshens up the HVAC. I forgot to get the name of the product, but it comes in an aerosol can and instructs the user to spray it into the HVAC fresh air intake while the HVAC is running at maximum, and then run the HVAC for 4 minutes with the doors open to air out the vehicle.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem and how have you resolved the issue?

Thanks.

65chevy
09-05-2015, 04:42 PM
may be some thing by BG products

Stokdgs
09-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Is the A/C drain hose at the bottom of the vehicle open so the moisture the A/C removes from the car can drain out ?

I have solved dozens of musty smells in german cars with a product from Einszett ( 1-Z) called Klima-Klean..
It was a can that sprayed a foam through a long tube that is supplied, into the main A/C Intake with all the vents open, let it sit awhile so the foam goes down there and cleans the a/c condenser, then you start it up with the system running full blast for awhile and its all gone..

It cleans all the gunk that sometimes builds up on these condensers, and can hamper their efficiency while smelling like musty, dirty, socks, etc...

They later came out with another can that is just like an aerosol bomb can that you turn on with the a/c on and let it run awhile..

I only have experiences with the foam one and it really works great..
Good luck with this -
Dan F

skwidd
09-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks. Gave him the info you guys posted. Let`s see what happens.