PDA

View Full Version : Type of business DBA or LLC

RiKo
08-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Hey Everyone, im looking to do auto detailing part time and want to do everything by the book.
So far DBA seems like the easy way to go considering i will be insured on my work. LLC protects personal assets but a lil pricier to file.
Please help me choose which way to go. i will be doing all the work by myself to start off with, maybe get a helper later on if i go full time on this.
Thanks a million [emoji4]

Goin Rogue
08-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Interested in info too.

The Driver
08-25-2015, 06:05 PM
CYA.... LLC (S-corp)

You would be foolish not to, especially in this day an age.

MooreImpressive
08-25-2015, 06:06 PM
don`t know why an LLC would cost much more, but I don`t know from state to state. in Indiana it costs around $85 to get an LLC license.

Ronkh
08-25-2015, 06:17 PM
don`t know why an LLC would cost much more, but I don`t know from state to state. in Indiana it costs around $85 to get an LLC license.

tax/entity filing probably

ShaneB
08-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Single member LLCs with no employees besides yourself are considered a disregarded entity to the IRS and all income is reported on ones personal taxes. So it`s treated as a sole proprietorship by the IRS

only cost me $50 in Michigan for LLC

Ronkh
08-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Single member LLCs with no employees besides yourself are considered a disregarded entity to the IRS and all income is reported on ones personal taxes. So it`s treated as a sole proprietorship by the IRS

only cost me $50 in Michigan for LLC

If I recall correctly, CT had a minimum filing for the entity, not just pass thru

wdmaccord
08-26-2015, 08:29 AM
LLC. File an S-Corp election. Pay yourself some kind of small salary and the rest passes through on K-1. The extra cost of the LLC will be worth it...I don`t think a DBA puts anything between the business and you personally (but I could be wrong). On the flip side, unless you think you will have at least $50k+ in revenue, the hassle of an LLC might not be worth it (quarterly IRS filings, quarterly state unemployment filings, monthly withholding filings, etc.). I do my own quickbooks because my business (non-detailing) is low transactional, so mainly just rent, utilities and payroll. My annual accountant costs have been around $140/yr since I do my own books and just send the QB file to him for the tax return at the end of the year.

All that being said, the best advice I can give you is to talk to an accountant. Hopefully you have a friend of family member that is a CPA and would be willing to discuss over a couple beers. I probably have saved $100`s by just taking my accountant out for a couple beers when I wanted to discuss something.

Migue
08-26-2015, 11:25 AM

When i met with a local CPA here in TX.... $1,000 was the price given to me to get an LLC going. i`ve also seen around $300 as well, so it`s weird and something i`m still looking into.