PDA

View Full Version : Product selection help!

Enilder
06-14-2015, 08:06 PM
First of all, excited to be here. Tons of reading materials and product reviews. It seems like a go-to forum for any detailing related items.

So, why am I here? I recently picked up a new car (Porsche Macan) and got it fully opti-coated (exterior & wheels) with interior detailed. I moved away from the detailing world for about a decade but I am coming back. Unfortunately, I got nothing (not even a garden hose). For now, I am planning to use one of self-wash stations down the street, and follow one of CG`s video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ32CqvgtMA).

So, here`s my shopping list, and would like to get some feedback from members here. I am looking for product guidance and if I missed anything.

Exterior:
3 bucket method:
-3x CG`s 4.5 gallon bucket
-3x grit guard
-3x gamma seal lid

For washing:
-CG`s honeydew snow foam cleanser (1 gal)
-Meguiar`s MF wash mitt: I am not quite ready to jump into more high maintenance mitts (sheepskin, lambwool, WF, etc.)

For drying:
-2x Dry Me A River JR (Dry Me A River Jr. 20 x 40 Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel | The Rag Company (http://www.theragcompany.com/Dry-Me-A-River-Jr-20-x-40-Premium-Microfiber-Waffle-Weave-42009-2040.htm))

Misc.:
-Step ladder (Cosco 11-880PBLW2 Max Platinum Work Platform, 3-Step - Step Ladder - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-11-880PBLW2-Platinum-Platform-3-Step/dp/B002DPVATU/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1434243517&sr=1-2&keywords=step+stool&refinements=p_72%3A1248909011):) 5`10" but still can`t reach the roof comfortably...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional questions/help:
-I never used wheel brush and wheel well brush. I didn`t notice it until I inspected the vehicle that it has a carpet-like material in wheel well. I am not sure if it needs special treatment. Any product recommendations for wheels and wheel wells? It seems like people get brushes for each but not sure what`s popular.
-Tire dresser: My knowledge is very outdated but I remember reading something about damages done to tires. Is it still true?
-Should I consider waxing my car on top of opti-coat?
-Not sure where to start with interior...Help?

Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

alexxxx89
06-14-2015, 09:03 PM
I got a pair of wool mitts (BOGO at Autogeek) for cleaning wheels, $10. They are awesome. You could get the brushes (everyone makes them, not just Wheel Woolies).

Stay away from any tire dressing with silicone in it!

Car pro Dlux is a strong contender in the tire coatings category.
Tuf Shine makes a cleaning/coating kit for $40 (brush, cleaner, clear coat and applicator).
You can also use Meg`s hyper dressing for the most bang for your buck.

If your carpet is cleaned, 303 Aerospace protectant is a good choice.

Why 3 buckets?

pheerix
06-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Why not just do a rinseless wash regimen with ONR/UWW+/D114? You can do the whole car in the convenience of your own garage. Do the GD method and you only need one bucket and a bunch of microfiber towels but no need for gamma lids, grit guards, separate wash mitts etc. Also you can buy 5 gallon buckets and gamma lids elsewhere for much cheaper say at a Home improvement store that starts with Home and ends with Depot. I`ve personally never used CG stuff and I`ve read great things about them but they seem they re-label and mark up stuff you can find elsewhere for cheaper.