PDA

View Full Version : What is vibration and why does it matter?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Todd@RUPES
07-20-2015, 05:10 PM
Vibration Free: Why does it matter? 

When RUPES set off to develop the BigFoot System, one of the primary goals was to create a nearly vibration free polishing experience. While the obvious benefit is user comfort - a vibration- free tool will fatigue the user less and can reduce the risk the of long-term health problems such as carpel tunnel syndrome - it also reduces/eliminates most of the factors that cause wear to the tool in addition to producing a better finish potential. 

Vibration, for this discussion, is a factor of being out of balance. Random orbital polishers, by design, are quite unbalanced. You have a large mass (backing plate/pad/spindle) that is orbiting around a center axis point. The further the mass is away from the axis, the greater the unbalance, the more intense the vibration becomes.

RUPES BigFoot Polishing System remains the most balanced single-head random orbital polishing system on the market. If ran in free air at full speed, BigFoot Polishers, when used with the appropriately weighted BigFoot Pads will produce almost ZERO vibration. The reason that RUPES remains the only near vibration free large-stroke system on the market is because it is time consuming and hard to engineer (3 years) and nearly impossible to copy. 

While the internal counter balance of the machine is important, it must be married to backing plate and pad that are not only correctly weighted, but are also dynamically balanced and have a proper center of gravity. 

What is dynamic balance? It is the ability of a moving part to remain in balance. A couple examples are if you stick your leg out to the side, you might have to move the opposite arm out. Move your leg out, your arm needs to go out further - staying balanced in motion.(Bad example, but point made). Some tools, like a rotary tool, are inherently dynamically balanced if the pad is centered. That is the force on all sizes of the axis are equal and the tool operates smoothly. 

As mentioned above, an orbital polisher requires a counter weight that is properly married to the internal counterbalance system. But dynamic balance goes further. RUPES BigFoot pads also feature a proper center of gravity. Inside the tool, there is a shaft that runs through the bearing into a secondary counter weight on the top of the tool. If the pad is too bottom or top heavy, additional stress is placed on the shaft which can create excessive wear. You may have noticed that RUPES 100 mm and 150 mm pads are shorter in height than the 180 mm pads. This is part of maintaining a proper center of gravity.

So to expand on the opening paragraph and fully answer the initial question, why does vibration matter? 

Any vibration you feel is a result of unbalance and it creates excessive wear inside the tool.

Hold your tool our with one hand and run it full power… Feel any tingle/buzz? That tingle is placing unwanted side-load on the bearing inside the tool’s head. That tingle is your bearing wearing out faster than necessary.

Vibration also makes it hard to manage a foam pad’s behavior as it engages the workpiece surface. The result is that it makes it more difficult to achieve maximum gloss (although the difference is often so small not to be recognized, if your goal is to truly create maximum gloss, it is something worth remembering). 

RUPES spent nearly 3 years to develop a nearly vibration free tool when paired in the RUPES system. This amount of engineering cannot be copied by sight and calipers. The weight and center of gravity of the system is imperative to a long-lasting design that will produce consistent results. 

number1show
07-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Had I known that the Rupes vibrate much less than the G21, I would have gone that route with no hesitation. It really is a big deal.

allenk4
07-20-2015, 05:30 PM

RUPES BigFoot Polishers remain the most balanced single head random orbital polishers on the market.

Interesting Distinction since the aquisition of Cyclo

Todd@RUPES
07-20-2015, 05:36 PM

RUPES BigFoot Polishers remain the most balanced single head random orbital polishers on the market.

Interesting Distinction since the aquisition of Cyclo

An important distinction none-the-less. Cyclo`s have an advantage of having the an identical mass spinning the same directions, although timed to be opposing. It works much like a counter balance crankshaft.

Although in fairness, I had to edit the sentence and change Polisher to System. The polisher itself is not balanced, it is an integral part of a system that becomes balanced through the careful engineering of all of the components.

Todd@RUPES
07-20-2015, 05:36 PM
Had I known that the Rupes vibrate much less than the G21, I would have gone that route with no hesitation. It really is a big deal.

It really is a systematic approach, truly engineered from the ground up. If you compare the vibration level of any other orbital polisher system against the BigFoot System, the difference is night and day. It is why RUPES doesn`t recommend changing backing plate sizes or using pads that will effect the balance of the tool. The point of this thread is emphasize how important vibration free operation is.

It is a responsibility that RUPES as a tool manufacturer (since 1947) and engineering firm takes very seriously.

RaskyR1
07-20-2015, 06:44 PM
It really is a systematic approach, truly engineered from the ground up. If you compare the vibration level of any other orbital polisher system against the BigFoot System, the difference is night and day. It is why RUPES doesn`t recommend changing backing plate sizes or using pads that will effect the balance of the tool. The point of this thread is emphasize how important vibration free operation is.

It is a responsibility that RUPES as a tool manufacturer (since 1947) and engineering firm takes very seriously.

So I`m assuming Rupes has accelerometer testing data of all the other manufactures orbital polisher systems to back up this claim then? Not saying the claim isn`t true, but I`ve used some other systems where where I couldn`t personally detect a difference.

Greg Nichols
07-20-2015, 06:46 PM
So if someone changed the backing plate but it was of the same mass and same size that shouldn`t affect the vibration correct?

rlmccarty2000
07-20-2015, 07:03 PM
It`s a shame this wasn`t posted prior to the release of the Griots system. It could have saved some people (not me) some money and vibration.

Swanicyouth
07-20-2015, 07:44 PM
You gotta read between the lines here. Honestly, if I was Rupes - I`d be pissed someone (tried to) copy our flag ship machine and system approach down to an identical counterweight, the throw (waiting for their Duetto knock-off), and the number of holes (I think it`s around 32) on the BP shroud.

Then they glue some rubber to the outside and say that is an advantage. Of course it`s all dressed up and sold as a kit - just like Rupes. They even include "the washer" (Duh? If you were confident in your design - why would you include something to modify it ???). Then they get a bunch of pro detailers who got free machines come on here to shill it.

But, as we know - the copy will never be as good as the original. I have a shelf full of products from the copy cat company. I won`t be replacing any of those when they run out.

Quite frankly, that company makes some decent products (they also make some mediocre products), but they don`t make anything that I couldn`t replace from someone else. Not a single product. If they make a single class leading product, please feel free to list it here:

(just one is sufficient)

Detailing isn`t a billion dollar market. You have to support the people who bring cool stuff to market - or nobody will bring cool stuff to market.

Rant over.

JSFM35X
07-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Just do what ever Todd says detailing-wise crew

Welcome back

Todd@RUPES
07-20-2015, 08:11 PM
So I`m assuming Rupes has accelerometer testing data of all the other manufactures orbital polisher systems to back up this claim then? Not saying the claim isn`t true, but I`ve used some other systems where where I couldn`t personally detect a difference.

The internal testing done at RUPES is very sophisticated. The engineer a lot of systems for a lot of companies in Europe. As you can imagine, there are a number of highly educated engineers and creative powerhouses inside the company. With the acquisition of Cyclo Toolmakers in CO, the teams strength is further fortified. Cody, the former owner of Cyclo and VP of Operations is a Harvard educated business man and engineer. However, some things are so readily apparent that testing isn`t needed (although it is still performed).

It is also why I suggest that user do the comparison themselves.

The vibration management of a large diameter random orbital polisher is absolutely critical. Something that is traveling in a circumference with a 21mm diameter is placing a huge amount of stress on the internal components in the tool. I am surprised that you cannot feel a difference between the BigFoot System and other systems, it`s pretty significant. Then again, you and I are old school. Maybe those years of slinging a PC have caught up to you old friend. :)

Todd@RUPES
07-20-2015, 08:15 PM
You gotta read between the lines here. Honestly, if I was Rupes - I`d be pissed someone (tried to) copy our flag ship machine and system approach down to an identical counterweight, the throw (waiting for their Duetto knock-off), and the number of holes (I think it`s around 32) on the BP shroud.

Then they glue some rubber to the outside and say that is an advantage. Of course it`s all dressed up and sold as a kit - just like Rupes. They even include "the washer" (Duh? If you were confident in your design - why would you include something to modify it ???). Then they get a bunch of pro detailers who got free machines come on here to shill it.

But, as we know - the copy will never be as good as the original. I have a shelf full of products from the copy cat company. I won`t be replacing any of those when they run out.

Quite frankly, that company makes some decent products (they also make some mediocre products), but they don`t make anything that I couldn`t replace from someone else. Not a single product. If they make a single class leading product, please feel free to list it here:

(just one is sufficient)

Detailing isn`t a billion dollar market. You have to support the people who bring cool stuff to market - or nobody will bring cool stuff to market.

Rant over.

Id much rather talk about the engineering of our systems and pads rather than other systems.

No need to look between the lines. What I am trying to emphasize is the need for a random orbital polisher, particularly a long throw tool, to be as perfectly balanced as possible. I really don`t pay attention to other systems, but what I am concerned with is to make sure that everybody who is a user of RUPES BigFoot tools to understand how important balance is.

I cannot tell you how many times at various trade shows that I will the appropriate BigFoot pad onto somebody else`s polisher and watched the light bulb go off: "So that is what it feels like to be vibration free." :)

Todd@RUPES
07-20-2015, 08:23 PM
So if someone changed the backing plate but it was of the same mass and same size that shouldn`t affect the vibration correct?

Greg, I am not an engineer but I trust the ones that I have frequent contact with. The backing plate is only part of the system, the other part being the mass of the pad and the center of gravity of the pad/plate combination (among many many other details). So if you went with smaller plate (that had identical mass) and a smaller pad (that somehow managed to have the same mass as the larger pad) I think you would be close. However, this is assuming you had near vibration free running to begin with.

JSFM35X
07-20-2015, 08:35 PM
Todd

Been to the Mr up North collection lately? Were ready for another epic post.

Ronkh
07-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Todd

Been to the Mr up North collection lately? Were ready for another epic post.

30 cars in 10 days