PDA

View Full Version : Coatings

Pages : [1] 2

ShakingHorizons
07-13-2015, 08:49 PM
I am new to the whole "coating" part of detailing so I need some assistance. I primarily use Zaino for detailing as it has served me very well over the years, but I do not see a sealant listed on their website (I don`t believe Z-CS is a true sealant). Based off of the searching I have done I have come up with the following -

Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating
Chemical Guys Jetseal 109
Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection

I am looking for something that is relativity easy to apply and remove, as well as protect the paint from bird bombs, automatic car washes, etc for at least a year at a time.

I don`t know anything about the above products, other than some say Four Star UPP doesn`t play well with some coatings. Thanks in advance!

(I accidentally used the term "sealant" in a prior thread, so I started a new with with the correct terminology.)

This is the thread that got me interested -
http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing-product-discussion/157479-grand-finale-optimum-opti-coating-durability-test-review.html?highlight=finale

BTW, this isn`t for my own vehicle, but rather family members that live too far away to complete maintenance details, and I can`t talk them out of going through swirl-o-matics.

Mike lambert
07-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Take a look at Kamakaze products. Very easy, and very durable

Thomas Dekany
07-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Out of the 3 only listed, only Gloss Coat will prevent bird poop from etching the clear. Car washes with brushes will abrade ANY coating away over time. Even Opti Coat Pro.

52split
07-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Optimum Gloss is the best as far as ease of use, shine, etc....going on close to a year on my car and looks just as good as day one....

https://youtu.be/EREv5ldz6rE

EREv5ldz6rE

ShakingHorizons
07-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

FYI - I am not stuck on those 3, I am open to options!

XxBoostinxX
07-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Have you looked into the Pinnacle Black Label Coating? I really enjoy mine. It is super slick and glossy. Also really easy to apply. When it wears off I will be going with Optimum Gloss Coat or PolishAngel Viking Coat.

silverfox
07-14-2015, 09:39 AM
The easiest coating (actually more like a super sealant) on the planet to apply that looks great and lasts about a year, and is not susceptible to water spot etching like silica based coating are...and is $30...sonus ion. You cannot mess this up.

XxBoostinxX
07-14-2015, 09:51 AM
The easiest coating (actually more like a super sealant) on the planet to apply that looks great and lasts about a year, and is not susceptible to water spot etching like silica based coating are...and is $30...sonus ion. You cannot mess this up.

I have been thinking about using Sonus ION for my standard Sealant/Coating for customers. How many applications can you get out of a bottle?

Accumulator
07-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Huh, could`ve sworn I posted to this thread yesterday (about how I use UPP on the S8 and generally do not recommend it).

IMO if it`s gonna get run through the swirl-o-matic, the whole idea of trying to keep it really nice (especially from a distance) gets, uhm....problematic. It`d be easy to waste a whole lotta time/effort without ending up with anything long-term to show for it.

ShakingHorizons
07-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Huh, could`ve sworn I posted to this thread yesterday (about how I use UPP on the S8 and generally do not recommend it).

IMO if it`s gonna get run through the swirl-o-matic, the whole idea of trying to keep it really nice (especially from a distance) gets, uhm....problematic. It`d be easy to waste a whole lotta time/effort without ending up with anything long-term to show for it.

You did post to my thread yesterday, but I used the term "sealant" as opposed to "coating", so I deleted it and started over.

The Guz
07-14-2015, 04:12 PM

I agree.

If you are going to take it through an automatic car wash just stick with AIO and use that routinely.

ShakingHorizons
07-14-2015, 05:03 PM
I agree.

If you are going to take it through an automatic car wash just stick with AIO and use that routinely.

I`m not taking anything through those god awful machines, but I can`t stop family members (no matter how much proof I show them) from going.

nothingface5384
07-14-2015, 07:56 PM
I was going to go with element 115? System X.
but they dont sell direct anymore only to shops..
check out Polish Angels viking coatn and glass coat system

Accumulator
07-15-2015, 10:26 AM
I`m not taking anything through those god awful machines, but I can`t stop family members (no matter how much proof I show them) from going.

Well, lots of people are like that :D So I wouldn`t knock yourself out doing work that`ll get undone right away. Hey...just cleaning the paint really well and having *something* on it will go a long way.

While Autopians might cringe at the idea, plenty of people do OK (by their standards) just running their vehicles through a carwash, driving them home, and then going over them with some product like an AIO or a CleanerWax. If that Product is *really* easy to use, then even a non-Autopian might do it (KAIO comes to mind, though AutoGlym SRP would probably be better).

jrock645
07-15-2015, 10:45 PM
I`m going to coat my moms car next month for her bday, and probably my own before winter. I keep going back and forth between the black label coating and cquartz.