PDA

View Full Version : I Polished My Car With A PC - Which One Did I Use?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Blinded
05-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I`m might be fighting a losing battle here but I figure I will give it a shot anyway and see what happens.

I see all over the internet that people say they "Polished their car with a PC". The only problem is, I don`t know which PC you are talking about.

Porter Cable makes:

PC Dual-Action (DA) Polishers
http://www.detailcity.org/gallery/data/500/PC-7424.jpg

PC Rotary Polishers
http://www.detailcity.org/gallery/data/500/pc-7428.jpg

PC Power Paint Removers
http://www.detailcity.org/gallery/data/500/pc-74031.jpg

So I have to wonder, how many people are confused when they here that someone polished their paint with a "PC"? Did you polish with a PC DA Polisher? Did you use a PC Rotary Polisher? Oh my goodness did you use a PC Power Paint Remover!?!?!?!

I think to help avoid and clear up any confusion that Detail City members should really make it a point to be very specific about what we used to polish paint. After all, this is DETAIL City.

For instance, saying "I used a PC" could leave someone VERY confused about which Porter Cable power tool that you used. Saying that you used a PC DA, PC 7424 or PC 7336 would be of tremendous help, especially to someone new to internet forums that may not be familiar with the lingo.

If you want to keep it down to two letters, I think that DA would be more helpful than PC. At least we would know what "kind" of tool was used and not just which brand of tool was used.

Of course, this is just my opinion but I do think that we should be trend starters here and start good trends that will be helpful to others.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Travis

GregCavi
05-07-2006, 06:13 PM
The PC here @ DC is understood as the PC DA machine.

Greg

Blinded
05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
The PC here @ DC is understood as the PC DA machine.

Greg

That`s my point. It`s understood by YOU, but what about someone new to the site? Don`t we owe it to them to be more specific? Isn`t the PC-7428 a PC too?

Oh well, I might not be able to change the world but hopefully this thread will be found by people that are looking for information and maybe, just maybe, it might help someone that is confused.

joe.p
05-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Porter Cable 7428 is a rotary

The topic is a Dual Action polisher .That is the one used by many here..

CalgaryDetail
05-07-2006, 07:14 PM
i know what your trying to say. I have a friend who used to detail a few cars when he was the lot boy at a dealership. i was talking to him and i was like i just bought a porter cable and he`s like u got a table saw ? Its something that to the outside world that`s not always understood however being that this is a detailing forum it is a given that pc=porter cable much like lol= laugh out load or jk= just kidding. It`s computer talk

Blinded
05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Porter Cable 7428 is a rotary

The topic is a Dual Action polisher .That is the one used by many here..

Joe, thanks for your post.

Blinded
05-07-2006, 07:31 PM
I know what your trying to say. I have a friend who used to detail a few cars when he was the lot boy at a dealership. i was talking to him and i was like i just bought a porter cable and he`s like u got a table saw ? Its something that to the outside world that`s not always understood however being that this is a detailing forum it is a given that pc=porter cable much like lol= laugh out load or jk= just kidding. It`s computer talk

My whole point being, I think it would be better to use the term DA to describe a dual-action polisher than to use PC to describe it becuase of that fact that Porter Cable makes ALOT of tools besides the the DA. Then the "computer talk" can be more helpful to people.

sneek
05-07-2006, 07:34 PM
I have both the rotary and the PC :p

Blinded
05-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I have both the rotary and the PC

I give up....

budman3
05-07-2006, 07:43 PM
I can see what you are saying but the two of them are easily distinguishable. If someone uses a rotary, they`ll usually say "Rotary" not Makita 9977 (or whaterver) or Hitachi, Dewalt, etc and if someone uses a Porter Cable Dual Action they usually refer to it as the PC. The acronym `PC` is listed as Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher in Jaybs95 acronym list, if confusion were to arise I suppose.

Blinded
05-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I can see what you are saying but the two of them are easily distinguishable. If someone uses a rotary, they`ll usually say "Rotary" not Makita 9977 (or whaterver) or Hitachi, Dewalt, etc and if someone uses a Porter Cable Dual Action they usually refer to it as the PC. The acronym `PC` is listed as Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher in Jaybs95 acronym list, if confusion were to arrise I suppose.

With that reasoning, why don`t people say I used my MAK, DW or HT? But what do they say when they use a rotary made by Porter Cable? Can they say they used their PC?

Don`t you think that there is a double-standard here? People say they used a rotary because they used a rotary. So why not say you used a DA when you used a dual-action machine? Oh well, like I said, I know this is like fighting a losing battle.

The member that told his friend he got a PC and his friend thought he got a new table saw proved my entire point. Time for me to just put up the white flag, give up and realize that folks are going to keep on doing what they`ve been doing.

Later,

Travis

sneek
05-07-2006, 07:55 PM
i know that you are right but on most detailing forums people know that the PC is a DA.
BTW i have heard someone use DW.

Blinded
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
i know that you are right but on most detailing fourms people know that the PC is a DA.
BTW i have heard someone use DW.

But WHICH DW were they talking about???

Dewalt makes a dual-action polisher too.

The whole reason that I started this thread was because I have seen people get confused and I wanted to see if others were willing to start a new trend and make a change to end the confusion. If you called Porter Cable and said you had question about a PC I bet they would ask you which one cause everything that they make is a PC.

sneek
05-07-2006, 08:04 PM
lol i can see that your crazy about this so next time ill call it the PC DA

joyriide1113
05-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Hmmm. Why don`t we make sure we change the name of a sandwich from ham and cheese to ham and swiss cheese? Maybe because most understand it a certain way, and if question arises people just ask..

Woah! Just re-read my post and it sounded a bit harsh. My bad. But yea I can see myself saying DA in instead of PC, for about 2 weeks and then Ill forget. lol