PDA

View Full Version : Any Preference On Clay?

Pages : [1] 2 3

jeepngli
08-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Need to order some clay bar. I`ve used Detailed Image`s clay bar(not sure who makes it). Do you guys find any difference in brands? This would be for my garaged mustang. Its clean, the clay would only be to remove any previous wax.

I also don`t use the Pre-wax cleaners. Is that worth a try or just an extra unneeded step?

Thanks in advance,
JeepnGLI

Ronkh
08-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Poorboys or riccardo

fatpurse
08-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Sonus is my favorite.

EXPDetailing
08-03-2015, 07:52 PM
One that`s sure to not marr is Pinnacle`s fine clay bar.

Ronkh
08-03-2015, 07:53 PM
One that`s sure to not marr is Pinnacle`s fine clay bar.
Huh?

Sorry
Didnt read correctly and cant delete my post on phone

jeepngli
08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Ron, I figured you would say that from your other thread.

The site I was buying from doesn`t have Poorboy`s otherwise I would try it.

I saw good things about Sonus and Griots. I also saw that Pinnacle`s is supposed to be ultra-fine.

Since the paint is in really good condition, all I want to remove is the left over wax so I need an ultra-fine, correct? I`m thinking Pinnacle

Ronkh
08-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Autopia Car Care Products - Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polishers, Auto Detailing (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/)

Stokdgs
08-03-2015, 08:08 PM
When I used Claybars a few years ago, I liked the Blackfire PolyClay sold here along with their Claybar cleaner spray..
Much nicer to spray and rub the bad stuff off the claybar then kneading it a zillion times, in my experience..

This particular bar is very easy to use and does a great job of cleaning off the paintwork leaving a nice, smooth, finish that looks better because it is cleaner..

Since you are using it to clean off old wax, unless you are doing this like every few weeks and the car is totally not outside much, there will be some junk in the paint along with the LSP that may or may not still be there..
Dan F

Ronkh
08-03-2015, 08:10 PM
I`m not sure that clay will do a complete job.

For that you may want something like
PBl paint cleanser
Poorboys world pro polish
DP coating prep polish

jeepngli
08-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Interesting. I`m not sure why the clay wouldn`t do what I need or is it that the clay is an overkill for what I need?

I`ve never used those Pre-wax cleaners. Maybe I should?

Ronkh
08-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Interesting. I`m not sure why the clay wouldn`t do what I need or is it that the clay is an overkill for what I need?

I`ve never used those Pre-wax cleaners. Maybe I should?

It used to be said it would. But then some said it wouldn`t.....

Me, I`d be over cautious and do it anyway, AND polish to make sure it`s a perfect (or perfect as can be) surface.

I mean, it is YOUR car......

jeepngli
08-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Gotcha. I still didn`t see that Poorboy`s Clay on autopia`s site. I must be missing something

Maybe this is a silly question, but can the polishing be done by hand at all? Not going to do much without a buffer right? I need to get one and practice on the DD/wife`s car first

Ronkh
08-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Gotcha. I still didn`t see that Poorboy`s Clay on autopia`s site. I must be missing something

Maybe this is a silly question, but can the polishing be done by hand at all? Not going to do much without a buffer right? I need to get one and practice on the DD/wife`s car first

Call Ray about the clay.

If you`re going to do it all by hand, maybe try
Blackfire Total polish and seal, then follow up with a couple of coats of Crystal seal, then maybe a coat of wax or not as you wish

01GreyStangGT
08-03-2015, 09:57 PM
+1 for Poorboys clay

jrock645
08-03-2015, 10:50 PM
I just used a nano skin today for the first time on my moms car... Pretty cool