PDA

View Full Version : Scuff Marks on Plastic?

Pages : [1] 2

Lazzman
05-23-2015, 01:54 PM
I am currently detailing a fairly new BMW X5 with a Light Beige interior, some of the hard plastic is scuffed with some black marks, particularly on the rear hatch. It looks like objects where rubbed up against it under acceleration. I have tried a few interior cleaners to take out the scuff marks including Megs APC mixed 4:1 with little results.

Does anyone have any suggestions on products or methods to help remove these scuff marks on light colored, hard interior plastics?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions B)

Rsurfer
05-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Is the plastic textured or smooth? If smooth and all else fails, try using Mr. Eraser, but be very gentle as it can be pretty aggressive.

Ronkh
05-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Apc

MiVor
05-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Full strength APC and elbow grease....or Magic Eraser.....(as already suggested)

Old Pirate
05-23-2015, 06:15 PM
Magic Eraser I wouldn`t use due to fact it can/will remove material and color too from that area your talking about. I been using 1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner and 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium using a microfiber pad.

MiVor
05-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Magic Eraser I wouldn`t use due to fact it can/will remove material and color too from that area your talking about. I been using 1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner and 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium using a microfiber pad.

I`ve used magic eraser on a lot of hard plastics and never seen it remove material or color - ???

MooreImpressive
05-23-2015, 09:08 PM
agree with pirate, unless you are going to be dressing it pretty well, Magic Eraser can and will damage the texture, color, and overall look of LOTS of materials. be very careful with them. BMW`s have very fragile interior pieces, in comparison to other brands, and should be treated as lightly as possible. they scuff very easily, and can be further damaged by harsh products even easier. I would use a Magic Eraser on it, but only after finding and checking a very hidden spot first. to some extent, it comes down to "whatever works", but keep in mind the value of the vehicle, and the general pickiness of those clients.

marlinspike
05-23-2015, 09:22 PM
Wurth cockpit cleaner, though it appears to be on backorder.

Old Pirate
05-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Some plastics with take it better then other`s and this product was never made to be use in automotive interiors, BMW`s seen to be the worst when using the Magic Eraser. Just be careful.

MiVor
05-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Some plastics with take it better then other`s and this product was never made to be use in automotive interiors, BMW`s seen to be the worst when using the Magic Eraser. Just be careful.

1) You fellas must be rubbin the heck outta that magic eraser foam pad in order to remove hard plastic! As with all things, the strength and degree of cleaning chemical and/or abrasive force must be relative to the condition and the desired outcome.
disclaimer: I`ll admit I`ve never taken a magic eraser to a Bimmer.

2) I question the notion that cleaning materials need to be `designed` for automotive use. Carpets, fabrics, vinyl and plastic are no different in cars than anywhere else. e.g. one of the best headliner/cloth seat cleaners is diluted liquid laundry detergent (simply designed to clean fabrics)....almost any APC or household carper cleaner and extraction works great for vehicle carpets...etc.
disclaimer: I have found some products `designed` for automotive use that work better....I choose Stoner`s Invisible Glass over Windex...303 Aerospace Protectant....etc.

Lazzman
05-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all of the great info

I am tempted to try the magic eraser but definitely nervous

The plastic has rougher, pebble type texture, similar to the texture of the leather seats.

I also read a thread from a few years back where someone suggested using a rubber pencil eraser? Anyone ever try this?

My next step is to try APC full strength and see what happens.

jmsc
05-25-2015, 05:56 PM
I`ve tried on a Honda interior plastic door sill shoe scuff marks the last few weeks: pencil erasure, Mr Magic Erasure, Sonax Erasure, P21S Total APC full strength, 1Z Cockpit Erasure, some final polishes... all to no avail.

1 product looked promising on a recommendation from Autopia or AG: tried 1Z Vinyl Plastic Cleaner and a new toothbrush, took some work and time but seemed to remove a small test scuff spot.

If you find something that really, really works let me know. This may be very dependent on the plastic finish itself.

Lazzman
05-26-2015, 11:59 PM
I just tried Megs APC undiluted and it did nothing, also tried Goof off and had no results, back to the drawing board

CDot
05-27-2015, 09:23 AM
I just tried Megs APC undiluted and it did nothing, also tried Goof off and had no results, back to the drawing board

All that and nothing????

Ronkh
05-27-2015, 09:25 AM

try apc etc, with terry cloth and not micro, see if that works