PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Trucks- Question

JustJesus
09-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Sooooo, what do people do about the truck beds on pick-up trucks?

Do people actually detail the insides of these truck beds? If so, what method are people using?

Thanks ! !

Tpr1634
09-03-2015, 11:39 AM
I use undercarriage spray on the sides of my bed liner.

JustJesus
09-03-2015, 11:52 AM
I use undercarriage spray on the sides of my bed liner.

any particular type? is it spray on, wipe of with MF towel? I haven`t done any truck beds OR undercarriages!

txb4z
09-03-2015, 12:12 PM
I usually just rinse mine out with a pressure washer. If it`s really dirty I will use the long brush thing at the coin op to scrub the bed liner then rinse.

woodsman
09-03-2015, 01:17 PM
It will depend on if the bed is painted / condition of paint / use of truck. Spray on liner or plastic liner etc...

New truck with painted bed not used to haul gravel gets the same treatment as the hood. Wash, clay, polish, seal / wax. (its a PIA but man does it look nice when done.)

Rugged sprayed on liner like rhino liners are the toughest and I was never happy with the results. Did not like it to look greasy. but did not like it to look dusty.

Plastic bed liners I treat like other exterior plastic.

Maintenance will depend on if it is covered, carpeted bed mat used etc... on a new painted bed once the hard part is over spray and wipe products work easy to maintain.

Stokdgs
09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
So, you want to do the Bed - First - and get all the water, overspray, dirty soap, etc., rinsed out of the bed and out of the way..

While you are up in there, you can clean between the bed and the back of the cab, at least 1/3 or more of the truck roof, and might as well take a claybar up there or whatever you use and do that to the top and back of the cab while you are there... Dont forget to hit that back glass if its really dirty as most are since the air blows back toward the back of the truck bed when in motion..

Consolidate as many jobs as you can when you are up there if possible, and it will always be easier later..

I always wash the bed from the front closest to the truck cab back to the rear and out, using big brushes, brooms, pressure washer, and plenty of soap..

No one expects a Detailer to polish out a painted, dirty, nasty, scratched from loads of rocks, etc., bed, and are all happy if its just cleaned out really well and looks presentable, depending on the media on the bed and bed sides, back of tailgate, etc...
Dan F

JustJesus
09-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Thank you, Gentlemen.

Still don`t know what I`ll be dealing with, as I`ll be looking at the truck most likely on Monday. The truck owner is a referral from another "client" of mine. He saw the work I was doing on the 76 Porsche and wants me to come look at his work truck as well as his BMW.

The tips from you guys will help me assess what`s needed, based on the owner`s wants, and help me formulate a plan.

Thanks a bunch!

RaskyR1
09-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Back when I did high volume we would get the occasional farm truck full of mud, rocks, hay, ect....

We would shovel & sweep out what we could right into the dumpster and then if it had rear glass that opened up we would spray out the bed with a pressure washer from inside the cab. It helped to jack up the front too so the water would run out. Then spray with APC and wash using sponge or brush it it had a liner/coating.

I don`t miss those day! :D

MiVor
09-04-2015, 04:14 PM
My truck has a plastic bed liner, a tonnaeu cover with bulkhead and tailgate seals, it stays clean...unless I load dirty stuff. If so, I`ll just pressure wash it out and I have yet to use any dressing inside the bed. If I was to dress the sides only, I`d likely use 303 Aerospace Protectant. If I didn`t have the bed liner I`d never clay or `wax` the inside of a work truck painted bed...just a good wash `n air dry. Then again, If I didn`t have the plastic liner, I`d be putting Hercules or Rhino liner in there.

davidc
09-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Linex with Sonus Trim and Motor Kote

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28594&stc=1

Dave