PDA

View Full Version : To coat or not to coat?

Pages : [1] 2

The Guz
07-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Aright well I have been going back and forth on whether or not to coat or just seal/wax my 2002 Camaro SS.

A little background on it. I have had close to 10 years now and when I bought it from a collector, it had 3K miles on it. It`s currently sitting at 14K miles. This is the garage queen so it spends more time in the garage than anything. The last time I sealed and waxed it with M21/M26 and that was over a year ago.

I do have the blackfire combo sitting on the shelf waiting to be put on something. I also have some Ameriarmour coating as well.

Figured I would get some thoughts on what some of you would do.

Here`s the most recent photo after using some of the new Blackfire Spray Wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2878/medium/IMG_3609a.jpg

jrock645
07-17-2015, 10:13 PM
I`m going to be coating my dd here before winter, but part of me will miss getting to wax all the time. For you, since you don`t wax so often a coating might be perfect. They look great and once it`s done, it`s done. I think it`d make a to of sense for you.

Scottwax
07-17-2015, 11:43 PM
On my own vehicles, I only use coatings now. Makes it so easy, just wash every 7-10 days and it looks amazing.

The Guz
07-18-2015, 02:14 AM
I`m going to be coating my dd here before winter, but part of me will miss getting to wax all the time. For you, since you don`t wax so often a coating might be perfect. They look great and once it`s done, it`s done. I think it`d make a to of sense for you.

On a daily driver I could definitely see this. I am planning to do this on mine as well. I already coated my dad`s 02 Z28 and it looks great and so far it`s doing a great job in protection.

On my own vehicles, I only use coatings now. Makes it so easy, just wash every 7-10 days and it looks amazing.

The good thing is I don`t have to wash this car to often. If I do it`s typically a rinseless/waterless to remove any dust or light dirt if any.

Still going back and forth on this. But heavily leaning on coating it.

silverfox
07-18-2015, 02:35 AM
Once you coat, routine maintenance is a breeze..

Ronkh
07-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Do it !!!

BF, nice and friendly. Dunno about Ameriarmour.

kbmag1
07-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Being a garage queen, maybe Gloss coat??? That way if you had the burning desire or unable to resist the urge you could put a show wax or topper on it.

tropicsteve
07-18-2015, 07:08 AM
I say bf coat it and wax whenever it makes you happy. :bigups

MiVor
07-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Nice ride.
I`ve yet to use a `coating` as right now I`m into Duragloss sealant. However, assuming the paint is flawless, a coating certainly is an option. Perhaps more important (protection) for a daily driver than a true garage queen... (I would think that any good LSP would last a really long time on a garage queen, especially for a white car in California). Then again, if a coating lasts up to a year on a driver, it should last even longer on a garage queen....right? ... so all you need to do is the periodic wash and that might be just a quick detail or no rinse wipe down if/when you see dust. Coat it and cover it in the garage and you might only be washing it once in a blue moon!
So go for it...what the heck.

XxBoostinxX
07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
My Saleen has pretty much become a garage queen and I decided to coat it. Mainly because it helps it stay mar free and if it ever needs polished I am mainly just lightly polishing the coating.

JSFM35X
07-18-2015, 11:32 AM
I say coat it. No reason not to. If you like the wax look go with polish angel Viking coat. If you like the hard candy shell look go with a coating like EXO, 22ple or gloss coat. I have used all of the above and you can`t go wrong.

XxBoostinxX
07-18-2015, 11:55 AM
I say coat it. No reason not to. If you like the wax look go with polish angel Viking coat. If you like the hard candy shell look go with a coating like EXO, 22ple or gloss coat. I have used all of the above and you can`t go wrong.

Viking coat would probably be a great idea for the SS. Great looks and durability. When my Black Label starts to wear I will be going with Viking Coat next.

The Guz
07-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks fellas. I`m not buying any other products anytime soon. I`m good with the LSP`s I have. I have plenty of the Ameriarmour left over after I did my dad`s Camaro. It is very user friendly coating. Plus I also still have the new Pinnacle Black Label V2 that I was sent to review from Nick over at Autogeek.

madicev8
07-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Great looking Camaro.

JSFM35X
07-18-2015, 01:28 PM
You won`t be sorry. It looks great. I`ll keep you posted on durability. So far loving the look.

Viking coat would probably be a great idea for the SS. Great looks and durability. When my Black Label starts to wear I will be going with Viking Coat next.