PDA

View Full Version : What are these packed with my GG6?

SwedishRider
08-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Just got my GG6 in today. Feels like a solid tool! Build quality seems very good. I took the handle off (as I`ve ready many detailers, including Mike Phillips, advocate for that way), and it did fit my hand very well. I still need a 5" backing plate and pads before I can use it.

I do have one criticism- the included instruction manual is very thin on information. It didn`t give much in the way of tool instruction beyond which Griot`s products it should be paired with. It didn`t even have a "packing list" to identify the parts packed in the box.

Which leads me to a question: what are these packed in the box with my GG6?

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y512/SwedishRider/IMG_0968_zpsafmsw3yn.jpg (http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/SwedishRider/media/IMG_0968_zpsafmsw3yn.jpg.html)

I have NO idea what they are or what they do. And the instruction manual was of no help identifying them. I tried a quick Google search, but came up empty handed. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

MooreImpressive
08-26-2015, 06:18 PM
those are called brushes. they are part of the makings of the inner electric pieces and can wear out over time. they are simply giving you an extra set. and whatever red paint they are sitting on should be the first thing to test the new machine on. :)

TroyScherer
08-26-2015, 06:18 PM
These are "brushes". After a good amount of use they will wear down and need replaced. These are the replacements.

there isn`t much extra info due to the "lifetime warranty ". So you can just send it in once it stops working and they can fix it for you.

trashmanssd
08-26-2015, 06:55 PM
this video is of a GG3 but procedure is same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv4aKhacJVE

ShakingHorizons
08-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Odd - I just received mine and didn`t have those in the box.

SwedishRider
08-27-2015, 04:00 AM
Thank you for the info! I don`t have much experience with electric motors, so I didn`t know what those were. I`ll keep them handy in case I ever need them.

KBsToy
08-27-2015, 04:43 AM
I got them also on my open box special :)

pwaug
08-27-2015, 06:27 AM
When I recieved my GG6 a few years ago there were brushes in the box also. Since there were no instructions on how to change them I contacted Griots customer service. They explained they have never been able to get the manufacturer to stop placing the spare brushes in the box and that I should NOT replace brushes on my own as it would VOID the warranty. Things may may or may not have changed, but I`d check with Griots.

SwedishRider
08-27-2015, 05:34 PM
When I recieved my GG6 a few years ago there were brushes in the box also. Since there were no instructions on how to change them I contacted Griots customer service. They explained they have never been able to get the manufacturer to stop placing the spare brushes in the box and that I should NOT replace brushes on my own as it would VOID the warranty. Things may may or may not have changed, but I`d check with Griots.

I called Griot`s today based on your post, and your information is still correct- the customer service rep said to ignore those spare brushes and contact Griot`s if the unit ever needs any warranty service. She was specific that I don`t open the unit myself (and even said not to send in those brushes if they ever need to be changed, it was okay just to discard them and make sure to keep the wrench that came in the box if I ever send it in for service).

Thanks for the great info pwaug! :)

Stokdgs
08-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Great that they will replace them, but not so great if you are in the middle of a Detail on a weekend, live in Ottawa, etc., and your machine needs a brush replacement.. :)
Unless you let the machine run for months at full speed, perhaps even a year or longer, you are not going to knock those down to nothing, by just Detailing for fun, even for profit..
Dan F

Envious Eric
10-05-2015, 08:19 AM
send me the brushes, Ill buy them off you!

Brownie
10-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Odd - I just received mine and didn`t have those in the box.

Hey Bud, Give Griot`s Garage Customer Service a call and they can send out some brushes. 800-345-5789