PDA

View Full Version : Carbon brushes

Envious Eric
08-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Where can I get just the carbon brushes for the 6" da? I`d rather not have to send in my polishers just for brushes again. (Although it`s nice you get a new machine and an extra set of brushes, I don`t like the 2 to 3 week turn around time)

I called last week and the guy said they don`t sell them because it`s a hard install...I dont think he understood what I was talking about, it`s 4 screws and two clips removed, drop in, plug in, put back together...very simple. Plus, I`ve gotten 5 of them a few years back shipped to me after explaining my situation of only needing brushes, ad the guy agreed it would be faster.

Thanks.

Potatoe
08-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Which Polisher Eric?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Potatoe
08-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Nevermind. See what forum this is in, just came up in feed.

Potatoe
08-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Call Tool Mart in Escondido.

Envious Eric
08-11-2015, 03:03 PM
so here is the low down on what Ive been told...

"Griots doesnt send out carbon brushes because its difficult to install"...said the guy on the phone a couple weeks ago.

And per my email request last week:

"Griots doesnt replace the carbon brushes only as it will void the warranty if the end user replaces the original ones"

I am totally stumped as to how there can be so much miscommunication between departments. If replacing the original carbon burshes (when the machine works otherwise) will void the warranty, why does Griots supply every new polisher with a brand new set of extra brushes? Its a super simple fix, 4 screws and two spring latches to hold them down, two prongs to plug them in. DONE.

Finally, after wanting an answer, I got a response saying my brushes are on the way without the two weeks of dead turn around time.

This would be my assumption as to why griots does this....
When you send in an old polisher that is failing (albeit maybe only the brushes went out), griots takes it back, sends you a brand new one, fixes/cleans the returned one, then resells it as refurbished making profits 100% profits on the refurbished unit. So in a sense, they are making money on the same polisher time and time again as they resell them (or sells them to whomever resells them, etc) Again, only my assumption, and not a bad idea from a business perspective. I just wish the whole return process didnt take two weeks considering I am 2 states away, and shipping could be next day (I dont think their new units ship from the return unit location, which could easily make things turn around faster IMO)

In the end, Griots is sending me new brushes, I am happy

Potatoe
08-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Glad to see you got it worked out...

pwaug
08-11-2015, 04:40 PM
I was told by Griot`s customer service 3 years ago (by a very good and knowledgeable rep) that if you replace the brushes yourself it voids the warranty and that they had been trying to get their manufacturer to stop sending spare brushes to no avail. It also can void the warranty if you change the power cord. I was told to just send the polisher back and they would take care of it--if I had a problem. If I where you I`d verify that it is OK for you to change the brushes without voiding the warranty. BTW--Griots does not sell refurbed machines to my knowledge unless they do it at one of their stores.

tropicsteve
08-11-2015, 05:12 PM
I recently had the cord to my 6"griot`s da cut in half by my evil parrot and was just going to re-splice it together, but worried about voiding the warranty. called griot`s and explained what happened and they said they would still cover it under the warranty. returned it and they returned what looked like a brand new unit all in 10 days. first time in five years I ever had a problem, wasn`t griot`s fault, they replaced the polisher, and that`s what I call great customer service. I`ve got a modded harbor freight da as a back up just for situations like this. I don`t know of any other company that stands behind their machine with such a warranty and service. they`re great in my book.

Oldfordisbetter
08-11-2015, 05:55 PM
I recently had the cord to my 6"griot`s da cut in half by my evil parrot and was just going to re-splice it together, but worried about voiding the warranty. called griot`s and explained what happened and they said they would still cover it under the warranty. returned it and they returned what looked like a brand new unit all in 10 days. first time in five years I ever had a problem, wasn`t griot`s fault, they replaced the polisher, and that`s what I call great customer service. I`ve got a modded harbor freight da as a back up just for situations like this. I don`t know of any other company that stands behind their machine with such a warranty and service. they`re great in my book.
Thats awesome

Envious Eric
08-14-2015, 11:40 AM
that is pretty awesome, and I love griots for their warranty, but my gripe is the fact that I have to send it in, wait for a new machine that taeks 2 weeks to finally get back, when in reality, its a 5 min brush replacement...The machines are cheap enough at 150 that even if they go out every year, thats just 12 bucks a month, not going to break the bank to buy a new one.

For what its worth, I love all 4 of my griots machines, the 21 BOSS, and the 3 6"da machines I have

KBzPTGT
08-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Brushes Main Page (http://www.carbonbrush.com/brushes.htm)