PDA

View Full Version : Finally detailing again! Optimum Gloss Coat or competitor?

Pages : [1] 2

ron231
05-22-2015, 02:10 PM
After moving I had to give up my detailing business for 3+ years but now I am back with a vengeance! While I was gone all of these new coatings came out which I find to be very intriguing. Because of my fantastic results with the rest of their line, I purchased optimum gloss coat. After reading some of peoples thoughts, I am starting to think I should return it for another coating. Fill me in guys! I fell out of the loop.

Thomas Dekany
05-22-2015, 04:39 PM
What have you read that was making you question the product?

House of Wax
05-22-2015, 04:44 PM
I don`t see any reason to not put it on, especially if you already have it

RaysWay
05-22-2015, 05:00 PM
In the last 3 years we`ve seen much more cost effective surface coatings hit the market. So as a business owner I can understand looking for the largest margins possible. I`d consider coatings like DP Paint Coating or DG Enviroshield for the average customer. Then save the more expensive coatings like Optimum Gloss-Coat for either higher end details or as an upsell. But coming from someone who has had Gloss-Coat on his car since it was released, I can tell you first hand this stuff is amazing.

For example, a 4 oz bottle of DP Paint Coating will coat ~10 cars for $50. Whereas a single car with Gloss-Coat will cost you $60.

IHA Mark
05-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Stick with Gloss-Coat. 10cc is easily enough to coat two vehicles, you can get out 4-5 of a 20cc syringe. It goes a LONG way.

I`ve used DP Paint Coating, Enviroshield, PBL Surface Coating, Wolf`s Hard body, all good stuff... but not even close to professional quality as Gloss-Coat is.

You get what you pay for, and with Gloss-Coat you get a premium product for a premium price.

Of course there is the CQuartz line, but I have never personally used it so will not comment on it. I know a lot of professionals offer either the Optimum or CarPro consumer lines, but usually not much beneath that.

Thomas Dekany
05-22-2015, 05:29 PM
The only Car pro product that you can compare Gloss Coat with is Finest. And that is a pro product.

Stick with Gloss-Coat. 10cc is easily enough to coat two vehicles, you can get out 4-5 of a 20cc syringe. It goes a LONG way.

I`ve used DP Paint Coating, Enviroshield, PBL Surface Coating, Wolf`s Hard body, all good stuff... but not even close to professional quality as Gloss-Coat is.

You get what you pay for, and with Gloss-Coat you get a premium product for a premium price.

Of course there is the CQuartz line, but I have never personally used it so will not comment on it. I know a lot of professionals offer either the Optimum or CarPro consumer lines, but usually not much beneath that.

Detail Impressions
05-23-2015, 12:28 AM
CarPro has different products: Cquartz, Cquartz UK all consumer products, they did this technology early. As Optimum had changed direction of their product line. Many changes have become more inline with CarPro, IGL and many more. Coatings are the hot and the marketplace has opened up and the consumer is forcing new products to market everyday to meet the end user consumer demands.
In my eyes all products are advertising "they have the best", older products change to become a new version, and new products offered different features and they to continue to change.

LostHighway
05-23-2015, 04:01 AM
Optimum Gloss Coat definitely has ease of application going for it. I don`t know what changes in chemical composition separate Gloss Coat from Opti-Coat but Opti-Coat has shown significantly better resistance to low pH cleaners than the competition. Assuming that remains true I think that has some real value. Looks are fairly subjective but gloss per se doesn`t do all that much for me, I don`t really like that gloss shell look on most colors. Some of the newer products like ArtDeSicko or Kamikaze ISM are said to offer a darker, deeper, richer look but I cant speak to this from direct personal experience nor to their other attributes or flaws. There are dozens of coatings out there, far more than most people are aware of, but I don`t think choosing Optimum is a mistake.

sealthedeal
05-23-2015, 04:33 AM
Carpro-us mention the 50ml CQuartzUK to do 4-7 average sized cars. If even its 4 for average sized sedan (can someone confirm?), that also makes it a great value at $70.

The Driver
05-23-2015, 09:20 AM
The only Car pro product that you can compare Gloss Coat with is Finest. And that is a pro product.

Why? Would love to hear your thoughts? I always use CQ UK. I love the stuff but what makes opt that much better?

TroyScherer
05-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Can you expand on this more? IMO GlossCoat is still new and un-proven to this point. And since regular CQ, CQUK and other prosumer coatings last 2 years as well they are all on the same level here. So i don`t see how the pro level should even be considered here.

ron231
05-24-2015, 03:21 AM
What have you read that was making you question the product?

Questionable durability and several have said that it added nothing to the look. While I know most of the look comes from prep, I do expect an LSP to add a little something.

ron231
05-24-2015, 03:22 AM
Also, I was planning on using the foam applicator inside rubber glove wrapped in micro-suede application method. Seems to be the best next to spraying.

Thomas Dekany
05-25-2015, 01:59 AM
Questionable durability and several have said that it added nothing to the look. While I know most of the look comes from prep, I do expect an LSP to add a little something.

Durability - it could be, it could also be improper prep. Who knows.

Look - if someone said that it didn`t add anything to the look? 1 - blind, 2 - works for the competition.

The product is extremely glossy.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8723/16976155756_feca9fcf7f_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/rS8eEC)_3290467 (https://flic.kr/p/rS8eEC) by Thomas Dekany (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasdekany/), on Flickr

Thomas Dekany
05-25-2015, 03:15 AM
Unproven - do you mean what if it outlasts the competition? New but similar to OC.

Can you expand on this more? IMO GlossCoat is still new and un-proven to this point. And since regular CQ, CQUK and other prosumer coatings last 2 years as well they are all on the same level here. So i don`t see how the pro level should even be considered here.