PDA

View Full Version : Should I...

Goldsmithy
08-17-2015, 12:56 PM
try to detail my `new` to me 2005 , chili red, MINI cooper convertible myself (DIY with little experience) or find a professional. The car has 8,500 miles on it, but was stored in a garage in Key West for the first 10 years of it`s life. I have been reading about Opti-Cote and like what I have read. Should I try this at home?

Any tips on choosing a detailer in my area? I want to know what questions to ask....

As always, TIA for any help, hints, recommendations, or advice you can give this NOOB...

rlmccarty2000
08-17-2015, 01:23 PM
If you have the time (and money) I would do it myself. Do some research or ask a few questions to the members here. It`s all about a love for cars and teaching yourself the art of detailing. You are here so I figure you kinda want to do it yourself, and you can. Don`t be afraid to get the showroom finish you are dreaming about. Go for it. Detailing is fun and addictive.

Ronkh
08-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Where in Fl are you?

opti gloss, or BF coating or PBL coating, but ya may want to wait a couple of weeks to cool down

jrock645
08-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Get a DA polisher, learn to use it along with a boatload of products. Buy a TON of mf towels, too. As said above, detailing is fun and super addictive. Good hobby to have, though. Gets you off the couch when there`s no football to watch.

tropicsteve
08-17-2015, 07:36 PM
I agree, get yourself a good da polisher package and learn to use it before you do any coating. for what a detailer will charge you, you can get yourself a good setup that will pay you back many times over.
Dual Action Polishers & Pads (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/dual-action-orbital-polishers.html)

06vrss
08-17-2015, 07:55 PM
I couldn`t agree more with the previous posts. I`m sure most autopians were in your position at one time or another, including myself. Detailing is a great hobby, very rewarding. Do do some reading and go for it. You will be surprised what you can accomplish.