PDA

View Full Version : Brand new car - need to wait to wax/seal?

BigJay
09-02-2015, 06:42 PM
I`ll be taking possession of a new 2016 Subaru Legacy this coming Monday and I would like to know if there is any period of time I need to wait before I seal/wax the car. The color is Crystal White Pearl and though I`m quite familiar with paint correction before applying any sealants/LSPs, I`ve read something about VOCs, newer paint and curing. Looking to get some thoughts on the matter.

wdmaccord
09-02-2015, 06:49 PM
shouldn`t need to wait. factory clear coats are baked on. repaints you typically want to wait 30 days or so.

rlmccarty2000
09-02-2015, 08:02 PM
No need to wait. Wash, correct (if needed) and wax/seal away.

GearHead_1
09-02-2015, 09:04 PM
I would add to the above post, decontaminate. Particularly on white.

MiVor
09-03-2015, 07:32 AM
Ditto - factory paints are `baked` on these days so there`s no need to wait. However, as mentioned, vehicles can pickup all sorts of contaminants in shipping that just don`t wash off. You really should wash well, clay and use a chemical (pre-LSP) cleaner (or an all-in-one LSP), then a good LSP. You`ll need to decide between a carnuba wax, a polymer sealant or a coating as each has their pros and cons.
You shouldn`t need to polish (inspect to be sure) unless the dealer mistreated the prep.

Good luck with the new ride and brace yourself for the first scratch, stone chip or whatever!

BigJay
09-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys, that`s pretty much what I thought but just wanted to make sure. I informed the dealer that I do not want them doing anything to the car except for the safety inspection. They are removing the wraps but that is it. I will be detailing the car once I get it home.

RTexasF
09-03-2015, 07:59 PM
On the last three new ones I`ve machine polished them the day they came home then sealed.