PDA

View Full Version : 303 and bugs!

MiVor
06-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Not long after I got the truck I realized I needed more secure space for tools, trailer hitch, ratchet straps, tarp, boat stuff... so I went and bought a truck toolbox.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27896&stc=1

This made the already short bed (6.5`) even shorter and in winter I found myself shoveling snow outta the bed too often. Last month I pulled the toolbox out to get a couple of loads of mulch hay for the garden.
I decided a roll-up tonnaeu cover, locking tailgate and a couple of (easily removable) bins in the back would be much better...(you don`t know what you know till you know it)...

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27894&stc=1

http://www.autopia.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27895&stc=1

After installing the tonnaeu cover, of course I treated it with 303 Aerospace Protectant. The next morning, the cover was loaded with tiny dead bugs! (sorry, no pics of the genocide). I guess some critters are attracted to 303 ?!?!

TuxedoTaurus
06-24-2015, 09:48 AM
I get that every morning it dews. There will be trails from, and dead bugs on roof and trunk lid.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

trashmanssd
06-24-2015, 09:50 AM
I have the same set up but I have hard Tri-fold tonnaeu cover. I have cargo bar as you do to hold my craftsman 250 piece tool set from sliding around and have a similar cargo box full of tow straps tie down strap tow chain red shop rags brake clean wd40 and a old fishing box full of loose tools and fasteners. I used 303 on mine also but was early spring not a lots bugs out yet. I just tried Blackfire trim and tire sealant on it in a test square while I was treating the rest my plastics with it. Looks really good beads a lot better but seems to be attracting a ton of dust and pollen, haven`t washed yet since applying will see if it keeps its looks but looses the annoying attraction to dust.

MiVor
06-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Hmm...maybe it was dew and they drowned?

I looked at tri-fold, but decided on the roll-up vinyl instead. So far I like it a lot! Is the tri-fold vinyl clad?
I sealed the bulkhead and the tailgate so it should be fairly weather tight which I`ll really enjoy next winter as I just push any collecting snow off with a push broom. Went to the drive-in last week. Parked backwards and sat in the bed for the movies. It was great and having blankets, pillows, cushions and such stowed back there for the drive was pretty cool.

trashmanssd
06-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Yeah it has vinyl over the top of the aluminum for a sleeker look. I had a old school roll up that you had to snap all the snaps on and in winter I hated having to roll it up only for fear of having to un rool and button it down. Yours looks like the new rollup type that are a lot easier. Mine was $$$ but I put it through my business so pre tax money makes it more palatable. I had a Chevy Avalanhce with the hard cover and I really like that so I went hard cover again.

MiVor
06-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Well mine is TruXedo`s low end TruXport @about $300. It has velcro along the sides instead of snaps (most these days do I think).
It has a 5 year warranty. My one reservation is that this model has a non-adjustable spring tension control and they say it may seem tight in warm/hot weather and have more slack when it`s cold. So far from 50`s to 80`s it`s stayed nice and tight.
After I first installed it I realized I needed a bulkhead seal kit because of my bed rail covers. I called TruXedo and they sent me one no charge. I also got/installed a tailgate seal so it would be fairly water/snow/dust tight.
Anyway, the setup allows me to carry (more) stuff in the back (than with the toolbox) that would otherwise blow out (or get wet) with the flexibility to quickly roll-up the cover to carry anything tall (like those 20 bales of mulch hay).

trashmanssd
06-25-2015, 07:39 AM
This is the one I got but if it was out my pay check take home money would have been one similar to yours. I liked this ones quick fold up and fold down to get in and out the back and also that it sits almost flush with the top rail. really looks sleek can barely tell its on there from 15-20 feet.

http://autocustoms.com/images/product/large/1018_1_.jpg

MiVor
06-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Looks really good. I like the look, but I`m not sure I like the internal gutters and drain tubes?