View Full Version : Massive Vinyl Protectant Test *UPDATED 8-21*

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Robert DiTerlizzi
08-12-2015, 09:47 AM
nice work Paul and great write-up!
Looking forward to long term results as well

Paul@Autopia
08-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all of the comments. Doing a side-by-side test like this really shows the differences between each product and helps show the contrast in the finish that they each produce.

I like whichever one will last!!!

As Meghan said, durability is the most important aspect of these products to her, while to others it may be cost, finish, or ease of use.

Since this top was in such a dehydrated state I`m not expecting to get the usual durability out of any of these products, but time will tell how they fare.

spoocobra
08-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all of the comments. Doing a side-by-side test like this really shows the differences between each product and helps show the contrast in the finish that they each produce.

As Meghan said, durability is the most important aspect of these products to her, while to others it may be cost, finish, or ease of use.

Since this top was in such a dehydrated state I`m not expecting to get the usual durability out of any of these products, but time will tell how they fare.
How come you didn`t try out Solution Finish? Just curious to see how it would stack up against all the others.

Thanks for this and great job!

LawrenceSA
08-13-2015, 03:16 AM
Thanks for taking the time to conduct the test and document the results. Eager to see durability results....

Paul@Autopia
08-14-2015, 03:20 PM
***Update***
After a week in the brutal Florida Sun and rain storms, I decided to take a look at how these were holding up.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/805/medium/IMG_08482.JPG

As you can see, they`ve all began to fade at different degrees.

PoorBoys, Hd Dress, Mystery, Meguiars, Black Wow & Perl have all faded dramatically.

Blackfire has kept the darkest look over the week, with Ultima behind it. While Ultima didn`t knock my socks off on initial application I`m very impressed with how it`s help up.

Forever Black and Wolfgang look very similar, up close Wolfgang has a little bit of gloss in it while forever black does not.

Angus
08-14-2015, 03:41 PM
***Update***
After a week in the brutal Florida Sun and rain storms, I decided to take a look at how these were holding up.

As you can see, they`ve all began to fade at different degrees.

PoorBoys, Hd Dress, Mystery, Meguiars, Black Wow & Perl have all faded dramatically.

Blackfire has kept the darkest look over the week, with Ultima behind it. While Ultima didn`t knock my socks off on initial application I`m very impressed with how it`s help up.

Forever Black and Wolfgang look very similar, up close Wolfgang has a little bit of gloss in it while forever black does not.

No kidding! I can`t get over how dramatic that is after only 1 week. Do you see any application high/low spots now that each product has faded?

RDKC
08-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Wow. I`ve seen the rapid drop off on some products first hand but this side-by-side really highlights it. Never realized some went so quickly.

Is it just me/my phone or does the Ultima seem darker in the center?

Sent from my toilet using TapaTalk. You never know, do you?

rlmccarty2000
08-14-2015, 06:41 PM
This is one of the best reviews I have seen. Keep up the great work. I am currently using the BFTTS and based on your tests I don`t think I will be changing anytime soon. Many thanks!

tonipieleanu
08-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Fantastic test, thanks for sharing!
It really shows how fast these dressing actually fade. I`ve done a similar comparison with some of the dressings I have and the results were similar.

Merlin
08-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Very well done!

Some expected. Some surprising.

I see a big difference in quick and easy and out the door vs. longevity and durability.

This review will be very influential in purchasing trim dressing products in the future.

kamakaz1961
08-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Awesome test!! Thank you the valuable information!

The Guz
08-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the update. Dramatic changes after 1 week.

Paul@Autopia
08-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Initial Application
http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28376&stc=1
Week 1

Week 2
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/805/Week_21.jpg

Put all of these together for easier reference...
As you can see the Meguiars, Black WOW, PERL, HD, Poorboys & Mystery are almost completely faded now.

Forever Black faded some (maybe around 25%) since the last update while Ultima lost a little bit of color.

Wolfgang & Blackfire look very similar to last week, however I`d give a slight edge at the moment to Blackfire.

Ronkh
08-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Looked good, till I saw the red sox decal :::: smh ::::

Paul@Autopia
08-21-2015, 04:56 PM
Looked good, till I saw the red sox decal :::: smh ::::

Everytime I take pictures of the tonneau I check the tires to make sure they`re not deflated...