PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life of Waxes and Proper Storage

jeepngli
08-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Really like the results of supernatural from this weekend. AGO is having a pretty good sale. Was thinking about picking up the bigger size, maybe even the wooden jar since the price is good. That jar would last me for a long time but do these non OTC waxes last a long time?

I know i had Turtle waxes from years ago that still worked fine. But I left them on the shelf all winter/summer since they were only a few bucks. All my current products, I keep in our "mud room" so its pretty much at a consistent temp. I place plastic wrap around them before I screw on the tops too to prevent drying out. Should I put the wax in the fridge?

Note: please move if this isn`t the correct section.

Thanks!!!

Pics from This weekend :)

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28304&stc=1http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28305&stc=1

pgp
08-17-2015, 03:46 PM
I would ask the manufacturer for the best answer.

RaysWay
08-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Generally waxes last around 5 years in their standard containers, but you can make them last much longer if you keep them in an air tight container. I like your idea with plastic wrap. I`ve heard of guys placing their jars in Zip Lock bags before too.

Beautiful reflection btw :10:

Old Pirate
08-17-2015, 05:53 PM
Some waxes had a shorter time span due to one opening the jar when waxing a car, while others will last longer. When not in use try a plastic bag or even better you can saran wrap the jar/bottle and keep it in the house. I heard of 5 yrs but location in the world is different then the other.

Accumulator
08-18-2015, 11:10 AM
This is apparently another one of those YMMV things....

Noting that my current shop is climate-controlled (but my previous one was not and got *very* hot/cold), I can`t actually recall one instance of a wax drying out/going bad. I typically get around a decade out of a tin of product (I date the can when I first open it) and I take no special precautions. My little jar of Zymol/BHMA Detail (an "interior wood wax"), which even has a cracked lid, dates from the mid-`80s and it`s still OK, just a little granular (which doesn`t seem to affect its performance). My tin of Pro Yellow Wax from the *1970s* was OK the last time I checked it.

The tins of M16 and 476S that I store in the house show no signs of being any different from the ones that`ve been out in the various shops.

A few years ago, somebody (IIRC it was Joe/"Superior Shine") did a hood using old Meguiar`s products from the 1960s. Turned out fine.

JustJesus
08-18-2015, 11:24 AM
(I date the can when I first open it)

Your entire post had good info, but this line....GREAT. I like the idea. Hmm. I think I`ll even keep a log of each use. Thanks!

Accumulator
08-18-2015, 11:57 AM
I started dating the tins due to threads here about shelf-life and about using excessive product, piqued my curiosity as what others were reporting sounded so different from my experience.

Ben@3D
08-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Most waxes and sealants have an increased self life when left refrigerated. (3D/HD included)

Ronkh
08-18-2015, 06:05 PM
This is apparently another one of those YMMV things....

Noting that my current shop is climate-controlled (but my previous one was not and got *very* hot/cold), I can`t actually recall one instance of a wax drying out/going bad. I typically get around a decade out of a tin of product (I date the can when I first open it) and I take no special precautions. My little jar of Zymol/BHMA Detail (an "interior wood wax"), which even has a cracked lid, dates from the mid-`80s and it`s still OK, just a little granular (which doesn`t seem to affect its performance). My tin of Pro Yellow Wax from the *1970s* was OK the last time I checked it.

The tins of M16 and 476S that I store in the house show no signs of being any different from the ones that`ve been out in the various shops.

A few years ago, somebody (IIRC it was Joe/"Superior Shine") did a hood using old Meguiar`s products from the 1960s. Turned out fine.

I had one tin of m16 that was like pudding. (haven`t opened the other yet)

As far as the wax from the 60`s, IMHO doesn`t fit in the conversation unless the op has waxes that old since they were pre voc. (as I said imho)

Accumulator
08-19-2015, 11:06 AM
I had one tin of m16 that was like pudding. (haven`t opened the other yet)..

My older cans sound all dried out- you shake the can and hear the "dried out" wax rattle around in it. But once you start to actually *use* it, it still does the "paste wax that turns liquid" thing just fine and works 100%.

As far as the wax from the 60`s, IMHO doesn`t fit in the conversation unless the op has waxes that old since they were pre voc. (as I said imho)

You lost me there..(no no, I understand the "IMHO" part so I`m not arguing)..he had old stuff and wanted to see if it was still OK. Sorta like when I get out that little jar of Zymol. Speaks to the shelf-life of products that weren`t stored "properly".

And, just FWIW, I *do* have pre-VOC 476S just because the guys at Collinite said how challenging they were finding the reformultion to be. Hearing that, I stocked up on the old version but now realize I`ll *never* use even a quarter of the case in this lifetime.