PDA

View Full Version : Types of interstate drivers

Pages : [1] 2

Bunky
05-28-2015, 07:35 AM
When driving on a 2 lane interstate, you get to notice drivers. This is based upon experiences in Miss, Ala, Ga, Florida, SC. NC.

1. left lane drivers - even after noticing dozens of cars pass them on right, they still stay in left lane

2. slow passers - these are the folks that are going 2 to 3mph faster than the ones they are passing and do not speed up when passing so take a long time to pass. Trucks and RV`s also tend to do this so bottling up everyone. This really happens a lot on i-95.

3. A parallel to the slow passes, there is the fast right passer who goes up the right lane to get ahead of everyone else in the left lane behind the slow passer then squeeze in causing brake lights galore

4. speed up / slow down -- these are the ones that will pass you going a pretty fast slip, get back in right lane, and then slow down so you end up passing them again only to see them do the same thing

5. the slow driver - these are the ones that are good drivers that stay in right lane but go 5 to 10mph below everyone else. You take a break at a rest area or get gas and you end up passing them a couple times.

6. weavers - these are the ones that constantly pass right or left trying to make their way through the pack

7. the tail gaters that follow the one ahead no matter what - these tend to follow trucks or other cars and if the truck slows down they slow down rather than pay attention and just pass. They seem to want the a no thinking driving approach.

8. the follower - these are the ones that want speed as much as possible but they mostly doing it when following someone else (not being the trail blazer). On their own, they slow down but when someone speeds by at a much faster clip they tag along.

The good news is that interstate driving is a lot better. The majority drive at or slightly higher than posted speed (around Atlanta add 10 mph minimum) so flow is good with fewer slow drivers. I credit this in part of much better cars (more hp engines, better handling) and states increasing speed limits to what people tend to want to drive (around 65 to 70). Also, the local and state police seem less intent on general speed traps (although SC and GA still seem to do this more than others). That is, unless there is some specific safety issue with accidents in a certain area they do not regulate it as they did (Gov`ment not forcing them either)

SYMAWD
05-28-2015, 08:26 AM
When driving on a 2 lane interstate, you get to notice drivers. This is based upon experiences in Miss, Ala, Ga, Florida, SC. NC.

1. left lane drivers - even after noticing dozens of cars pass them on right, they still stay in left lane

2. slow passers - these are the folks that are going 2 to 3mph faster than the ones they are passing and do not speed up when passing so take a long time to pass. Trucks and RV`s also tend to do this so bottling up everyone. This really happens a lot on i-95.

3. A parallel to the slow passes, there is the fast right passer who goes up the right lane to get ahead of everyone else in the left lane behind the slow passer then squeeze in causing brake lights galore

4. speed up / slow down -- these are the ones that will pass you going a pretty fast slip, get back in right lane, and then slow down so you end up passing them again only to see them do the same thing

5. the slow driver - these are the ones that are good drivers that stay in right lane but go 5 to 10mph below everyone else. You take a break at a rest area or get gas and you end up passing them a couple times.

6. weavers - these are the ones that constantly pass right or left trying to make their way through the pack

7. the tail gaters that follow the one ahead no matter what - these tend to follow trucks or other cars and if the truck slows down they slow down rather than pay attention and just pass. They seem to want the a no thinking driving approach.

8. the follower - these are the ones that want speed as much as possible but they mostly doing it when following someone else (not being the trail blazer). On their own, they slow down but when someone speeds by at a much faster clip they tag along.

The good news is that interstate driving is a lot better. The majority drive at or slightly higher than posted speed (around Atlanta add 10 mph minimum) so flow is good with fewer slow drivers. I credit this in part of much better cars (more hp engines, better handling) and states increasing speed limits to what people tend to want to drive (around 65 to 70). Also, the local and state police seem less intent on general speed traps (although SC and GA still seem to do this more than others). That is, unless there is some specific safety issue with accidents in a certain area they do not regulate it as they did (Gov`ment not forcing them either)
I`m number 8 during the day. At night I just set my cruise around the speed limit and hang in the right lane.

House of Wax
05-28-2015, 08:43 AM
#1 Makes me wish I had push bars on the front of my truck

RaysWay
05-28-2015, 09:01 AM
I`ve noticed since they passed the left lane law* that the left lane has started to work a little better, but I`m still amazed at how many drivers don`t follow the rules of the road.

*Florida State Statute 316.081, “a driver may not continue to operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane if the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed.”

Marc Hufnagel
05-28-2015, 09:34 AM
I`ve noticed since they passed the left lane law* that the left lane has started to work a little better, but I`m still amazed at how many drivers don`t follow the rules of the road.

*Florida State Statute 316.081, “a driver may not continue to operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane if the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed.”

Then let`s say mr `slow` is doing 5 over - then there are 2 violations - left lane blocking and a speeder behind them. So the left-laner gets a ticket and the speeder shouldn`t ? hmm

rottenII
05-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Then let`s say mr `slow` is doing 5 over - then there are 2 violations - left lane blocking and a speeder behind them. So the left-laner gets a ticket and the speeder shouldn`t ? hmm
Just my opinion but the left lane person causes a much bigger traffic problem than the guy moving along at 15mph over the limit. While you are technically correct, slower traffic keeping to the right makes for a much smoother running interstate. If someone wants to take the chance of getting pulled over for speeding, that`s on them.

House of Wax
05-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Completely agree

bigfish528
05-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Sad truth is people just don`t care and I mean they have no regard for anybody on the road but themselves.These following scenarios happen more on other roads/streets than interstates,one that gets me are the drivers who pull out in front of you when there is not a reasonably safe distance from where they are turning from and where you are and then drive slow (if you are going to do this at least mash the accelerator). another one that gets me are the people trying to merge into a lane then drive in the middle all the way up until they are near the light then turn into the lane cutting all these other drivers who were there first.

ZimRandy
05-28-2015, 04:22 PM
http://www.vote29.com/newmyblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/BannerTemp.jpg

Marc Hufnagel
05-28-2015, 06:14 PM
http://www.vote29.com/newmyblog/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/BannerTemp.jpg

sorry to say if I saw this it would make me stay right where I was. The closer you get, the slower I d go.

The Driver
05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Everyone gets passed...

Oh Yea an a mini 5000 lumen led light bar plus 2x 3000 lumen cubes + 3000 lumen drls + 3500 lumen high beams, that gets people moving hahahaha. Stay in front, get a tan.

wdmaccord
05-28-2015, 09:35 PM
You forgot about the guy that slows to 5 below the speed limit when they see a cop doing radar. I just keep my CC at 5 over and fly on by. If the cop wants to pull me over for that, I guess it`s just one of those days (and one of those cops). Just finished a 1,000 mile road trip. Fair to say I saw the complete list the last 2 days.

SYMAWD
05-28-2015, 10:13 PM
You forgot about the guy that slows to 5 below the speed limit when they see a cop doing radar. I just keep my CC at 5 over and fly on by. If the cop wants to pull me over for that, I guess it`s just one of those days (and one of those cops). Just finished a 1,000 mile road trip. Fair to say I saw the complete list the last 2 days.
When I know there is a cop I slow down to the speed limit. Today I was in the left lane going over the limit and since I travel the same road all the time I know where the cops are. All of the sudden I looked like the **** who cut all the way over to the right lane and slowed way down, but hey there was a cop 10 seconds later.

Bunky
05-29-2015, 06:19 AM

This is closer to my driving style. I set it usually at 5 mph over and not worry. There are usually plenty of others to feed the speed cops. I may go a little higher if everyone else is going that just not to slow others down.

Nizmo
05-30-2015, 10:51 AM
One thing I noticed driving in New York state, don`t go on green, go on red. Scared the crap outta me a couple times driving the company truck up there (boss`s personal work truck too, talk about nervous). I used to drive kind of fast, but after all the driving for this job, I just hang back and let the idiots do their thing.