PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rupes Pads

XxBoostinxX
07-26-2015, 03:50 PM
I have a few coarse pads that are starting to show wear from cleaning with a pad brush. I love the pads, but don`t want to tear them up. How does Rupes recommend cleaning their pads during and after polishing?

Oldfordisbetter
07-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Im not Rupes but compressed air is the best way (that I know of) to clean pads on the fly. and when done polishing all pupose cleaner, degreaser, and my favorite engine degreaser. Spray pads liberally , let set for a while them rinse and massage polish out.

XxBoostinxX
07-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Im not Rupes but compressed air is the best way (that I know of) to clean pads on the fly. and when done polishing all pupose cleaner, degreaser, and my favorite engine degreaser. Spray pads liberally , let set for a while them rinse and massage polish out.

I`ll try the compressed air instead of the brush. When I am done I usually use APC+ and it works really well with everything but the blue coarse pads. It`s like the open cells are so big that polish just clumps up inside.

ShawnF350
07-26-2015, 04:50 PM
If you don`t have a pad washer.. Do swanics ghetto pad washer idea
Ghetto Pad Washer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkLXeWyxP0E)

JSFM35X
07-26-2015, 05:00 PM
I rinse Under running water with some dawn. Then rinse and wring like a sponge. Let dry

Robert DiTerlizzi
07-27-2015, 08:22 AM
I use a pad washer for "on the fly" cleaning (after each panel)
I`ve found (IMO) the best one is the System 3000 by Lake Country
DP System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer FREE BONUS! (http://autopia-carcare.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autopia-carcare.com%2Fsystem-3000-pad-washer.html)
It has two chambers, one for the washing liquid and one for the dirty liquid, by separating them you get a clean pad every time!

XxBoostinxX
07-27-2015, 08:33 AM
I use a pad washer for "on the fly" cleaning (after each panel)
I`ve found (IMO) the best one is the System 3000 by Lake Country
DP System 3000 Deluxe Pad Washer FREE BONUS! (http://autopia-carcare.commerce-search.net/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autopia-carcare.com%2Fsystem-3000-pad-washer.html)
It has two chambers, one for the washing liquid and one for the dirty liquid, by separating them you get a clean pad every time!

I have been eyeing that one Robert. But man is it pricey. How often do you have to change the filter?

Robert DiTerlizzi
07-27-2015, 08:42 AM
I have been eyeing that one Robert. But man is it pricey. How often do you have to change the filter?

Cleaning of the filter is done once the level of cleaning fluid is used up. I clean the whole unit after each car.
I haven`t changed it yet and have been using it since March

Tpr1634
07-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Compressed air for me.

jsou
07-27-2015, 09:29 AM
I soak mine in a bucket of ammonia/distilled water, then rinse, and scrub with a soft brush. I have yellow pads that I have been using consistently for 2 years. Not sure how they`ll work on the more coarser pads but you could give it a try.

Note: I also have compressed air, pad washer, and tried the washing machine method, this works best in my long term experience.

Todd@RUPES
07-28-2015, 06:45 AM
For cleaning "on the fly," I prefer compressed air over other methods. Not only does it do a great job of evacuating any compound / paint residue but it can also clean clumps of product from the very open cells of the blue foam. A pad brush works well, but on the stiffer blue foam it can fray the face a little bit. If you don`t have compressed air, then a brush will be the next best choice. At the end of the night, wash out with soapy water (or APC and water rinse) and allow to dry over night.

For best pad life, only use the foam`s when they are dry and do not mist the blue or green with a lubricant during use. (This will cause a capillary effect that will cause the pad to become overly saturated and out of balance).

JSFM35X
07-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Todd,

I have noticed the Rupes logo washing out very easily. These were purchased here so I know they are not fakes.

XxBoostinxX
07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
For cleaning "on the fly," I prefer compressed air over other methods. Not only does it do a great job of evacuating any compound / paint residue but it can also clean clumps of product from the very open cells of the blue foam. A pad brush works well, but on the stiffer blue foam it can fray the face a little bit. If you don`t have compressed air, then a brush will be the next best choice. At the end of the night, wash out with soapy water (or APC and water rinse) and allow to dry over night.

For best pad life, only use the foam`s when they are dry and do not mist the blue or green with a lubricant during use. (This will cause a capillary effect that will cause the pad to become overly saturated and out of balance).

The little bit of fraying is what I am experiencing with the coarse pads and a brush. I love the pads and will definitely try compressed air. Thanks [emoji106]

Todd,

I have noticed the Rupes logo washing out very easily. These were purchased here so I know they are not fakes.

Mine do it also, JSFM. Our next problem going to be people starting to copy Rupes pads lol.