PDA

View Full Version : Which it bettter and why: Megs Ultimate Wax or NXT 2.0?

Pages : [1] 2

Lonnie
07-20-2015, 08:07 AM
I am posing this question about these two Meguiar`s over-the-counter (OTC) waxes/sealants to fellow Autopians for their thoughts and opinion.
I would think that there are literally hundreds of forum lurkers (AKA, non-posting guest readers) and detailing do-it-your-selfers who buy OTC products on a regular basis for their own car-care needs. Since Meguiar`s is one of the most popular and recognized manufacturers of OTC car-care products, not to mention it`s availability at almost every large-box store and auto parts store across America, I am looking for input on these two popular last-step products (LSPs).
I also realize that NXT 2.0 has been out longer than the Ultimate Wax and is less-expensive (AKA cheaper) than the Ultimate Wax, hence it would behoove me to ask if the Ultimate Wax is worth the difference in price.
Your thoughts, please.

jrock645
07-20-2015, 09:09 AM
I`ve used M21, M26 and gold class carnauba all with good results. I`d think either of those products would work as advertised and give a good result

RaysWay
07-20-2015, 09:17 AM
I haven`t used either of those products in awhile, but I remember preferring the NXT 2.0.

The Guz
07-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Ultimate wax will be longer lasting than NXT. I have used both and they both work well. Both are sealants. One is really not better than the other. Ultimate Wax will not haze like a traditional wax. It can be removed after 3-5 min from a panel. NXT on the other hand, will dry to a haze. Ultimate Liquid Wax will not stain trim. The paste version will. NXT will also stain trim if left to dry.

Pats300zx
07-20-2015, 10:10 AM
I also believe that NXT has some cleaners in it. I am pretty sure that you will be greater durability with Ultimate Wax or M21.

Ccrew
07-20-2015, 11:27 AM
I haven`t used either of those products in awhile, but I remember preferring the NXT 2.0.

I have both. I actually prefer the NXT, because to my untrained eye it has a bit more pop. Since I think that itll probably come out that they`re the same in different bottles or something. :P

The Guz
07-20-2015, 11:35 AM
M21 is the pro version of NXT. Over on the Meguiar`s forum it`s been stated that NXT has no cleaners in it. M21, NXT and Ultimate Wax are polish waxes. Not enough to do any sort of cleaning as they are still considered finishing sealants.

Loach
07-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Ultimate is more hydrophobic than NXT 2.0, so you`ll get better water beading out of it if that`s something you like to see. I like to switch products up a lot and I enjoy using both of them. I prefer working with NXT 2.0 liquid over Ultimate Liquid because it smells fantastic. And Ultimate Paste really is a great paste wax to work with IMO, so between the two when I feel like doing everything by hand I`ll go with the Ultimate Paste, and when I need something quick with a DA I`ll grab NXT 2.0 liquid. Both look great and are easy to apply and remove.

Paintxpert
07-20-2015, 11:47 AM
They are very similar if you ask me. When a company needs an "infusion" they do "marketing hype" and minor changes and WALLAH, people like us spend our money. I have seen so many duplicate products over the last 45 years, I could wall paper my cellar with all the labels. Many times new products are just more of the same. There are some great products out now. Products that enable even newbies to look like they know what they are doing. Can there be improvements to a product that creates "optical perfection" on the paint surfaces? I dont think so, once your have the panels perfect you have arrived. Sometimes you can use different products to arrive at the same end. "Perfection" Meguires has some killer products, make no mistake about it.

Pats300zx
07-20-2015, 12:22 PM
M21 is the pro version of NXT. Over on the Meguiar`s forum it`s been stated that NXT has no cleaners in it. M21, NXT and Ultimate Wax are polish waxes. Not enough to do any sort of cleaning as they are still considered finishing sealants.

Trust me. I remember the whole NXT debate from years ago and whether it had cleaners and mild fillers.

Accumulator
07-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Heh heh, the way Meguiar`s uses words like "polish" can certainly muddy the waters!

I`ve only used NXT once so I`m far from knowledgeable about it, but since it doesn`t remove underlying applications of their "Pure Polishes" the cleaners can`t be very potent (if it has any at all; many LSPs do a little cleaning just through solvent-action and the mechanics of application). I did notice a *tiny* bit of filling, but nothing like what I`d expected from all the pre-release talk about it.

EdLancer
07-21-2015, 03:03 PM
M16 is the only LSP I like from Meg`s. I used their NXT as a sealant before applying a LSP simply because I wanted to get rid of it.
The purple M21 is junk in my books, will mold and separate as it is a water based product.

Street5927
07-27-2015, 07:54 PM
I have only used the NXT in the past just to try it out. It was a while ago, but if I remember correctly, it went on and came off with ease, but it seemed to leave a "greasy" look from the oils, so I haven`t used it since.

Accumulator
07-28-2015, 01:48 PM
EdLancer- Let me know if you ever need more M16 ;) Mine needs to find an appreciative new home.

EdLancer
07-29-2015, 08:33 PM
EdLancer- Let me know if you ever need more M16 ;) Mine needs to find an appreciative new home.

Thanks for the offer, I still have 8 brand new tins :unsure: