PDA

View Full Version : IPA Wipedown... How Do You Do Them?

ShawnF350
08-31-2015, 12:35 PM
I`ve never done an IPA Wipe Down had a few questions:

1) What Type alcohol am I looking for and where is the best place to get it?
2)What percent is best to use and/or do I dilute it?
3) What media do I use for the wipe down. Microfiber towels?
4) Do most detailers do an IPA after polishing? When should an IPA be done?

Any help appreciated.
I usually just use Meguiar`s Final Inspection after wiping off polish before applying the LSP.

Jesse@Autopia
08-31-2015, 12:46 PM
IPA wipe downs are usually done before applying a coating, or if you want to have a completely clean surface before applying an LSP. There are a couple different ones to use, my favorite so far is the BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Prep (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/blackfire-crystal-coat-paint-prep.html#.VeSSU_lVhHw). Also Mike Phillips has an in depth review on what you actually need to make an IPA solution yourself, here is the link: How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Accumulator
08-31-2015, 01:03 PM
I`ve never done an IPA Wipe Down had a few questions:

1) What Type alcohol am I looking for and where is the best place to get it?

IPA = Rubbing Alcohol; buy the strongest you can find (though that`s not critical) and buy it wherever it`s cheapest.

2)What percent is best to use and/or do I dilute it?

I forget which I bought the last time..IMO it`s not critical. I use it straight but others dilute it, presumably so it doesn`t flash off as fast and thus dwells on the paint longer.

3) What media do I use for the wipe down. Microfiber towels?

Yes, MFs.

4) Do most detailers do an IPA after polishing? When should an IPA be done?

Beats me what others do ;)

Noting that I found IPA to be only moderately effective at stripping polishing oils (I *vastly* products made for that like AkyraClean/PrepWash), I use it if/when a) I want to ensure that the next product bonds to bare paint and/or b) to remove polishing oils to aid in accurate inspection/assessment.

I usually just use Meguiar`s Final Inspection after wiping off polish before applying the LSP.

M34 is one of the few QDs I *always* have on hand, but it doesn`t work for this as a) it`s far to gentle a cleaner to remove many/most Polishing Oils and b) it leaves a little bit of something behind. What I *DO* like using M34 for is helping remove non-diminishing abrasive compound (e.g., M105) residue; it makes it a little easier to get the residue off without more micro-marring (remember that those products *always* cut since they don`t break down).

If you don`t care about stripping the Polishing Oils, then there`s nothing wrong with using the M34 for, well...wiping down for the Final Inspection. But to strip oils you need something else.

TheMeanGreen
08-31-2015, 09:06 PM
I do an IPA wipe down after compound/polish removal and before glazing/LSP. I use 91% or whatever is the strongest, then dilute to 50/50 water:alcohol. I find that it works well and let`s me see the actual paint without oils.

Oh, and I carefully mist the area I am working on, I do not apply the IPA right to the MF towel.

Accumulator
09-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Oh, and I carefully mist the area I am working on, I do not apply the IPA right to the MF towel.

That`s a good point! Spritzing it on the paint makes for a longer dwell-time and also helps minimize the chance of marring.

RaysWay
09-01-2015, 11:02 AM
I like the Arctic White MF towels for an IPA wipedown. Super soft, no linting, low pile so it`s not grabby. It`s very "silky" and glides across the paint but still absorbs the IPA well.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_1939374

4u2nvinmtl
09-01-2015, 02:40 PM
I ended up going with Eraser because I saw a few posts about IPA causing the paint to "swell" and because of Accumulator (J/K), Really it was because Eraser is most commonly used after polishing before applying a coating to ensure the surface is clean.

- If it`s good enough for certified coating installers it`s good enough for me.