PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Rejiggers Its Spray Polish Line Again?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Some of you may remember that last year Optimum updated their spray polishes (Hyper Polish and Hyper Compound), changing the colors (Polish went from pink to blue, Compound went from blue to orange). Both as I recall were supposed to have increased cut while producing a better finish--the color change, while confusing to me, was supposed to match the color of the product to the Optimum waffle buffing pads, in the way some other mfrs. have color-coded their products.

I`ve looked here http://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/181138-updated-5-2015-autopia-polish-comparison-chart.html and I can`t really tell if this chart was updated to reflect those 2014 changes to the Hyper products, which shows the Polish at 5 and the Compound at 8.

Well, hold the phone, according to the Optimum forum and store, they have renamed the 2014 Hyper Compound (orange) Intensive Polish, and have a new (2015) Hyper Compound, which is white, and is complemented by a new Hyper Wool Foam Pad. This new compound is supposed to be capable of removing 1000 grit sanding marks...which by my estimation would make it the most aggressive compound out there.

So RAY ( :) ) , can you tell us if the above-linked chart represents the 2014 versions of these products, and when/if/where the new compound will fit in?

RaysWay
07-21-2015, 08:12 AM
So RAY ( :) ) , can you tell us if the above-linked chart represents the 2014 versions of these products, and when/if/where the new compound will fit in?

Good catch! The latest chart has not been adjusted for the newest formula. I`ll get in touch with Optimum to see where the new polishes will fall into the chart.

jmsc
07-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Do you by any chance have the cut/gloss/price (16 or 32 oz bottle) of the new Intensive Polish? A few days ago I could not find anything on these products.

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2015, 01:34 PM
I don`t know if that was directed at me, but the "new" Intensive Polish is the orange Hyper Compound. The new product is the new Hyper Compound, which appears to be white. The list prices are the same at $30 for an 18oz spray bottle, and $75 for a 64oz jug. As far as the cut, we`re waiting for Ray on that.

Oldfordisbetter
07-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Looking forward to trying the new compound. Seems like its going to cut really nice.

David Fermani
07-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Technically speaking, if a compound has the ability to remove 1500 grit sanding marks, it should also be able to to remove 1200, 1000 grit and even 800 grit if you really wanted to. What matters more is how quickly it can do it and how the finish will look after. Rarely, if ever, do I hear or see anyone final sanding to 1000 and then buffing?

Scottwax
07-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Technically speaking, if a compound has the ability to remove 1500 grit sanding marks, it should also be able to to remove 1200, 1000 grit and even 800 grit if you really wanted to. What matters more is how quickly it can do it and how the finish will look after. Rarely, if ever, do I hear or see anyone final sanding to 1000 and then buffing?

I think the point of saying it can remove 1000 grit marks is to convey how aggressive it is, not that they actually suggest you stop wet sanding with 1000.

Hyper Polish stays the same
Old Hyper Compound is now Intensive Polish
Hyper Compound is the new more aggressive compound

Because the new Hyper Compound is more aggressive, I`ve found it works much better with a flat pad than a waffle pad, the high points on a waffle pad can leave noticeable wavey looking marring (correctable though) but no issues with a flat pad.

However, Intensive Polish and Hyper Polish seem to work better (for me at least) with a waffle cutting or polishing pad.

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Hey Scott, thanks for chiming in. Since you`ve used the compound, is it as aggressive as it would seem from the 1000 grit "rating"? How does it finish out (with a flat pad ;) )?

I`m guessing people are going to want to know how it compares to SHC 300 or FG400 or M100/101/105.

Oldfordisbetter
07-21-2015, 06:02 PM
I also have same questions as Setec. How about dusting? Does it wipe off as easy as the old compound? Do you normally just spray your pad with the compound or put dots? Or if using rotary put a bead down and pick it up? Thanks Scott

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Do you normally just spray your pad with the compound or put dots?

You mean spray your arm and the pad, don`t you?

Oldfordisbetter
07-21-2015, 06:36 PM
You mean spray your arm and the pad, don`t you?
Is that what happens? I just put mine in a squeeze bottle, and never messed with the sprayers. But Optimum keeps saying about even coverage on the pad if you spray so I wasnt sure if thats the way I should try to? How do you prefer?

Setec Astronomy
07-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Is that what happens? I just put mine in a squeeze bottle, and never messed with the sprayers. But Optimum keeps saying about even coverage on the pad if you spray so I wasnt sure if thats the way I should try to? How do you prefer?

I always try to use the sprayer for the reason you mention, and over the course of a session, between the inconsistency of the sprayer and my aim, I usually spray the pad, the machine, my hand/arm, the side of the house, passing birds, etc.

Oldfordisbetter
07-21-2015, 06:52 PM
I always try to use the sprayer for the reason you mention, and over the course of a session, between the inconsistency of the sprayer and my aim, I usually spray the pad, the machine, my hand/arm, the side of the house, passing birds, etc.
Lol Thanks Setec, I think im going to have to give it another shot with the sprayer. I believe I tried the sprayer when I first got the compound but that was a good while ago so I dont recall how my aim was.

Stokdgs
07-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Lol Thanks Setec, I think im going to have to give it another shot with the sprayer. I believe I tried the sprayer when I first got the compound but that was a good while ago so I dont recall how my aim was.

Since the Optimum Compound and Hyper Polish first came out (about what - 7-8 years ago?) and I purchased both, I have never had consistent performance from the Sprayers, and quickly discarded them in favor of squeeze bottles..
Understand the idea of getting better coverage on the pad on panel, but I can get even better, accurate, coverage using my finger spreading the product on the Pad..

Optimum has always stood behind their Sprayers and sent me a few replacements and they also didnt work much better... It seems like once they get used, if you dont get everything out of them perfectly when you clean them, they will just spray inconsistently everywhere sometimes and I just dont have time to deal with it, so I dont..

Love the products - especially the Hyper-Polish - and always am glad when I find I need it..
Dan F

sealthedeal
07-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Also would be interesting to near feedback on the wool pad. Someone from the Optimum Australia side told me It`s been manufactured by Lake country per optimum spec and cuts aggressively while finishing down great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk